Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 01:10:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA fox in a cave. 2D Platformer (finally done!)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A fox in a cave. 2D Platformer (finally done!)  (Read 3017 times)
Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:06:49 AM »

A fox in a cave is a 2D action platformer where you play as a fox! (and psst, its all done! (well, almost))

https://jalapenosbud.itch.io/fox-in-a-cave

The game is about a fox who must save his love from an evil ancient boss that has taken her as a prisoner.

In the game you jump and shoot.

also slapped a trailer together, some feedback could be cool Smiley

trailer link: youtu.be/pYiWEEUNKi4

Here have some gifs:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:49:58 PM by Jalapenosbud » Logged

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:25:12 AM »

It's cute Smiley On which engine are you working?

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 02:29:51 AM »

It's cute Smiley On which engine are you working?

Thanks Smiley Using Unity 5 point something Tongue

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »

Devlog 1
Time for another quick update.

Here's some screenshots from in-game.

A new alien biome

Also added line of sight
Enemies now de-aggro when you get behind a wall or something

There's also a link in my signature if you wanna try a build of the game (theres no LoS in that build though, so enemies might behave weirdly).

Thats it for now, till next time!

Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »

Lookin good muchacho!  Cool

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »

Updated the main post with some gifs!

Also been working on a dialogue system, and a more "cinematic" story approach to the game. Story isnt necessary, but i think it helps making the game easier to design.

This is a gif of some of the dialogue that happens in the game. The glitch thingy is supposed to be another sprite, which havent been drawn yet, so thats why its a duplicate of the player Tongue

(oh yea, the link to the build of the game is really old, so theres none of that cool dialogue action, or a tutorial in there, its just a raw prototype, art is also outdated in it).

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »

So today i decided to make my own dialogue system in unity.
-First i had to find out how to read from the text file and just show lines of text in up on some UI text element.
-With that done i figured out how to make it auto-scroll, like a typewriter.
-and then to add some "polish" to it, i added how to make it pause abit after a comma.
-Then i made it split the first portion of the text line with the name into a separate ui text element, and have the second appear on the other text element.
-Made the length of the name of the character be automatic, rather than having to hardcode how long the name is.

And yea that's basically the process of me making my own little dialogue system. It was a fun little project and now i have something i understand more, rather than just copy pasta code. Plus, its reusable for further projects.

Heres a gif of it in action:

thx for reading. Untill next time!

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »

Looks lovely, reminds me of Fox Fights Back on Spectrum.

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 09:43:04 PM »

Looks lovely, reminds me of Fox Fights Back on Spectrum.

I'm glad to hear that you like it!

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »

So.. I finished the dialogue system and plugged it into the game, also changed the dialogue up abit.. Trying to go with a more "humourous" way? though im bad at comedy / writing.

Some cinematic stuff: (tho this one still need to have its dialogue re-written)

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »

This is looking really cool!

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »

This is looking really cool!

oo thank you! *motivation increases rapidly (like putting incremental code in the update loop without stopping it again)*

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 10:04:10 AM »

Can't go wrong with some classic jump 'n' shoot gameplay. The main character looks nice   Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »

Can't go wrong with some classic jump 'n' shoot gameplay. The main character looks nice   Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Ikr! i just have to make it interesting, since theres only 2 mechanics in the game, jump n shoot, but cheers!
And thanks ill let the artist know Smiley
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:27:58 PM by Jalapenosbud » Logged

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »

So.. today ive been busy with making new levels and filling them up with enemies to blast away at, hopefully there arent too many!

Also spend some hours fixing an annoying animation and timing bug, basically the teleport animation for this boss didnt sync up with the teleport logic, so it tp'ed before the animation played, and sometimes it kept looping etc.. very annoying  Mock Anger

but here it is, working, and as a little something he deserved to get blasted up, just to reap the fruit of my hard work. rip

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 01:29:03 PM »

I added some music (incompetech.com) to the game, and added a dialogue to the first boss dude.
Made the scenery behind the boss dude explode when u defeat the boss dude.
made him shoot more often
deactivated his collider when hes teleporting so u cant leet haxx him to death.

I have a build up on itch io:
https://jalapenosbud.itch.io/foxy-jump-and-shoot-game

Please let me know what you think of the music!

(there arent any music and sfx option yet, but it'll be added next)

Also looking for a name for the game; something like: A fox's adventure, or something similar. Any ideas?

cheers!

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »

Made a trailer! found the music online, and idk how the heck to embed videos here, they seem to break all the time, so heres a copy paste link

trailer link: youtu.be/pYiWEEUNKi4

any feedback is welcome as i want to make it something that can catch people's attention

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 08:24:08 AM »

The fox is one fiercely determined looking dude with a confident sort of "I got this" look to him.  The cave is a dark place with a lot of action and I love the sound effects!

The music is great, the cinematic intro is cool but the 8-bit music maybe doesn't mesh as well overall?.  Now I'm not saying he's Star Fox, but this is just quickly pulling a high energy track from the top of my favourites on SC, if you play this with the vid, it kind of goes good with it and gets me amped up imho https://soundcloud.com/kuro-19/star-fox-corneria-n163-remake.  I haven't played it yet so I understand it may not be as driving and may have lighter elements than this sort action music might make it out to be but the controls and explosions look good and well paced tho.

This game looks so up my alley in terms of what I like that if you need help with music maybe I could shelve my project for a day or two and try to assist with something if you want.   

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »

The fox is one fiercely determined looking dude with a confident sort of "I got this" look to him.  The cave is a dark place with a lot of action and I love the sound effects!

Yes, he's very determined to get rid of those pesky enemies! And oooh im so glad you like the sound effects, i thought they were over the top, like just a tad annoying to listen to Tongue

Hmm, i added the 8-bit music to sort of give it another vibe, but i can totally see what you mean. That sort of music would give it a whole other feel to it! The game will is abit more slow paced untill i find a balance and kinda get someone to playtest it, so i can see where its appropriate to fill the spots up with enemies, and where there should be a rest Tongue

And thanks! yea i havent really gotten any complaints about the controls other than the gravity, and the ability to run and shoot backwards is missing.

Oh wow! that would be really awesome! i have someone else offering me to make music for the game, but we're not that far in the process yet. I have a hard time deciding, cause u both make great music! Maybe we can make a two way deal, ill help you with something if theres something i can do for you, and u help me with the music? :D

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; been playing the game! :p

The jump and shoot sound effect sounds good to me.  The in game music sounds really good too, I like that!  Maybe the sound effect could be a little quieter.  I could take a stab at a music track for it and you could use it if you like, no obligation.  What kind of levels are you planning?  I don't have any enemies or really any other npc animations for my game if that's something..? Thanks!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic