Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:08:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 539268 times)
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: November 20, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »

Okay, tuns of progress on my part, but first....
Hey Dragonmaw, Im downloadin the new build of slashers as we speak, but I was wonderin if you needed more music for it, or just havent implemented the code to play back what I sent you before. If its the former, I could pretty easily cook up some more midi's and throw em your way, just let me know what you are goin for and how much like the original you want it to be.

Now then, this is a direct copy/paste of the message I sent out to my testers, soooo yeah.

---------------------------------------
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1290216162

Ohboy! You can actually make it from level 1 all the way too level 3! Well, at least I can, sometimes.

Lookin for some feedback, but first and foremost....
STUFF I ALREADY KNOW!
1.Birds dont do anything when they die.
2.Sometimes Bubba teleports when he hits a cliff.
3.Some enemys push each other around, or into you.
4.This isnt actually a bug, but sometimes when you jump off a cloud in level 2 you don't go very far. This has to do with the velocity of the cloud being transmitted to the player, and is totally on purpose.
5.All dogs have the same name, as do all birds.
6.Some audio that seems like it should be there isnt.
7.Bubba's status icon is a ninja in a trucker hat, and not bubba.

Okay, now then, any comments, suggestions or other bugs, I would love to hear. I would also be interested to know if there are any places with noticeable slowdown, along with your computers basic specs (Only really worried about processor, ram, OS, and to some extend video card) and what version of flash you are running (It runs worse in 10.1 then any other version, but no worse then everything else runs in 10.1 as far as I can tell.)
After that, the questions are basically 1.Is it fun? 2.How far can you get? 3.Did anything confuse you?
and, lastly, what your average fps is (you can hit ` to see it, Im more interested in times when slowdown is actually noticeable then I am in knowing that it happened however, as Im using the time elapsed between updates for most of the timing in the game, so it takes a fair bit of framerate drop to actually break it.)
----------------------------

On another note, currently the two songs in the game are actually the same song, just with changes made to tempo, instrumentation, effects (Thus the guitar sounds pretty different on both) and rythm. So, basically they are both me doing stylized covers of the original game music. Its kind of fun seeing how many directions I can run with one progression, so Ill probably continue to make more level specific music in slightly different directions (Im thinkin level 5 will be surf-ninja, mostly because then I can turn that song into surf rock and that sounds like tuns of fun.)

Level 4 is basically done, but you cant actually get to it without changing settings in the code, because I havent made the cutscene or figured out how the hell you go from the top of a tower to a lake yet. Im thinkin you will get knocked off somehow, or the thing will blow up, and you will just land in the lake level, but Im totally open to suggestions, if anyone comes up with some rad way to transition levels.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1681 on: November 20, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »

Sure thing. I need some title music and two or three tracks. I actually don't have what you sent before, so if you could re-send it, that'd be pretty great. Also, fairly close to the original (but good, obviously) would be best.

As an aside, I'm unable to play Ninja Assault Sad SWFCabin is refusing to let me.
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: November 20, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »

http://drop.io/action52slashermidi/asset/action52slasher-mid

I coullld re-send it, but it was easier to dig up the old link (strangely enough by searching the forums) then it was too find my old laptop.

Just realized I sent this to cosmic fool and not you, but this version looks like the same game, so Im a little confused... team effort? Anyhow, just credit me somewhere. I can always cook up some other stuff as well.

*EDIT*
Apparently I really like making re-interpretations of this song in midi. Heres another one ->http://www.mediafire.com/?n5u2jbqtja10it0

Anyone know a good free place to dump files?  Drop.io got bought by facebook and now they want to charge moneys for it...
.... unrelated, is anyone else having trouble with swf cabin? I know it goes down from time to time, but its working on my end....
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:42:47 PM by zez » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1683 on: November 21, 2010, 05:07:45 AM »

Dropbox is what I use. Great service and, should you decide to pay the extra, totally worth it. So easy.
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »

Cool, I remember being a little hesitant to install the software, but I could use somewhere to host random stuff. I really dont want to pay for a service tho, teaching doesnt pay nearly enough for extra expenses, and I already have a php host Id just as soon throw more money at for the storage space.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1685 on: December 07, 2010, 06:43:28 PM »

NEW (actually 3 months old) version of Non Human!!
OH OUI!
http://www.frankiesmileshow.leafo.net/Stuff/nonhuman/NonHuman_v0_92.zip

Controls:
Left and Right arrows move
X jumps
C shoots
DOWN arrow crouches (do that a lot)
UP arrow + C uses subweapons
holding UP arrow uses an upgrade terminal

Instructions:
Move right, eventually you win. Shoot what is in the way to prevent death! Shoot the small green egg like things, they drop items like subweapon ammo, subweapons, life, cash.

When you reach certain score milestones you are allowed to get an upgrade on upgrade terminals. Those are sets of 3 computer-like things you can find at regular intervals as you play. The two first give you an upgrade of some sort and the third gives you an extra life and refills your current life as a bonus. To use them, hold the UP key in front of them and let the upgrade download, it takes 2 seconds or so.

Also, there is a combo meter: When you kill baddies, it goes up. If you spend too much time without killing anything it goes down. When you get hit, it halves. When you die it resets to 0. The combo meter is a % added to your score income, so if you got 100 of combo is doubles all of your score so you reach upgrade milestones faster and end up stronger. There is no limit to the combo meter, I got up to 600 combo once!
Also the game keeps track of the highest combo you could get as well as your highest score and the best completion time.

Whats new there:
Its been so long since I put up a new version on tigs (or since I put up anything here really), might as well put up the latest "stable" build I got. This is many months old, but I never showed it here, might as well do that now! Since then I added... . . .. .. things. Things that I cant really put out in their current half-finished state. But this is a huge upgrade from the last one nonetheless!

This version has some awesome music by Chef Boyardee. The HARD MODE is in, and it is much, much better than the easy mode, so try it outttt. Might want to play easy mode first though. Hard mode is a much longer game with more bosses and stuff. Enemies behave differently too...especially the zombies, which become an actual threat now about halfway into Hard mode!

Even the hard difficulty level final boss is in this...I think??? Maybe I had turned him off before making the build to not spoil it. Okay, **I AM NOT SURE HE IS IN**. He might be! In this version he still had huge problems and is mostly made up of placeholder sprites which actually hinders gameplay by giving you very little feedback of whether you are doing the right thing or not when fighting him. Many people might not be able to beat him as a result of just not knowing how to. Dont worry, he is much more obvious to beat now.

I am not specifically looking for feedback on this since it has changed so much since, but I dont mind it, many comments could still apply to the current version.
(Also, I THINK this version had a crash bug when you beat the game at hard. Maybe I had corrected it back then. not sure. Dont flip if it gives you an error message at the end! Call it a congratulatory error or something. Its your computer giving you a pat on the back, a nod of the head, for a job well done!!)

Also yeah I have so little time now because of work and freelance stuff, but I am really pumped to get this done during the holidays. Most of the work on this is done when I'm home from work or during my lunch break, I'm not used to work in short bursts like that!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:35:13 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

BoxedLunch
« Reply #1686 on: December 07, 2010, 09:21:35 PM »

let me be the first to say that, that was fantastic. everything was placed so well, although i feel a more proper tutorial is needed, because i spent the entire game with no idea how to use the sub weapons until i checked the menu. Still it's great, keep up the good work. Hand Thumbs Up Left
Zaphos
« Reply #1687 on: December 08, 2010, 03:04:27 AM »

Wow, that's really awesome Frankie! Smiley  Just played through on normal, will try hard later.  Normal could maybe be tweaked a bit harder for the non-boss segments; it's a little bit mindless, but I didn't really mind 'cause everything looks pretty and feels good.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1688 on: December 08, 2010, 04:55:41 AM »

Thanks guys!
Also I just played through that build to see and yeah, the hard mode final boss is there! But its an even earlier version than I thought. Hes way too hard on this one! Ah well...
Also this is the version before I made it so you don't have to fight a boss twice if you kill him and then die before the next checkpoint... Its not a problem for most bosses except the second-to-final boss which is very hard, and has a very hard level to go through right after it!
(also, it seems like this build doesn't have the hard end game crash after all, it should loop back to the beginning of the game for round 2 as normal)

Also right now im trying to make it so the game is possible to play through entirely without any damage. Right now I can do it myself everywhere except at the final boss, he always hits me a few times. In this build its even worse!
Also in this build the hard version of the easy mode bosses are just the same bosses, but a bit faster and with more life. I gave them new attacks since then.

And id like to have more opinions on how long the game feels!
I think that having the game be a seamless long horizontal level really hurts the feeling of progression, so the game feels like it drags on forever. Adding more bosses, reckognizable "landmarks" to reach, upgrading the robot through terminals placed at regular intervals in the game and adding this otherwise useless map display on the top left corner of the screen were all attempts at compensating for this. What are your thoughts guys? I think it still has the problem, but its hard to judge from my perspective. The map is completely useless (and took a lot of work to make, too... mapping your horizontal progress in the game to a virtual 2d space so that where you are at on screen fits your fictitious map location!) but its meant to kind of give some sort of context and give you an idea of how close you are to the end, without pausing the game to show a map screen.
(Also its meant to be yet another reference to Castlevania III obviously enough)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:57:55 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1689 on: December 28, 2010, 12:09:18 AM »

Ok we are finally done, City of Doom!

Programming by me, HandCraftedRadio
Art and Animation by Nate Kling
Music by pgil

Download

Let us know what you think!

ortoslon
« Reply #1690 on: December 28, 2010, 12:56:31 AM »

Ok we are finally done, City of Doom!

bugs:

switch weapon button doesn't work while i'm moving from one square to another

the game crashed silently while i was simultaneously firing and switching weapons (though i'm not sure if this is the reason)

when after that crash i tried to continue from level 2, the game crashed silently again
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1691 on: December 28, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »

im stuck. i lost all my lives trying to backtrack and see if i missed anything. i have no idea how to progress from here.

pgil
« Reply #1692 on: December 28, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »

You can flip over the sides of the building. just go over the left side in that screenshot.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1693 on: December 28, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »

well that's something that should have been mentioned in the readme.  Lips Sealed
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 26, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »

slight ninja assault related update!
I have levels 1-4 totally finished, with the exception of the transition animation from level 4 too 5,
level 5 has all the graphical assets finished, and all AI and basic code done, so its just a matter of setting up the spawn rates, overall level time, and doing sound (level 5 is a scrolling shooter, whereas most of this is a beatemup, thus having to code a bunch of other stuff,)
Level 6-9 have the tile assets finished but have yet too be actually made. I also made a bit of code that should speed up level design considerably, but seeing as it doesn't actually effect the game (just the rate I work at,) it isnt REALLY a  Ninja update.

Basically, I have 2 more bosses too handle, a bit of sound too add, 2 more level maps too finish, 1 more 'bonus' level too script, and the final boss arena, as far as actual gameplay stuff goes.
I also still need to do 4 more 'cutscenes' (made using in game assets, so not a tun of work,) The game over screen, the menu, possibly a few 2 player options, and any unlockable bonus stuff I feel like adding in.

For the two player stuff, Im thinkin about having a co-op mode where you run through the game together with slightly adjusted enemy spawns/boss health, a vs mode where you just kill eachother, and probably a survival co-op mode. Bonus unlockable stuff would be a survival mode where you fight wave after wave of enemys on one screen, the option to play any of the bonus levels from the menu, and probably a boss rush mode.

Two player and bonus stuff is obviously way lower priority then the single player game, but wouldnt take much time too implement (enemy AI is already set up too be scalable too multiple targets, and players already have a variable being passed to represent who is controlling them, so its really just a matter of tweaking the difficulty for co-op, and all the planned bonus' are pretty much recycling things that already exist.)

Anyhowww.... here is the boss for level 5 ->http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1296077466
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: February 02, 2011, 11:56:01 PM »

Lazer League is Coming.

Are. You. Ready. Cool
Jack Mcslay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »

I've been playing around the programming and concepts and I have a question: do I have to use the music based on the original came on the general gameplay? Because I think it would better set the mood for what I'm going for to keep the game silent and perhaps use a mix of the song for the boss fights

(btw, if anyone is up to make a boss fight-y remix of the Operation Full Moon song, that is highly appreciated. I only ask to make it sound like a retro early to mid-90 PC game. a MIDI file would be perfect)

ACTION-52-3AD62B99
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 03, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »

Here it is.

Arrow keys to move. X to aim left, C to aim right.

Welcome to Lazer League. Shoot good.

Music by C418.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:42:46 PM by Plasticware » Logged
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 03, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »

Hmm... that was pretty fun. I have 3 complaints about it however.
1.The player looks AWFUL. Im pretty sure this happened because you down scaled him and then didnt clean him up afterwords, but I really cant get behind his look. Atleast give him a decent white outline like everything else in the game plz.
2.The funky rainbow guys who give you powerups? I had ZERO clue they where friends for about half the game. I started out trying too shoot them down, then eventually started dodging them (thus missing out on powerups) then realized that I wasnt taking damage from them and was in fact gaining powerups. I may be the only person who doesnt associate rainbow trails with giving me better guns, and its possible this is ONLY my complaint. If it isnt, you may want to make it more obvious they are powerups.
3.The purple scissor looking guys look kinda bad from some angles. This is super minor, but you may want too redraw them instead of using code, or atleast apply some anti aliasing. Interesting the re-scaled sprites looked fine, other then the player.

Otherwise, this = AWESOME!
I really dug the control scheme, and I felt the progress of the difficulty was pretty spot on. I also really liked the atmosphere, despite (or possibly because of) the really weird differences in speed on the parallax layer.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Jack Mcslay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 04, 2011, 04:30:15 AM »

Lazer League's looking good. In addition to what zez said, I'll add:

- The explosion effect that comes when the player is hurt is way over the top and it's easy to get lost since it obscures the player himself
 - The game over sequence (or lack thereof) is really bleh. When I die I'm suddenly bombarded with either the "enter name" to register the high score or straight to the menu screen, which is worse. Make a proper game over screen, please.
 - No pause makes me sad
 - Bug report:
Code:

ERROR in

action number 1

of Alarm Event for alarm 0

for object obj_bigboxmake:

Error in code at line 1:

if(obj_pacface2.hidden=true)

^

at position 17: Unknown variable hidden
this came up right after I defeated boss 2 (and I may not be aware of which language you're using but isn't it supposed to be "if(obj_pacface2.hidden==true)"? )

ps.: I just made another playthough and have a few more points:

- The scoreboard is kinda hard to read when there's enemies behind it. And since the screen is often filled with enemies, it becomes a real problem
- The games gets gradually slow as you play it. Maybe you're not properly removing enemies that escape/get killed or missed shots?
- Make the game end. It really gets old to fight the same wave of enemies over and over again
- Bug report 2: Sometimes the music refuses to load for some reason
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:51:53 AM by Jack Mcslay » Logged

ACTION-52-3AD62B99
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic