Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 11:36:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie Flight Games/Sims
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Indie Flight Games/Sims  (Read 6205 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »

I just bought a new joystick the other day and I've been wondering, What kind of indie flight games are out there aside from YSFlight and X-Plane?

Anything goes, arcade style. 2d, realistic.  Just something where I can fly around and look cool Smiley
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »

i think theres some open source thing? whatever. its for spergelords who want to accurately recreate being a drunk charter pilot who makes short hop flights to deliver mail to cincinnati or whatever.

just play an ace combat game instead.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »

'flight games' is a bit vague -- if you mean any game where you fly something, wouldn't simple 2d shooter games like warning forever and clean asia count? or do you specifically mean games that focus on flight mechanics?

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »

'flight games' is a bit vague -- if you mean any game where you fly something, wouldn't simple 2d shooter games like warning forever and clean asia count? or do you specifically mean games that focus on flight mechanics?

he bought a joystick. like a flying one. guess what kind of games he's looking for.
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:03:44 PM »

*sniffs at air in wolverine costume* Semantics... *pulls down hood, is paul eres*
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »

i've never owned a flight joystick and do not know how they differ from normal joysticks

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »

As far as I know they don't, just that joysticks in general are apparently quite good for flight sims.

I dunno, I find keyboards easier anyways.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »

cloud involves flying -- is this the type of thing you're looking for?

http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/

vid: http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/video.htm

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »

On the topic of Cloud, it was a nice idea and very relaxing, but I found the controls really confusing and hard to use.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »

A new Zero
crypticsea.com
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »

I really really like the controls of Cloud - specifically the 3D flying (with the middle mouse button down). It's a shame that the gameplay doesn't actually require you to fly in that mode at all, because it really gets across the child-fantasy-flying feel.

Also, this is one of my favorite games ever: http://www.fishies.org.uk/apricots.html
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 10:11:42 PM »

Orbiter (one guy)
FlightGear (open source)

I get the impression that people mostly work on mods or tinker with old games rather than write new games from scratch. There's the enormous community of people doing free and paid mods for the MS flight simulator games; recently I've seen people raving about Over Flanders Fields for MS combat flight simulator 3. And there's all the community stuff for Falcon 4.0 and Rowan's Battle of Britain - both of these have been published commercially in some form.

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 03:04:09 AM »

i've never owned a flight joystick and do not know how they differ from normal joysticks

one uis digital one is analogue + has a really big range of motion. now; imagine the possibilities.
Waltorious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:26:21 AM »

Hey guys,

Do flying games set in space count?  Because there are definitely some cool indie ones of those.  I've just started playing Evochron Legends, made by Starwraith, which is a very cool open-universe mercenary sim, but it has a rather steep learning curve (the Starwraith forums help with that).  You can fly around using semi-Newtonian physics (so you can spin around and fly backwards and stuff) and there are lots of pretty planets that you can land on, seamlessly, from space.  You can also fly around in the planets' atmospheres, which feels quite different from space flight.  Being able to drift sideways and backwards in space makes fighting pretty fun too, although it is tough.  Also there is multiplayer, which I haven't used much yet but seems to be very popular amongst the current players.  More info on that and the other Starwraith games here:

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/go.htm

There is also a fairly active community working with the Freespace 2 Open Source engine... they are more like large mods but are usually free and since Freespace 2 was an awesome game, it's hard to go wrong there.  Historically, installing the open source version of the engine was a pain, but I've heard that it's become easier as people have made better installers.  I think I tried one of the bigger mods a while back but I can't remember how I went about installing it.  Info here:

http://scp.indiegames.us/

Anyone else know of games I'm missing?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »

There's Vega Strike, too.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:08 AM »

Good lord, some of you people apparently never played your share of flight / space sims. I thought it was pretty obvious what a "flight sim" is. I was making one but it got postponed as I joined some group projects. It's nowhere near complete but I can pm/email you a copy and desperately hope it works on your system.

Also, Venus Patrol was a pretty cool 'light' flight sim from the cockpit compo, definitely worth playing. I second the various spaceflight games mentioned, and A New Zero is pretty cool as well.

Honestly, at least in the indie sphere, it seems like a pretty limited genre.

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

somebody rip off ace combat already
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 02:42:12 PM »

Good lord, some of you people apparently never played your share of flight / space sims. I thought it was pretty obvious what a "flight sim" is. I was making one but it got postponed as I joined some group projects. It's nowhere near complete but I can pm/email you a copy and desperately hope it works on your system.

what are their characteristics? does cloud count? how about wing commander?

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »

what are their characteristics? does cloud count? how about wing commander?

Probably more Wing Commander and even moreso F-15 Strike Eagle and their ilk.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 05:36:23 PM »

Bascially.

It's really got to involve airborne / spaceborne vehicles of some sort, Cloud wouldn't count.

Also, for the most part, they are awkward to play without the assistance of a flight stick.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic