Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 02:39:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Liero [DONE]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Liero [DONE]  (Read 65903 times)
godsavant
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »

I don't think Jim's was done, and in truth, it was pretty faithful to Oracle's intent.

But yeah, new sprite looks alright in person. Should the eyes be the squiggles they are now, though, or the customary block-pupils of the other characters?
Fuzz
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »

But yeah, new sprite looks alright in person. Should the eyes be the squiggles they are now, though, or the customary block-pupils of the other characters?

I think that the squiggle eyes work for this character, because he's so small and the source material doesn't even have eyes, but I think that the eyes might look better if they were more rounded and less elongated.
Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »

Hey thanks Feliz, great to get some input from the Liero/Worms experts!  Beer!

Alright, to get some actual movement into this, I gave the first sprite a shot:

Glad I could help. Coffee

Awesome! Your sprite looks really great! I do have a few suggestions/brainstorms though. My only real complaint is that his eyes look a bit too evil/angry the way they are now. Since he's such a tiny, "harmless" character and he's at such an ironic contrast with his big gun and powerful moves, I think it would be more effective and ironic if Liero (I suppose that's his name?) were a more innocent and oblivious character, one who is perpetually surprised/unaware that big flashy things keep coming out of the end of his gun. Liero also seems just a few pixels too chubby to me, but I'm being picky. Wink Anyways, I'm no pixel artist, but I thought I'd try a few things and illustrate a few of my ideas.

Tiny tweak. I just experimented with a less angry eye shape. Sort of worked. (He's also a pixel skinnier in all of these.)

I like the bandanna, but I thought I'd remove it as an experiment. It's alright but he looks kind of... bald. The eyes are a little closer together for this one. I also tried to add some eyebrows just to see how they'd look, but they're pretty hard to see.

Eh? I kind of like this one. Just a brainstorm.

Uhh... this one wasn't quite what I had in mind. I was experimenting with the Kingdom Hearts-style I'm-so-awesome-I-even-look-good-in-a-blindfold look, but I ended up with the my-arms-are-so-short-I-can't-get-this-dumb-thing-off-of-my-eyes look.

The Rayman concept pushed to the extreme. I vote we go with this one. Durr...?

[EDIT: Heh. Didn't see Fuzz's post. I'm starting a nice trend of blatantly contradicting the opinions of the guy right above me. Tongue]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:37:42 PM by Feliz Lombriz » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »

Haha, those are nice! Good idea, he definitely looks better one pixel skinnier. Grin
Fuzz
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »

[EDIT: Heh. Didn't see Fuzz's post. I'm starting a nice trend of blatantly contradicting the opinions of the guy right above me. Tongue]

Not at all. What you just said was exactly what I meant. I like your more roundish eyes, and I was just saying that I don't think eyes like the ones for the Naija sprite would work well for Liero.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2009, 02:27:30 AM »

Yes! Great Feliz! I wasn't quite happy with the eyes either and even did a small secret edit on them, but they still weren't right.

I actually like your first edit best - it really fits to the look of the other sprites that way, so I'd say lets got for that one.
The one with the eyes over the bandana looks quite funky too, but he kind of gets that Ninja Turtles look. Smiley

Also shape and size is better now, so good job! I think we could start with an idle animation or a walk cycle. I think many of his animations shouldn't be too hard to do, so please feel free to give it a shot!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2009, 06:57:47 AM »

I jut tried to verify that Liero was easy to animate and I think it's quite true. Whipped this up in a couple of minutes:

Clemens Scott
Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »

Not at all. What you just said was exactly what I meant. I like your more roundish eyes, and I was just saying that I don't think eyes like the ones for the Naija sprite would work well for Liero.
Uhh... I blatantly contradict that opinion!
*Reads post*
Oh, wait, you're agreeing with me again. Quit doing that. Grin

I actually like your first edit best - it really fits to the look of the other sprites that way, so I'd say lets got for that one.
And I was hoping you'd go with the last one. Tongue

The one with the eyes over the bandana looks quite funky too, but he kind of gets that Ninja Turtles look. Smiley
Teenage Mutant Ninja Bank Robber, perhaps.

I jut tried to verify that Liero was easy to animate and I think it's quite true. Whipped this up in a couple of minutes:

It moves! Grin Cue flood of community-generated animations?
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »

I much prefer Kovski's sprite to Jim's. Jim's sprite just seems to be too cluttered, and the details aren't very easy to make out.

? Thats harsh..you read much?
I get that your "fan" or something, but I was going for more concept choice, being that I don't know much of the game. Also choosing not to post future developments of the character, a choice I made due to the disagreements of how the character should look. I ultimatly did go for a tale rather than feet, but I guess you guys wanted to stay true to the long tail, which I don't like(No offence). Anyway, I chose not to continue, and so I feel I shouldn't need to explain why my sketch looked so shitty.

Kovski,  that is truly great!  Wink

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2009, 03:17:12 AM »

I much prefer Kovski's sprite to Jim's. Jim's sprite just seems to be too cluttered, and the details aren't very easy to make out.

How is it harsh? He's stating his honest opinion.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2009, 03:23:57 AM »

Well, but Jim's sprite was also wasn't even rudimentary finished, so the comment maybe was a little overhasty. But I think there's no need to feel offended, Jim.
But hey, thanks for the compliment! Smiley
If you have time, you're still welcomed to do some animations also!  Well, hello there!

Clemens Scott
Fuzz
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »

I get that your "fan" or something, but I was going for more concept choice, being that I don't know much of the game. Also choosing not to post future developments of the character, a choice I made due to the disagreements of how the character should look. I ultimatly did go for a tale rather than feet, but I guess you guys wanted to stay true to the long tail, which I don't like(No offence). Anyway, I chose not to continue, and so I feel I shouldn't need to explain why my sketch looked so shitty.
Sorry if I offended you. I just didn't really think that your sprite was in keeping with the general art style.
godsavant
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »

I wanted to make shooting cycle, but I ended up just having an animation where he kind of idly tosses his gun up and down for kicks. I think he needs more light reflected off the gunshot.

EDIT: Okay, there we go. Added a bit of recoil and bandanna action, now it looks like he's actually firing the shotgun.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:58:08 PM by godsavant » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »

I think the recoil needs a bit more kick to it. Right now, it looks kind of like he's just lifting his gun up for some reason. Muzzle flash would also help with that effect.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »

Recoil should push the gun backwards in addition to rotating it. Great start, though.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2009, 02:30:06 AM »

Eh... guys... about that bandana...

Well I'll just shut up Roll Eyes
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2009, 04:57:17 AM »

Eh... guys... about that bandana...

Well I'll just shut up Roll Eyes
No, please do tell  Corny Laugh
shig
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2009, 07:03:46 AM »

I'd love it if it looked like Liero had a hard time with the recoil. Like he almost falls over when he shoots or something.
godsavant
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »

Added some muzzle flash, plus some additional recoil.

I'd love it if it looked like Liero had a hard time with the recoil. Like he almost falls over when he shoots or something.

This would only be true with bigger weapons. Also, way too complicated to animate, considering that his rockets, shotgun, and flamethrower will need separate animations.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 05:37:28 AM »

Nice work godsavant! I think the movement is done quite well, but it kind of bothered me that he lets go of the shotgun with the back hand. Also the muzzle effect is nice, but I when adding such effects, it always pays off to be consequent:

As you can see, I added the lightning to the whole body and also added an actual muzzle flash. Often in such cases it's better to add the effect to the sprite itself, instead of doing it with a particle system, because it gives you more control on how it will look.

Also for the upwards motion of the recoil, I took out a frame and added a speed swoosh effect, which makes it look faster without loosing the sense of the motion.

I took out the last two frames too, because they didn't really add to the overall motion and only made it longer. I was thinking of changing it a little, to add a reload animation, but then I decided otherwise, because it's just such a tiny detail that might be dropped in the end, because the overall animation is too long.

Keep them coming though, I always love to see progress on the sprites. I'll try to do another Nikujin animation today, let's see how far I'll get...

Clemens Scott
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic