Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 07:03:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLooking for something specific
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for something specific  (Read 2781 times)
J
Level 0

'Gotta roll with it...

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:40:40 AM »

Anyone know of any indie tactic games?
Something along the lines of series such as; Final Fantasy: Tactics, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and Tactics Ogre?

ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:46:33 AM »

The Battle for Wesnoth. You may also like party-oriented roguelikes such as Sewerjacks.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:51:19 AM »

There might be some useful things here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5921.0

J
Level 0

'Gotta roll with it...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:58:42 AM »

Thanks for the help Beer!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:42:10 PM »

Brass Hats

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:36 PM »

you could check out Zeing for MP

http://www.kongregate.com/zening

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »

I make games like that! Smiley

Telepath Psy Arena 2
Telepath RPG Chapter 2
Telepath RPG Chapter 3

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »

dofus, dofus arena

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:10:24 PM »

Can't really recommend Wesnoth. It's so ridiculously random, that even with a good strategy you can be screwed by the dice.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »

Can't really recommend Wesnoth. It's so ridiculously random, that even with a good strategy you can be screwed by the dice.
Yes, but the amount of content and polish makes up for it in my opinion.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 06:03:08 AM »

That's no substitute for good gameplay. Crummy gameplay plus lots of content just equals an even longer unenjoyable experience.

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 06:46:54 AM »

That's no substitute for good gameplay. Crummy gameplay plus lots of content just equals an even longer unenjoyable experience.
It is. An unpolished game can be unenjoyable. A game with bad gameplay can be unenjoyable.

In the end I don't think that the random factor in Wesnoth make the gameplay crummy. The gameplay concept itself is very elegant. A minus because of that can be made up by good presentation and lots of replay value.

An example: Dwarf Fortress has ridiculously good gameplay so it doesn't need polished graphics or interface. If the gameplay wasn't so good much fewer people would play it. If the gameplay wasn't so good but it had at least better graphics and a better interface just as many if not more people would play it.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »

Ugh, don't remind me of Wesnoth. That game annoys me greatly. They focus so much on graphics and stuff, while they leave AI routines and stuff terribly inefficient. Minutes spent waiting for AI moves, whee. I have played many a turn based strategy/rpg game and none has annoyed me more than Wesnoth (long turn delays and stupidly wide randomness do that to you).

It is like Civilization, where your modern tank fails to harm an unit of spearmen, who then proceed to wtfpwn your brand new tank. Only worse.
suiraclaw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 12:21:28 AM »

Meh, wesnoth isn't that bad in singleplayer.

But yeah, Dofus Arena if you want to try multiplayer (although the tutorial is still not translated), it's really like the games you mentioned. I don't know much about singleplayer tactic games, but I kinda liked fantasy wars (except the title).

Heh, I wish I had those comments in my thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5921.0

(maybe this is proof of the claim that you should always avoid a too long opening post)

You can never get enough of something you don't really want.
Corpus
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »

words

What purpose can quoting the entirety of the post directly preceding your own possibly serve?
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

words

What purpose can quoting the entirety of the post directly preceding your own possibly serve?

Tim James
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 07:06:16 AM »

Hovendall Tactics (Game Maker)
SpiritsRL (2009 7DRL)
Band of Bugs (an old XBLA game I think that's on PC now)

It surprises me how few indie single player SRPGs there are.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic