Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:12:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Procedural Generation of Textures "PRE Game"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Generation of Textures "PRE Game"  (Read 3229 times)
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »

I am considering writing a procedural texture generator that saves data to textures for later use. If I remove restriktions for Language and API. (Even if i prefer c++)

What would be the easiest way to get access to the following features.

The possibility to ...

easy save a render target to file.
easy way to draw a "brush" texture onto the render target.
easy way to scale, rotate, the brush.
easy way to tint the color of the brush.
easy way to draw pixels on the render target as well as suport for lines circles etc.

Going straight from DirectX/OpenGL scaling and rotating is easy but pixel access is more difficult, going trough SDL getting pixel access is easy but doing rotation and scaling of textures/sprites become harder.

Any suggestions?

A bit tired, wrote post game first, I mean PRE game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:08:28 AM by TheSpaceMan » Logged

Follow The Flying Thing, my current project.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24421.0
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »

Either there is no easy path to this or it's so easy that people find it silly to answer. Wink

increpare
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »

I don't see any reason to not just do it in SDL, though it wouldn't necessarily be fast.  Though, if it's PG, I'm guessing you'll do all the generation before the level starts, so.

Rotating sdl sprites is nastier than getting opengl pixel access, so I'd go for OpenGL, with maybe FBOs (which are pretty much perfect for what you're talking about, so).
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »

The path i will choose is simply a round white texture that i will scale do, not real but pixelish operations. The pixel size is not important per say, it's the size compared to the rest of the image thats important.

increpare
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »

The path i will choose is simply a round white texture that i will scale do, not real but pixelish operations. The pixel size is not important per say, it's the size compared to the rest of the image thats important.
if pixel size isn't important then jeeze go with opengl...
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »

I would go for SFML, i think they have everything you need.

increpare
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »

oh, cairo is worth considering as well.  i've seen it used in PG texture stuff.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »

If you're doing complicated blending stuff, there's no reason not to do it in opengl and render to texture.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

Please, elaborate. I haven't really looked much into SFML because I've prematurely written it off as "SDL with perhaps a few different features".

Based on reading the linked page, cairo looks pretty promising. There are commercial libraries for doing this out there, but being commercial, they are sort of restricted to a very specific workflow in anticipation of some artists cranking out textures in it for a DirectX-based game for 8 hours a day for 1-5 years. I'm sorry a name doesn't come to mind, I saw an article on it in Game Developer Magazine, tried it out, and promptly forgot about it.

I wholeheartedly encourage your effort. PG is P cool. Cool

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 10:39:04 PM »

I'm sure there's a reason not to do this, but...

Why don't you just build your textures as big ol' chunks of memory in software? Why do you need a rendering API for the texture gen stage at all? I'm sure you can find simple and fast algos for basics like lines and polygons, and you'll be left completely free to come up with wacky new drawing functions.
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »

Please, elaborate. I haven't really looked much into SFML because I've prematurely written it off as "SDL with perhaps a few different features".

I have used both SFML and SDL and my opinion of it is that SFML design is much more OO and the source code is much nicer and easy to work with. The overall experiance of SFML is that it's easier to use but still have a lot of depth to it. Also there is features that i dont know if SDL has, like hlsl shader support and ftp/http access through the API. I strongly recommend it!

I have also tested HGE , which is a directx based 2D API, very easy to use with its helper classes but i dont really like the overall design of the API, but very nice for beginners.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:09:48 AM by Flink » Logged

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 02:13:36 AM »

We do this in Dyson by using SDL surfaces. We convert them to OpenGL textures before using them in-game. There's a onresize event in SDL that lets us know when we need to upload the graphics to the card again to refresh the textures.

Generating the graphics themselves is a straightforward matter of getting hold of the surface and plotting the textures out pixel by pixel.

Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 03:24:41 AM »

I am considering writing a procedural texture generator that saves data to textures for later use. If I remove restriktions for Language and API. (Even if i prefer c++)

What would be the easiest way to get access to the following features.

The possibility to ...

easy save a render target to file.
easy way to draw a "brush" texture onto the render target.
easy way to scale, rotate, the brush.
easy way to tint the color of the brush.
easy way to draw pixels on the render target as well as suport for lines circles etc.

I'm using PovRay to generate textures. Povray has a lot of inbuilt procedural texture generators (well, pigment and surface normals) which can be used to create rather fine textures. Also all kinds of geometric primitives. And it's scriptable with a quite powerful scene scripting language.

http://www.povray.org

If "for later use" includes storing the textures in files, this is.

Per aspera ad astra
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »

Sorry for the late reply. I have decided to take flinks advice and i use SFML because it got a combination of the things i need. Right now i just have some basic features, nothing to show, but with some additional work i think i could do something fun with it.

J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »

Watch out, apparently render to texture is not implemented yet!

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »

If i need to render to texture i load the texture needed, draw a new image on top, save a screenshot of the image, to a temp texture. Since this doesn't need to be realtime, i have no problems.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic