Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 02:54:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 62073 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2012, 12:55:38 AM »

I basically drew the scene once for each light, and then added the results together - ended up a bit complex but worked, just seemed to make everything a bit too bright but I should play with it more.

Couldn't you draw a black plane and draw the lights as white circles? Although, that wouldn't work with the special normal mapped materials...

Similar principles but instead of light circles I hand a point and strength to the shader and it takes care of everything.

I love you long time for making me try it again:

Looks fucking cool in game like this, and because it overlays the sun on the wall and it's a circle shape, the following part of the scene looks x1000 more awesome.

It *COULD* do with more lighting being projected onto the walls above since the chest is emitting a beam that goes up, working on it still. In this screenshot, only the background wall is actually affected by the second light (just hadn't put the code in all the right places yet).

EDIT:

Here we go, this is looking better:

Light is now more colourful from the triangle.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:13:20 AM by Claw » Logged

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2012, 02:49:22 AM »

Neat. I have a question - do you draw these triangles simply as modified by shaders pictures, or you do it by, say, drawing lines using OpenGL commands?

Much like glDrawArrays(GL_LINES,0,3)?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »

Lines are just using GL_LINE_LOOP. Really I should be handing in the vert lists but I got lazy for non-texture based coords so far and have just used glBegin/glEnd.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »

Took another screenshot and felt it was pretty cool, so thought I'd share:

Almost finished this now, been working on sound design for a large portion of this afternoon so far. Needs some polish work but coming along well.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »

Looks really cool. I think something else that might add a little bit would be to add an additive blend to some of the lighting - that way, it's not just going from black to illuminated (normal, opaque color), but goes a little bit 'higher'. I don't know - it might not add anything, but I think it'd be cool.

Also, the lighting effect on that chest is awesome-looking!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »

Looks really cool. I think something else that might add a little bit would be to add an additive blend to some of the lighting - that way, it's not just going from black to illuminated (normal, opaque color), but goes a little bit 'higher'. I don't know - it might not add anything, but I think it'd be cool.

Also, the lighting effect on that chest is awesome-looking!

What do you mean about the additive blending exactly? You mean make the light source have more of a 'glow', like a bigger blur effect round them - or just brighter lighting on stuff in general? or less of a drop between the colour bands around light sources, so it blends more?

Sorry I just didn't quite catch what you meant there Tongue

All the lights are using additive blending - the last picture I'm purposefully making the surrounding area darker so the focus is purely on the player + green beam (if that is connected to what you're saying?)

Actually reading it again I think I get what you mean, like a bigger glow effect around lights, just additively blending a big circle with faded edges over the lights?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »

A slight one, yeah, I think it would help.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »

...I really want to know what's in that chest now...

Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »

Woooaaaah, this looks absolutely fantastic  Shocked the lighting looks really great, and the walking on shadows... man. Keep up the awesome work! I'm definitely watching this one.
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »

This game really have a huge potential, and from what I've seen so far, it's gonna kick ass.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »

Thanks fellas Beer!

I'm moving to a new apartment tomorrow, minus internet so not sure if I'm gonna make it for screenshot saturday this week Sad When I get settled in, it might actually help me to just work on it without internet for a while.

Not got much screenshot worthy at the moment anyway, been doing some behind the scenes work and work on the editor this week. Also tried a fucking ton of character alterations and still ended up not liking many/any of them, not much different except a subtle bit of colour change on it but still, WIP.

Had some brainwaves regarding design ideas and areas, should be fun to make.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »

Thanks fellas Beer!

I'm moving to a new apartment tomorrow, minus internet so not sure if I'm gonna make it for screenshot saturday this week Sad When I get settled in, it might actually help me to just work on it without internet for a while.

Not got much screenshot worthy at the moment anyway, been doing some behind the scenes work and work on the editor this week. Also tried a fucking ton of character alterations and still ended up not liking many/any of them, not much different except a subtle bit of colour change on it but still, WIP.

Had some brainwaves regarding design ideas and areas, should be fun to make.

keep pushing forward, dood!

play hydlide 2
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2012, 02:16:15 AM »

Not had chance to do much work on this lately whilst moving flats and having to do a load of real life stuff, and also - Spelunky. But I have managed to wrangle this together:

Walk cycle:

Moved away from the Gomez resemblance, and I quite like this little char - any critiques comments and suggestions welcome as always. The outline around the top of his head is a bit less pronounced in game with the normal mapping on.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2012, 02:22:08 AM »

I'm gonna miss Gomez's brother, but sentimental attachment aside it looks great.

orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

I know your moving away from the Gomez resemblance, but he could still do with a hat!  Gentleman

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2012, 02:54:11 AM »

I like the new hero sprite, but perhaps the black eyes could be a dark grey or drawn as actual holes (i.e. a highlight on one edge of the eyes).

Are you going to add more colours to the tiles and level graphics, it does seem very grey right now.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:41 AM »

I'm gonna miss Gomez's brother, but sentimental attachment aside it looks great.

Thanks Smiley

I know your moving away from the Gomez resemblance, but he could still do with a hat!  Gentleman

hah, it would start looking like Dr Foetus then Tongue

I like the new hero sprite, but perhaps the black eyes could be a dark grey or drawn as actual holes (i.e. a highlight on one edge of the eyes).

Are you going to add more colours to the tiles and level graphics, it does seem very grey right now.

Yes and no. The game is all about colour, so it will have colour - but not in an entirely conventional way.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »

That looks great, liked the old guy but new guy is definitely better in my opinion.

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »

Oh my god yes I love this new character so much :3

Especially the run cycle good god that's so fantastic

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

I have a question:
Will he always be so obviously a lightbulb?
or when he gets the light powers, will his face turn transparent until he looks like that?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic