Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:52:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignFeedback for "Accessible Fighting game" blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback for "Accessible Fighting game" blog  (Read 5484 times)
shig
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »

I hope you meant Ultras, not Supers.

also lol at saying the knockback increase in ssb is a comeback mechanic
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »

Super was originally like that, they tweak by giving you small amount over time and action.

On smash, I always forgot that knockback is not that important unless you played in our bullet hell mode (the part you didn't read).

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »

supers and meter are a reward for taking offensive initiative foo

anyway, definitely check this out: http://skullgirls.com/2011/10/tutorials-teaching-the-untechable/

yeah, people are clumsy on the joystick when they first start, but that's not that big of a barrier at all. also, your potential solution of widening the input window: consider the distinction between walk forward qcf vs. dp. it's tough to just widen the input window.

but yeah, the big issue i think is your third point. you shouldn't focus on even mechanics specific to your game. emphasize core fighting game concepts.

maybe create a tutorial where the player has to figure out what normals aren't punishable on block, for example. a lot of players when they start out hit sweep all the time. they understand that it does more damage and has a long range, but it doesn't occur to them, at least initially, that it leaves them at negative frames. teach them level 1 stuff-- stuff that they can control. eventually move on to strategies and counter-strategies that focus on situations that a given character wants to get into or avoid.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic