Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 11:30:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 377472 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »

I think it might be interesting to combine this idea with some of the gameplay concepts discussed in the Conversational game thread.

It could be a sort of multiplayer conversational game where each player has a set of objectives to complete through conversing with the other characters based on their character and the scenario.

If you're interested, I'd be up for a collaboration to try to make this game.

One problem: Commedia d'ell arte is performed entirely in pantomime. That being said, replace speech with gestures and we might have something there. It'd certainly be an interesting experiment. I'd be happy to supply any art necessary, if you'd like to collab on it.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »

I think it might be interesting to combine this idea with some of the gameplay concepts discussed in the Conversational game thread.

It could be a sort of multiplayer conversational game where each player has a set of objectives to complete through conversing with the other characters based on their character and the scenario.

If you're interested, I'd be up for a collaboration to try to make this game.

One problem: Commedia d'ell arte is performed entirely in pantomime. That being said, replace speech with gestures and we might have something there. It'd certainly be an interesting experiment. I'd be happy to supply any art necessary, if you'd like to collab on it.

Well, the pantomime element would probably actually make things easier as we wouldn't need a full conversation system.  I'm working on a few other project, so this wouldn't be able to get my full attention, but I'd definitely like to do a collab as another side project.  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »

A 2.5D platformer, similar to Super Metroid (tons of secrets), based around exploration. When you are exploring, there are seldome any enemies, but when there are enemies, it is usually a boss, in which the screen turns to 1st person view.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
shig
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2009, 07:22:05 AM »

Macguyver-themed point and click adventure.
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »

I've wanted to do a sort of "Video Game Mogul"-type project for a while. So, basically, a simulation game about running a company that makes games. But, I think the really interesting part would be to allow anyone to play or at least compete with historical game companies in different eras, making the game also a really good way to learn the history of gaming. Play as Atari and make sure you don't produce 12 million Pac-Man cartridges! Play as EA and see how well you can do making original IPs with your nearly unlimited resources! That's the only problem, is I don't know if you can include other game companies and the titles of their games without legal issues. I know logos would be out of the question, but are company names?

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »

I think you'd be better off with parodies of specific companies; it allows you to avoid copyright/trademark issues, and gives you a greater amount of creative freedom. On the other hand, if you're aiming for an edutainment vibe- well, shoot...

This is less of a single game pitch but rather an outline for a potential long-term project. I thought MDickie's The You Testament was an interesting game, in that it combined aspects of his previous games into one complicated title. Whether or not it worked I can't really say (I haven't played it yet- anyone know if it's any good?). I think that it would be intriguing for a group to split up a very complicated game world into its own separate parts, where one team is solely focused on the vehicular aspects, another on 3rd person run and jump, and so on. Each 'part' could be developed as its own standalone game- maybe even released to generate profit for the whole thing- and with each team focused on their specialty, each part grows and matures. Soon, the teams begin collaborating with each other- the racing team decides they want an on-foot section, so they call up that particular group to handle it. The on-foot team already has the tools and knowledge to make it as entertaining as the rest of the game.

The ultimate test of this idea would be to design a sandbox game, with each segment developed separately. Instead of one huge team trying to handle everything at once, you break up the mechanics into smaller projects, then bring them all together. Of course, there's a caveat: massive amount of co-ordination would be needed, in both people and technology. But hey, that's what pipe dreams are for, right?
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »

I played The You Testament. It had a very odd feel to it, mostly interesting, but certain isolated elements reeked of a lack of polish (like the characters' eyes and how chaotic the world feels).

Other than the massive work, the main problem with my idea is that I really want it to involve real companies. I don't want a New Star Soccer-ish "Konumi" and "Nentindo", so much as I want to actually document gaming history procedurally, in a game. Baseball Mogul manages to use historical players and team names, but it doesn't have logos, so I wonder just what exactly is the legal situation with that sort of product.

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »

A first person "shooter" in which you have an ammo-less gun that you must use to intimidate people.

Sorry if it's a little underdeveloped.  Blink
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2009, 03:04:46 AM »

A first person "shooter" in which you have an ammo-less gun that you must use to intimidate people.

Sorry if it's a little underdeveloped.  Blink
That could be cool, if you robbed a bank or something and had to stay intimidating but keep the situation in check or they would realize you're a hollow threat. That's a pretty good idea.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2009, 04:21:36 AM »

That's an awesome idea. Maybe it could be a multiplayer game, where one person has the empty gun (or maybe one person has a loaded gun?)- the games would probably be very quick, unfortunately. I wonder how you could maintain tension in that situation.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2009, 07:22:51 AM »

That's an awesome idea. Maybe it could be a multiplayer game, where one person has the empty gun (or maybe one person has a loaded gun?)- the games would probably be very quick, unfortunately. I wonder how you could maintain tension in that situation.

Interesting! How about two people have loaded guns, everyone else has empty guns. The loaded guns each contain a single bullet. The loaded gun's goal is to shoot the other loaded gunner and avoid getting shot. The empty's goal is to get misidentified as a loaded gunner. If a gunner shoots the other gunner, he gets a point and the round is over. If he shoots an empty, he loses a point, the empty gains a point, and the round continues until the other gunner shoots. If the other gunner sees him fire, it's an easy point for him. If time runs out, anyone who didn't shoot loses a point.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »

noyb, that sounds great,but it would only work if the players could actually talk.

so how about this one:

a 2 player simultaneous platformer. each player is a robot, and they need to use teamwork to get to the end of the level. but they also need to be careful because each player has a button/primer on the top of their head. and player 1 will have to jump on the head of player 2 to keep him powered up, and vice versa. so it will be a balance of splitting up to reach levers and switches, but also need to stay somewhat close to keep each other alive. once I finish the game I have now I will probably try this idea.

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »

I've wanted to do a sort of "Video Game Mogul"-type project for a while. So, basically, a simulation game about running a company that makes games. But, I think the really interesting part would be to allow anyone to play or at least compete with historical game companies in different eras, making the game also a really good way to learn the history of gaming. Play as Atari and make sure you don't produce 12 million Pac-Man cartridges! Play as EA and see how well you can do making original IPs with your nearly unlimited resources! That's the only problem, is I don't know if you can include other game companies and the titles of their games without legal issues. I know logos would be out of the question, but are company names?
I think someone posted something like that on TDC once.

http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=4949
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=6455

Not sure if this is the kind of game you meant.

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »

Off topic I know, but I looked at those screenshots. Freaking. Awesome. Looks like 1993 MacOs shareware. That's a good thing...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »

After the apocalypse, the post office has been forced to update its motto: "The mail must go through: rain, shine, or zombies..."

(Has this been done before? A quick google search says no, but my "I've read this somewhere and forgot about it and now think its my own idea" sensor is going off...)

NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »

Those are a lot like what I want to make. I notice that they autoscramble the names of games as well, but not companies or platforms. It's rather ugly and intimidating though, even for a simulation game. I think that was just a graphic layout problem.

NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: June 04, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »

GameBiz 2 is really difficult to play. I don't just mean that it's a complicated simulation game (I play tons of sims, and grand strategy games, so I'm used to the textiness) but it is just difficult to look at and navigate. I like the design behind it, but the interface is impossible. So, I'd still like to take a crack at a game like this.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: June 04, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »

noyb, that sounds great,but it would only work if the players could actually talk.

It'd be really easy to turn this into a card game a la Drug Dealer/Mafia; each player is given a single card. If they get, say, an ace, then they have a loaded gun. Players need to figure out who has a loaded gun, and survive to the end of the round. The only question is how to make it interesting for the person who doesn't have a loaded gun. Maybe two players could enter a duel, and if both had a loaded gun card, then they both died. Something like that would make it more intense...
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2009, 09:35:41 PM »

Ooh, the Mafia model could work great. Slight variation from the above: multiple rounds, persistent roles. Each team has an equal number of loaded guns. The empties don't know who the loaded guns are, but the loaded guns know who each other are (since they would all choose to kill at the same time). The game alternates between day (talking) and night (each loaded gun chooses whom to kill). The game is over if all of a team's loaded guns are killed. So you have this dynamic of the empties wanting to sacrifice themselves to save the loaded guns, but being too strong about it would make those who weren't so eager to die suspicious.

Hrm... come to think of it, this is sounding a lot like Mafia between multiple mafia factions without the lynching.  Embarrassed

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2009, 11:41:15 PM »

This was actually accomplished quite well by the aptly titled and awesome board game "Cash n' Guns."   Essentially, each player has 8 cards.  5 that say "click", two that say "bang", and one that says "bang bang bang."  The game would last for 8 rounds. 

Each round, 5 cardboard bills of money are flipped over from the pile and must be split evenly between the players (who play the role of bank robbers).  All the players choose one of their cards to play face down.  Clicks mean the gun won't fire, bangs mean it will, and bang bang bang also fires, but does so before the bangs.  Each card can only be used once. 

On the count of three, the players point their foam guns at each other.  Everyone then has a chance to back out if they think someone pointing a foam gun at them has a bang and not a click.  Everyone still remaining who doesn't get shot then splits the loot and a new round begins.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic