Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:01:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 939155 times)
affine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: March 19, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »

Some improvement :D

kednar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2801 on: March 19, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

@affine

Great job!! It's hard to work on that level of simplification, and you're on a good way! I'd suggest to try out making the hands bigger or giving it a longer wrist. I say so because the character looks cartoonish or childish, due to the head size. What are you looking for?
affine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: March 20, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »

Thank you for the feedback! Smiley

I was actually trying to model Saria from Ocarina of Time, and only after I quit working on the model did I realize that I should have made her head the size of her body. (I know the hair is way off, but I've never even tried modeling hair before this.)

And yes, it's pretty difficult to work on this low level of poly. Silhouettes become top priority when your legs are only 4-5 sides.

I actually attempted to model the thing entirely from a single box, but now I much prefer modeling the arms/legs/head separately and then welding them in.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2803 on: March 20, 2014, 01:38:22 PM »

You might want to like, look at your ref more often; needs breasts at all, longer feet, bigger hands and more calf volume for starters.  Your edge flow seems ok but the poly density in the middle of her body is super questionable, can you explain why you need 4 loops there? Interested to see where you go from here with it.

affine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »

The four loops are supposed to be the belt. I couldn't work the geometry to have boobs, so they didn't get in I guess. I the original Saria model was mainly texture.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2805 on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:51 AM »

Sorry, I was a bit of a dick above; had a long day but shouldn't take it out on the internet etc.

As penance I made myself do the same thing. Kept it under 500 tris.

I actually ended up using the 4 loops around her belly too but tried to ensure that they contributed as much as possible to the silhouette;

Used http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100327013827/zelda/images/b/b5/Saria.png as a ref for the acceptable target spec.

The topo on the arms animates really fucking badly though, haha. I added the extra split under there to allow a bit of leeway with the armpit without it looking too janky, but it's still awful to animate, rigged or not. there's a bunch of places where I could merge some verts without losing much to the silhouette to give more topology in places that need it for animation; rotations are always a bitch with this super low poly kinda stuff though.

Legs are too short as well, hair is kinda janky from the back. Note that the legs are floating geo to save an extra loop going down while giving the shorts a bit more separation - in the n64 game they actually did this quite a lot due to the fairly constant overhead camera - if you manage to get an upskirt of link you notice he doesn't have a body, or tops to his legs :^)

Overall I'm happy with it, and since its 330am I'm certainly going to leave it where it is, haha.

With the breasts here - she's meant to be super young and afaik completely unsexualised, so being subtle is great; issue is that the proportions & some of the structure in yours makes it look more like a young boy than a young girl. It's a hard line to draw, and I'm no expert, but I think you can drop in some more hints to better describe the character.

Again, sorry for being pretty blunt and potentially discouraging above. Keen to see where you go with your low poly stuff - studies of old games is a great idea, and I'd be interested to see them in here if and when you do them.

affine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: March 21, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »

Nope, not discouraging at all Smiley All my stuff is "programmer art" right now, but in a year or two it'll be pretty decent.

I like your model, too. I can't think of anything wrong with it that you didn't mention, and some stuff I didn't even notice till I read it.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: March 21, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »

If you texture that Geti.. I'd be one happy person  Smiley
I really like seeing people go back and study older models, keep it up Affine!
Hawt Koffee
Level 1

That's a wild fire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2808 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »

I got distracted in class and made a quake like zombie

damn
your work is always awesome
you need to make a full game already!
I can't code worth anything
mainly because I have no idea where to start
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2809 on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:53 AM »

First you open anything that takes code as input,
Then your put code in,
Then when the code sucks you make it better.

(Repeat as necessary)

Annoying "lol its easy" aside, TBH Blender has its game engine built in and python is pretty easy, though the way blender interfaces some things with python can be pretty obtuse and the internal code editors suck. Suggestion is driven mainly by the fact that you already have the software.

Game modding is where I started coding, then flash games, then cpp games.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2810 on: March 23, 2014, 06:46:13 AM »

^ If you're trying to just test it out and see how easy or hard it is, you should be able to make a FPS in the BGE pretty easily (assuming you're trying to make an FPS). Python is indeed one of the easier coding languages when compared to others, and you can use external code editors if you need them. You can also use logic bricks (which aren't enough to make an FPS, but they can do some simple things) to "program" logic.

If you end up deciding to try it out:

1) Grab the latest build from the Blender Buildbot or from the homepage.

2) Check out the BlenderArtists forum, as it's (as far as I know) the most active and largest collection of BGE users. There's a lot of resources and help there, which is useful for development.

3) Check out the api. In the game engine, you have access to the bge.* modules and the standalone modules (though generally, you'll probably only use aud and mathutils modules).

jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: March 24, 2014, 02:52:37 AM »

Working on some chair game assets. Did a little test render for one of the chairs.

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2812 on: March 24, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »

Click for x2 res.

Trying to figure out this sculpting thing.

Somewhat high spec, 1k tris per rock (on the dot), 1024 diffuse and normal. Wish I'd baked AO into the scene, but it hit 2am so its bed time.

affine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: March 24, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »

Didn't manage to get the hands - got bored with it. I might revisit later and fix proportions and stuff.

Time: 1 hour.
TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »

Working on a dragon:
http://imageshack.com/a/img46/5720/lg16.png
It's very far from done, but I'm pretty happy with the general shape of it
EDIT:
http://imageshack.com/a/img842/6656/trnu.jpg

Reference
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:55:40 PM by TheSnidr » Logged
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2815 on: March 24, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »

awesomeeeeee, can we see more of your lowpoly models?

i think 3 main colors on him would look better than 4. the green seems out of place to me.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2816 on: March 24, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »

Got a new rock into unity and compatible with my master shader with gradient mapping and vertex blended damage and vegetation, happier with the results of this one than the previous one.

7.6k tris on screen 572 tris per rock.

3 texture lookups plus lightmaps; but normal, diffuse and spec are combined in one texture; diffuse is gradient mapped and specular is multiplied with a single colour (ie done the way you lazily make spec maps most of the time anyway). 1024 + 128 + 64 square textures; the latter two can be shared among many objects. Most of the rocks are passable with a 512 on them but with this much instancing I'd probably err on the side of bigger considering it's just one map.

3 hours, zbrush, blender, uvlayout, photoshop, unity. Kinda exhausting, I have no idea how full time 3d artists keep their mojo flowing, haha.

TheSnidr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: March 25, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »

awesomeeeeee, can we see more of your lowpoly models?

i think 3 main colors on him would look better than 4. the green seems out of place to me.
Thank you! I'm still not done with it, the texture was made in 10 minutes just to test the texture map! I see what you mean though, I may use one of the other colours instead of green.
I'm still rather new to the whole modelling thing (that dragon's the most advanced model I've made), but here are a few of my other models:
Skeleton
Monstertruck
Shark - This one was used in a game called Doomshark

And a bonus:
Henry_Oswald
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2818 on: March 25, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »

Working on a new character. Secretary bird in sailor pants. Needs a face. Also, anybody know how to make only part of a character have fabric physics (in unity). They have ways you can make entire models act as fabric, but I only want this dress I'm adding on top to do that. Thanks.

Also, I have no idea how that took you three hours. That looks pretty sweet!

Got a new rock into unity and compatible with my master shader with gradient mapping and vertex blended damage and vegetation, happier with the results of this one than the previous one.

"Do you think love can bloom even on the battlefield?"
- Otacon
Quill Devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38129.0
Home Website: http://psychospectacle.weebly.com
Watch us on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/quill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PsychoSpecs
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: March 25, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »

separate the mesh and parent the fabric to the main mesh ...

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic