Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:12:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignany tactics games that don't center around combat?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: any tactics games that don't center around combat?  (Read 1669 times)
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »

I'm trying to think of games that focused on tactics but didn't involve combat and I'm drawing a blank. All I can think of are games like Myth 2, XCOM, Alien Swarm, League of Legends, etc. Most of these feature squad-level infantry tactics.

Can anyone else think of any games that center around tactics but don't involve combat? Or do non-military tactics simply not exist?

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:52:17 AM »

Well tactics IS a military term.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »

What would happen in such a game?

What would you be doing?

Are you simply looking for a turn-based isometric game that doesn't center around combat?
I don't think one exists.

Some isometric non-combat games exist, building games and such iirc. But I'm not sure about that. And they may not be turn-based.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »

League of Legends is a tactics game? Shocked

Anyways, there is Winter Voices... it's definitely a tactical game, and the combat is more... evasive or tackling than in any other game.

Liosan

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »

I suppose tactical gameplay, rather than using it purely for combat, could also apply to finance or politics. In that case, SimCity and The Political Machine would be examples, although they're more on the 'sim' end.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »

There must be some sport games like this. But I don't know what they are.

I would say Blood Bowl, but I think that tends to have fighting.

mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »

All the sports management simulations. For example, Football Manager.
King Hadas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »

Maybe Pikmin? Although there is combat the main focus of the game is getting objects back to your ship.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »

Quote from: wikipedia
Military tactics, the art of organizing an army, are the techniques for using weapons or military units in combination for engaging and defeating an enemy in battle.
Maybe games like Harvest Moon make the player think about techniques for using weapons or military units tools, land and animals in combination for engaging and defeating an enemy in battle releasing a Harvest Goddess and getting married.

Also chess and other board/card games...

Since tactics comes from old greek and means "the art of disposing armed forces in order of battle" a non-military context is a bit off. I think at least an enemy should be present when using the word.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:06:25 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »

stealth?
Go? (taking territory, preventing opponent move)

I think you mean micro management to deal with a situation. Almost all game that is not base on destroying enemy but still winning would qualify.

zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:20:35 PM »

Wow that's a lot of replies. Thanks! Smiley

I should probably have been more specific about what I meant by "games with tactics." I'm not thinking so much about micro, but rather a game where you have to think carefully about where you move, where you stop, etc. Examples:
  • In Operation Flashpoint you move slowly so you have to be careful about crossing open ground. It is safer to stay near cover (trees, houses, etc.) if possible
  • In Myth 2, holding the top of the hill is advantageous because archers can shoot farther downhill than uphill.
  • In Rainbow 6, lines of fire are important. A position at the end of a hallway is good, for example, because you can control the entire hallway
  • Flanking can be very effective in Myth 2 because the archers are usually at the back and relatively defenseless

So I was wondering if there were any non-combat activities where movement, use of cover, etc. was similarly important. Maybe the answer is no?

Sure. You have to know when to advance, when to retreat. Zones of control are super important. Taking cover (usually behind your minions) is important. Reconnaissance and situational awareness are important.

There must be some sport games like this. But I don't know what they are.
Oh that's a really good point, I had forgotten about sports. Certainly games like rugby and american football have things like blocking, defending, flanking, etc. Games like paintball and capture the flag even more so.

Since tactics comes from old greek and means "the art of disposing armed forces in order of battle" a non-military context is a bit off. I think at least an enemy should be present when using the word.
Yeah, I guess there must not be many other uses for tactics other than combat (and sports, which is sort of like a heavily controlled/restricted combat)

www.zovirl.com
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »

Anyways, there is Winter Voices... it's definitely a tactical game, and the combat is more... evasive or tackling than in any other game.
Nice! I hadn't heard of Winter Voices before. It sounds fascinating...you fight bad memories, depression, etc? I can't think of any other game that takes this approach. I should probably play a couple of the episodes.

stealth?
Oh, good one! Most stealth games have combat but it is sort of side-lined to make room for the interesting sneaking/evasion/distraction mechanics.

www.zovirl.com
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »

Sure. You have to know when to advance, when to retreat. Zones of control are super important. Taking cover (usually behind your minions) is important. Reconnaissance and situational awareness are important.
Well, ok, but that doesn't make it a 'tactics game' for me. Just a strategical game, maybe more so than Counter Strike but in the same sense lacking - you cannot control more than one character, you don't have time to consider decisions, and reflexes are very important, just as long term character development (neither of which I consider very tactical). For me, for a game to be tactical, it either has to be turn-based or have active pause. I might be alone in this opinion, though Smiley

Liosan

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »

Lots of board games would fit this category. Carcassonne and Blokus, for example.

Also, tactical games don't necessarily have to be turn-based (otherwise, Turn-based Tactics would be a redundant term). The way I understand it, a tactical game just needs to emphasize short-term decision-making, instead of long-term strategy or automatic reflex responses.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic