Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 07:36:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeat Line
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Heat Line  (Read 35002 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »

I'm reallyy anticipating this game. Is there enough content for a gameplay trailer? or even an engine test video...I want to see this puppy in action.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »

I'm going to try to post a video of me wandering around the world and zooming in and out soon. Possibly fiddling with the inventory system too, which seems to be working well. Better yet, I might release a small "berry collecting" demo in a week or two. It will just let you wander around the random island and collect and eat berries Smiley Not very exciting, I know, but at least people will be able to check out the engine, and I can get some performance feedback on things.

I already know it doesn't run well at all on my wife's 3 year old laptop with an integrated Intel graphics card. (The frame rate was choppy and the water was glitching out) The game is all hardware accelerated, and I'm pretty sure you'll need at least a pretty good video card to run it well. We'll see I guess. I'll probably include options to turn off effects like the shadows and such.

I just got a global persistent object list working. It basically tracks all the objects that are "asleep" That is- objects that exist far enough away from the player that they are not simulated, but they aren't part of the static world map either. This is for items that you dynamically drop, wandering NPCs, and wandering animals. I'm tracking them with just five numbers:

1- Type
2- X Coor
3- Y Coor
4- Variable 1
5- Variable 2

The variables are there to track changes or states of the different objects. (Say, the hunger level of a bear, or the amount of ammo in a hunting rifle) This is so the game can remember at least a little bit about an item when you walk away from it, so it still seems like the same one when you get back to it. I can't actually keep objects full internal representation around, or things would bog down pretty quick. I only simulate things in a pretty large active region around the player.

Interestingly enough, items are originally stored in the world.stuff[] array, but once you trigger an item to spawn, it is moved over to be tracked in the dynamic object list. (Basically, once an item is made to "exist" for the first time, you can't guarantee it will ever slot nicely back into the object array of the world.)

Of course, I can't very well infinitely grow this item list either, since you could eventually run your computer out of memory by flooding the world with items. I'm curious to see how big the list of objects can get before I need to start tossing some of them out though. Even if I can keep only the most recent 200 objects around, it should probably be enough to hide my cheaty methods Smiley

Open world programming is hard.  Tongue

deathtotheweird
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »

it would probably be decent to release a beta, either publicly or in private. various hardware would help you to understand how it runs on all sorts of different computer configurations.

but i cant wait. i cant recall a MMF game that is in that style and looks so great.  Coffee
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »

it would probably be decent to release a beta, either publicly or in private. various hardware would help you to understand how it runs on all sorts of different computer configurations.

Yup.. that is the plan.

but i cant wait. i cant recall a MMF game that is in that style and looks so great.  Coffee

Thanks. Honestly, I'm a bit nervous about MMF2 holding out through the stress. It isn't really proven if it can stand up to something like this. (Though I started down this path after seeing how far The Underside pushes MMF2 by using LUA - more on that later)

I think the reason that you don't see more MMF2 games like this is that 1) Hardware acceleration is fairly new to MMF2. No one has had time to make a giant project taking full advantage of it yet. 2) In order to handle a project of this size, you really need to be able to program traditionally as well. The bulk of the game (90%) is coded in LUA- MMF2 is only handling the input/output and asset management. I can't imagine recreating something like this in vanilla MMF2. 3) The art assets for something like this are killer. I'm already kind of dreading animating hi-res 8 direction bears.

With so much of the work already done in LUA, it wouldn't be too terrible to move it to C++ or XNA or something, but I wouldn't really want to right now either. Maybe a port when the whole game is done or something...

deathtotheweird
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »

Good to hear, I love me some Lua.  Gentleman
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2009, 09:17:30 AM »

Really loving the art style on this. And that zoom feature is pretty neat.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2009, 10:56:53 AM »

Heat Line
Nice game name...  Wink

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »

12 varieties of edible plants can now be found in the forest areas. Some of them might be poisonous, but they are all indeed edible Grin Just hope you can identify them before you are forced to eat them...

(And argh! first Silver Line, and now Dry Point... both popping up this month. Thinking about changing the name now to avoid confusion....)

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2009, 08:43:26 PM »

12 varieties of edible plants can now be found in the forest areas. Some of them might be poisonous, but they are all indeed edible Grin Just hope you can identify them before you are forced to eat them...

IMAGE AS ABOVE

(And argh! first Silver LineTM, and now DryTM Point... both popping up this month. Thinking about calling my lawyer friends now to avoid confusion....)

Oh man, that looks really cool! Lush. Also poisons and learning! Mmm, but the ideas sound pretty great - surviving against the elements is a nice way to go. Especially when it's all so pretty.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2009, 12:30:27 AM »

I remember when I was about 10 years old I wanted to make a game like this, except my idea was an adaptation of Swiss Family Robinson. Identifying plants is awesome.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2009, 06:16:14 AM »

Ahhhh berries! :drool:

Don't sue me, but I'm slowly heading towards collectible berries and that sort of thing.
Please don't copyright the concept of edible fruit!   Corny Laugh

It looks like our projects will share some elements but I think it's unlikely that they'll overlap too much. And I'm only mildly intimidated by the speed of your development Wink

By the way, have you been watching "Alone In The Wild" on Channel 4? I'm finding it invaluable reference for survival stuff!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »

Ahhhh berries! :drool:

Don't sue me, but I'm slowly heading towards collectible berries and that sort of thing.
Please don't copyright the concept of edible fruit!   Corny Laugh

Too late! Blueberry Garden has already done it. Be prepared to be summoned to the Swedish court by Mr. Erik Svedang and his team of 10+ laywers  :D
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »

Identifying plants is awesome.

"We've got 5 persons surviving. So, who wants to taste this berry?"

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »

"We've got 5 persons surviving. So, who wants to taste this berry?"

haha... EXACTLY Smiley

The old "king's taste tester".

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

I used neither actually.... I'm using pixel shaders to add the perspective and zoom. You can do the same thing with the perspective object, but it will be kind of jagged. I can't take credit for the idea for the effect though. I stole it from Streetwise: http://gamesare.com/developers/dev/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=50.

Angry Angry Angry
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »

Angry Angry Angry

Shrug I'm not sure adding perspective to a 2d scene is super novel, but I can mention Streetwise in the credits if you want...

In update news:

Berries are collectible items now, and even have nice little descriptions. (They are all set to be "identified" by default right now.) I still have to add the "berry properties" but they get added dynamically, because the berries are randomized each game much like the presents in Toejam and Earl. You'll never know what is safe when you start a new game. After the berry description, there will be an additional line like: "BUBBLEBERRIES are best eaten raw. They spoil quickly if not refrigerated."

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2009, 12:38:41 AM »

Those are some tasty looking bubbleberries. How about we make some bubbleberry jam? Mmm... bubbles.Addicted
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2009, 02:23:40 AM »

I was joking Corny Laugh. It wasn't my idea really, the perspective object was made to achieve that effect but so few ever seem to use it.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2009, 03:14:33 AM »

Wow, this is looking so good. It looks really proffesional AND entertaining. I'm looking forward to the first playable build (as in first beta/demo)!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »

Looks very slick! Can't wait to try it out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic