Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 04:20:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCommunity Investment in Game Development
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Community Investment in Game Development  (Read 1761 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »

Saw this on RPS, and I thought it was interesting:

Quote from: Gabe Newell
“What I think would be much better would be if the community could finance the games. In other words, ‘Hey, I really like this idea you have. I’ll be an early investor in that and, as a result, at a later point I may make a return on that product, but I’ll also get a copy of that game.’ So move financing from something that occurs between a publisher and a developer… Instead have it be something where funding is coming out of community for games and game concepts they really like.”

It makes me think of what TaleWorlds did with Mount & Blade, releasing an alpha of the game for miniscule price, then gradually charging more and more as development continued so early adopters could fund the development and get on board for cheap in return.

Here's what Kotaku has to say about it:

Crowd-sourcing isn’t new to game development. But typically it’s been confined to input at the design stage.

Newell’s proposal to have fans pay an amount up-front for a game’s development, while also having a say in that development, is something else entirely. Yet it remains very much in line with their policy of dealing directly with the consumer.

Sounds interesting. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:55:22 PM by Craig Stern » Logged

Soulshift
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »

I think the concept that Gabe puts forth is something that would be worth trying, if not exactly novel. I believe he's suggesting a variation on the idea of neo-patronage, which has been at least partly adopted by a few indie devs already, particularly those who are working on free-to-play Flash games.

The thing about neo-patronage or similar schemes is that they don't work well with AAA titles - fans (probably?) won't want to pay up front and then wait a year or two for something playable. However, I think they do work and are already demonstrably working for people like Daniel Benmergui with Today I Die.

node-def: tactical hacking sim. Now in open beta.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »

Are you referring to "This game is ad-free thanks to an unusual individual"? That's an interesting twist--I always imagined this sort of thing happening with lots of people contributing a little bit. I never thought of just courting one really wealthy player. That really is like patronage! Smiley

Zaphos
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »

See also the "click here after playing" link on that page, which goes here: http://www.ludomancy.com/blog/downloads/ -- he did get some smaller donations as well.

Jason Rohrer also had a patron (Jeff Roberts, guy who runs a game dev middleware company) who supported him partially for some time -- two years, I think?

Of course, that's not really something you could plan to have happen, though!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »

This is a pretty neat idea.

I've been considering something like this... like buy an early alpha/beta copy of the game to get updates and also hidden blog posts and development videos.

I'm curious if it would be more effective to start with higher pricing so only the really interested get the behind the scenes info, and then scale lower as enough sales are made.

Hmm...

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:56:31 AM »

it won't really work for the majority of indies i think. it'll work for a few celebrity games just because they've a lot of fans (fez, cactus's unreleased games, etc.) but wouldn't work for 99% of indie developers who are lesser known or more on the margins. and those who are already well-known would often be in the least need of this

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »

and those who are already well-known would often be in the least need of this

I see where this is true but also many places where it's not so true. Cactus, Eskil Steenberg, and Jason Rohrer, for example, have posted/talked about about how they have had financial issues even though they're all pretty popular. It seems that fame does not always translate into fortune, at least at this level.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 07:12:06 AM »

cortex command and mount & blade do this already right?

cup full of magic charisma
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 07:13:21 AM »

It makes me think of what TaleWorlds did with Mount & Blade, releasing an alpha of the game for miniscule price, then gradually charging more and more as development continued so early adopters could fund the development and get on board for cheap in return.

Smiley

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »

haha woops :D  50% of my addition still stands I guess  Grin

cup full of magic charisma
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 07:46:56 AM »

Wolfire is doing it with Overgrowth, and Natural Selection 2 is doing something similar.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 09:18:24 AM »

With Wolfire, I assume you are talking about the "Pre-Order Now" button? Seems like a pretty straightforward way to do it. Smiley

It looks like the Natural Selection guys are offering a two-tiered pre-order. I like how one of the selling points for the more expensive pre-order is "our eternal gratitude." :D

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »

Well, with Wolfire, you can get access to Overgrowth in its current state right now and get new builds every week (i think) up until its release.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic