Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 12:01:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRichard Garriott (Ultima) talking about the indie games movement
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Richard Garriott (Ultima) talking about the indie games movement  (Read 6241 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697376/Richard-Lord-British-Garriott-Speaks-On-Indie-Games.html

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:50:49 AM »

Is this guy as nutty as I heard he was?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:54:22 AM »

He's got nutsacks, at least. But at least he's a real gaming guru unlike certain Timothy.
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:09:54 AM »

Timothy?
But yeh, Garriott basicly says nothing new. You need to be creative to compete, but you can do it on the cheap(er), cause the tools have improved a lot as well.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:13:52 AM »

i haven't heard much about that -- i've heard that will wright is a bit eccentric though (for instance, he has a robot workshop)

and yeah, he doesn't say much that is new, but that isn't the point: it's great that a legendary game designer at least knows that there is such a thing as indie games and what makes them great

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:23:28 AM »

i haven't heard much about that -- i've heard that will wright is a bit eccentric though (for instance, he has a robot workshop)

and yeah, he doesn't say much that is new, but that isn't the point: it's great that a legendary game designer at least knows that there is such a thing as indie games and what makes them great

I'm with Paul here.  He isn't nutty at all.  He's a little too far along the geek spectrum for his tastes to match up with mine, but he's a perfectly reasonable geek guy.    Are people here saying if they had the time they wouldn't build a castle with secret passages (or something similar) and get involved in making robots?
undertech
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »

Garriott is the best.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:22:07 AM »

I for sure wouldn't mind getting orbital. Hand Thumbs Up Left  WTF Hand Thumbs Up Right
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »

Mr. Nose you rule! =) XOXOXOXOX hugs and kisses, Calv.
Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »

Yeah, this is a very cool statement from someone who has enough money to launch himself into space.

Though, when you think about it, computer gaming when Ultima 1 was released (1987) was probably kinda like indie gaming is now, except even harder to promote because there was no internet. I guess it's not that far-fetched of a statement to make.
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »

Yeah, this is a very cool statement from someone who has enough money to launch himself into space.

Though, when you think about it, computer gaming when Ultima 1 was released (1987) was probably kinda like indie gaming is now, except even harder to promote because there was no internet. I guess it's not that far-fetched of a statement to make.

I'm currently reading "Dungeons and Dreamers," which is primarily a Garriott worship piece, but it's apparently pretty much like that.  People coded stuff up in their homes, and either copied and stuffed the floppies into boxes themselves, or found publishers who were also people copying floppies and stuffing them into boxes themselves.  I don't really recall when the transition was made to real publishing companies (I was pretty young and unfortunately our huge game library at home for PC was all Saudi pirated copies my dad had bought there), but for the early years of the 80s there was apparently a lot of that, and people bought things through crappy local computer mags.

Truly the glory days.
undertech
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »

Garriott's first game was distributed in ziploc bags.

Suck on that.
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »

Garriott's first game was distributed in ziploc bags.

Suck on that.
No.  My mom told me not to put my head in plastic bags.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:50:46 AM »

All the cool kids do it.

Also, yeah, having a robot workshop isn't really eccentric as it is massively geeky. But most of us are somewhere in that spectrum too.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »

he started making games alone, possibily in his bedroom, coding on the Apple II.
So it's not like he was always "Lord British" or "the guy that got so rich from videogames to launch himself to space".

At the times of the first four Ultima games i think he was selling the games by his hand.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:59 PM »

he started making games alone, possibily in his bedroom, coding on the Apple II.
So it's not like he was always "Lord British" or "the guy that got so rich from videogames to launch himself to space".

At the times of the first four Ultima games i think he was selling the games by his hand.

He was Lord British.  It was his D&D name.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 02:08:35 PM »

yup but not for the fans, that Lord British thing became way bigger with Ultima Online

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »

yup but not for the fans, that Lord British thing became way bigger with Ultima Online
Except from the whole "being the king character" thing in all the prior ultima games.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 02:27:30 PM »

Except from the whole "being the king character" thing in all the prior ultima games.

sure but in UO he was actually the character himself.
Everybody knew that Lord British was his nickname even prior UO, but it was a totally different thing after that.

It's a bit like when Molyneaux was "the Populous creator", today he's still Populous creator, but everyone calls him Peter "OMG Fable 2 has a dog that it's almost alive" Molyneaux.

Also before Ultima VI and VII Garriott was Lord British only for the hardcore fans. Ultima IIV was the first Ultima to be a real hit, and still not an "i got rich & famous" hit.

Basically he was an indie developer ante litteram. Even romero and carmack where what we call indie during all the Apogee period

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 04:09:46 PM »

I'm completely unsurprised that someone like Garriott has high regard for indie games, like you say, many of the founders of the gaming industry wrote their first games in their bedroom/basement. Modern indie games are just kind of the next generation of the same kind of thing, so of course Garriott and other identify with us and understand the power indies have.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic