Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 11:41:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamessuper mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: super mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?  (Read 24411 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »

not necessarily: yoshi and birdo
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/28/fake-or-gay-yoshi-and-turok
However there is no evidence their eggs aren't sterile

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »

i was thinking about yoshi. i got jumped here when i asked about yoshi's gender.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »

I honestly never considered Yoshi's gender. I guess it doesn't matter.

I do remember having arguments with my brother whether Kirby was male or female, or whether Pickachu was male or female in Smash Bros.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »

or nintendo has confirm that toad are asexual and choose their gender signifier when they like it

At least nintendo has a history of tempering with gender, now what about black nappy character  Beg

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »

Which makes sense, since she can lay eggs.
Honestly I was under the impression she was just throwing them (since they have to be collected and they can be thrown forwards, although it's implied that eggs thrown backwards are shot from...).

But yeah, the dialogue makes it clear several times that Kazooie is female.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2014, 04:12:19 AM »

Yoshi and Birdo laying eggs only make sense in video game logic.

Kazooie is the one who does make sense.

Well, up until she spits eggs out of her mouth.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2014, 04:20:52 AM »

stop it you sjws  Hand Shake Left Angry

olücæbelel
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2014, 06:41:40 AM »

Stop derailing the thread. You can take the discussion elsewhere.

Lucky's Tale yeah maybe. It does look pretty generic and with no design advancements after almost 20 years...like a garbage collecting game. That entire first stage was just tiny little jumps and collecting an annoying amount of junk. And the walking motion looks like it would be kind of slow. I get the feeling it was a "we wanted to make a 3D platformer" game vs. a "we have an idea we want to explore specificially with 3D platforming"...

play hydlide 2
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »

It's relevant to the identity of 3D mascot platformer, no works is independent from its cultural context  Big Laff

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »

Closer to teh subject of level design

Admire someone playing mario 64 without pressing the A button (jump)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=0x+A+Presses

It actually make the level design pop even more

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »

that's actually pretty cool

I remember trying that as a kid and only being able to collect the first star of bob-omb battlefield

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2014, 12:18:54 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U1KOiaDxQMQ#t=132

"Fuck walls"

Lucky's Tale yeah maybe. It does look pretty generic and with no design advancements after almost 20 years...like a garbage collecting game. That entire first stage was just tiny little jumps and collecting an annoying amount of junk. And the walking motion looks like it would be kind of slow. I get the feeling it was a "we wanted to make a 3D platformer" game vs. a "we have an idea we want to explore specificially with 3D platforming"...

It does have a gimmick though! ...move your head around to move the camera. Yeah, it's an Occulus Rift game. A third person one. How does that even make sense is beyond me, this really belongs to a different platform.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »

Yeah lucky's is more about finding way to deal with uncharted land of VR representation and will be a great contribution in finding best practice (like finding that 8th the scale is when people get comfortable with 3rd person (go figure) and how to manage such a camera in VR (especially movement), They also find out that the character reacting to your presence (as in making eye contact and gesturing at you) help massively.

All early VR will be less about excellent gameplay but figuring out the idiom (as silly as it how do you deal with wall? does you retarget the VR hand to the wall or do you let it pass through the wall, what happen when the viewer put his head in a wall? etc

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »

Banjo and mario (and even dk64 who isn't bad just overwhelming) where king but all the bad spawned imitator led the blame back to them for the trope.

ok so i got dk64 for christmas and i just played it for 2 hours. i LIKE it but i can understand the common criticisms, the character switching mechanic does get hella annoying sometimes. it also seems like a step down from tooie in terms of polish (especially graphically!). definitely the most complex rare platformer but not the best.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »

Well graphically it does have some stuff on its own too! the first stage aren't impressive, but they pull some shit later!

But yeah it's overkill hardcore for those who want MORE, definitely a progression. I like it for what it is. With tooie, you can have completely explored a level and not have a single idea to what to do, it's not obscure but they stretch thin the puzzle element, mario sunshine is the game that broke it with long backtracking and blue coins DAMN BLUE COINS  Angry

Fuck the hater, the dk rap is the best things (even if out of blue rap with monkey is kinda eye rolling for reason I won't mention)

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »

i've been playing sm64 lately via emulator. my only experience before was with the ds port, and boy howdy the n64 version is leagues better. yeah the ds version looks better and has a better camera, but the addition of yoshi, luigi and wario destroys it. whose fucking idea was it to have you start out as yoshi? the game was perfect as is, they could've just released it with the new graphics and camera but nooooooooo. fuck. it makes me so mad.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »

I feel for you and for all those who only know the ds version

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2014, 02:58:12 AM »

ds version is still decent tho
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2014, 11:39:29 AM »

Well graphically it does have some stuff on its own too! the first stage aren't impressive, but they pull some shit later!

But yeah it's overkill hardcore for those who want MORE, definitely a progression. I like it for what it is. With tooie, you can have completely explored a level and not have a single idea to what to do, it's not obscure but they stretch thin the puzzle element, mario sunshine is the game that broke it with long backtracking and blue coins DAMN BLUE COINS  Angry

idk, there are things about this game that are just fucking dum. example:

make your way to a switch
notice the switch can't be activated by the character you control
backtrack to barrel to switch to correct character
do it all over again

it doesn't happen often, but it pisses me off whenever it does because it's such a pointless waste of time. also why can i only pick up gold bananas with a specific char? and why does every character have a separate stock of coins and bananas? the idea that only certain chars can collect certain items is fine (it's basically the game's main draw, mechanically), but why can't they just contribute to a common pool once u pick them up? sometimes dk64 reminds me of what i dislike about party-based rpgs haha.

also it's not just the environments that look worse, the character models and animations look worse too (have u seen lanky's swimming animation? wat a hell). i can understand why they scaled back graphically considering tooie's massive framerate issues but the art direction is imo worse as well. controls seem worse too and most of cool dynamic music is absent (the music itself sounds like unused banjo music w/ some dk themes thrown in). just lower production values in general.

the actual level designs (so far) don't quite reach the heights of tooie, but they're good. bosses are hella weak tho. there are 2 successive bosses that are literally the exact same thing (armadillo and flying dragon thing). also all the level themes so far are straight from the banjo games and were done better in those and there's nothing as memorable as e.g. witchyworld or jolly roger lagoon. the game also lacks the charm of either the banjo games OR the donkey kong country games imo.

lol i'm making it sound like i hate dk64, but i actually like it a lot. i'm just having a "dark souls 2" experience with it i guess.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »

Hey it's lanky what did you expect XD

yeah it's 4 games superposed I never have a problem with switching though, I generally explore first solve second, so I can plan, especially coming from 3 game on that genre already, although small banana got on my nerve quickly (where the damn 3 last banana are over that instant kill sicking sand area to operate above with diddy Angry )

Well all rare music sound the same Who, Me?

Also I would like to see your opinion on conker bad fur day 64 (not the f*** xbox version)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic