Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 08:00:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.  (Read 139988 times)
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »

oooo more ship stuff, how suiting :D ...might have a wee tune for that Grin

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 20, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »

I love interior areas that are actually as big on the inside as the exterior would suggest.  Looking forward to seeing more of this cabin area.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/salvage-screen-vignette-001.jpg

I’ve been toying with the idea of drawing an ornate screen GUI for The Salvage.  It would be going starkly against the current trend for minimizing GUIs, but I think if done right it could help to further plant the setting into the player’s mind.

Regardless of what I design as a default, I’ll definitely have a minimal alternative for players who wish to maximize their screen space.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2011, 03:41:58 AM »

It feels claustrophobic. But that's not necessarily a bad thing; It really feels like you're in a suit like you are.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »

Agreed. That's a wonderful GUI, and has lots of perspective and... well, reality, to it.
Adam F.
Level 1

hold your head up high

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »

Agreed, I like the crowded feel of it, gives the whole thing a neat otherworldly feel. Looking great!

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2011, 12:34:43 PM »

Thanks for the positive words.  Just to clarify this a touch more, if I make a vignette-style display, it will likely be designed differently from this sketch, which was just to get the base idea down.

I should also try a more organic display, something that would just pop up around your character or the mouse cursor when needed.  I could design it to look like it's made from the glowy holographic elements that you've seen associated with various tools.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »

Ugh, I need to start using Graphics Gale or something that lets me draw pixel-perfect linework faster.

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »

Yeah I can really reccomend GG, it's a pretty awesome tool for just that.
I really like where this is progressing, keep it up Smiley
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »

This looks awesome  Grin And I for one love the suit design (rather like Sunshine). Might I ask if they'll be a Linux version. Do it for the panda ---> Panda

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: March 03, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »

This looks awesome  Grin And I for one love the suit design (rather like Sunshine). Might I ask if they'll be a Linux version. Do it for the panda ---> Panda

These days I don't see much reason why the majority of games can't be cross-platform.  I'd really like to see PC, Mac, and Linux releases of The Salvage.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: March 03, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »

Download the last engine build.  Oct 2010
https://sites.google.com/site/testportfolionow/home/video-games/SalvagebuildOct11.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Extract and run salvage.exe.  WASD keys move the player, click with the mouse to dig away ground.

Please note that this build is old, and far from a game.  Not even talking alpha here, but it shows a functioning engine with working animation and terrain lighting implemented.

Okay folks, I kept pretty quiet about coding progress for a long time, mostly because I wanted to wait until there was more progress before releasing rough builds.  Download the zip above to take the last build of the game engine for a spin.

The situation has changed, and my friend jkd will be unable to complete the programming.  Please don't read any drama or fallout into this, he's just too busy with other matters and has graciously stepped aside from this project.  

This means I'm now seeking a new coder for The Salvage.  The current source code is written in C++, so if that's your forte you'd be able to dive right in.  If you are skilled with a different language and believe this is a project for you, I'd still like to hear from you.
The Salvage is to be a commercially released game.

Feel free to PM me, or email me direct at:

If you prefer Twitter, you can reach me at http://twitter.com/#!/scutanddestroy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:51:08 PM by Scut Fabulous » Logged

wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: March 03, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »

This looks awesome  Grin And I for one love the suit design (rather like Sunshine). Might I ask if they'll be a Linux version. Do it for the panda ---> Panda

These days I don't see much reason why the majority of games can't be cross-platform.  I'd really like to see PC, Mac, and Linux releases of The Salvage.
Huzza! Panda = Grin

edit: good luck finding someone - I'm a little "over-burdened" right now but if you need a backup programmer I'd be happy to chip in. C++ is, after all, my language of choice these days  Wink

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 03, 2011, 11:43:59 AM »

Ditto, I've got quite a lot of coursework to work on, but I'd still be happy to help out with some coding if people wanted it, or even port it to linux (if needed)
wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: March 03, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »

What library are you guys using? I've used SDL and SFML and much prefer the later: it's OpenGL based and object-oriented. Also cross-platform  Wink

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 03, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »

It appears to be SDL, which I dont think is such a bad thing, given that I assume its using OpenGL
wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2011, 12:32:53 PM »

I think there was time when SDL didn't support hardware acceleration, which made it a lot slower than OpenGL. Nowadays it seems to have that option so there's less of an issue. I still prefer SFML though  Wink

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »

Y, SFML is much better than SDL to code for me too.

FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2011, 02:37:58 AM »

Nice, right! lets get coder on the go and get things moving :D

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: March 04, 2011, 04:57:13 AM »

Speaking as a panda, could you confirm that you are indeed franctically happy about the prospect of a Linux version?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic