Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 01:46:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2640468 times)
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3240 on: July 19, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »

Geti, I love the look of that and the depth it creates!  My only suggestion is to take what you did with the clouds and make a couple faint one-color transparent foreground layers that exist in the lower portion of the screen, for some mist / fog atmosphere that cuts away some of the contrast of the actual tiles.

SageKanye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:07 AM »

I'm still an amateur as you could probably tell. Especially when it comes to light  Embarrassed
I want to eventually do something similar to this after a year or so of practice.

I'm a wannabe game dev/artist/blogger.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3242 on: July 19, 2011, 05:11:59 AM »

Geti, I love the look of that and the depth it creates!  My only suggestion is to take what you did with the clouds and make a couple faint one-color transparent foreground layers that exist in the lower portion of the screen, for some mist / fog atmosphere that cuts away some of the contrast of the actual tiles.
Yeah, I've thought about doing that and will see how it goes Smiley Glad you like it.

Newer version on the KAG devlog for those interested.

ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: July 19, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »

I'm still an amateur as you could probably tell. Especially when it comes to light  Embarrassed
I want to eventually do something similar to this after a year or so of practice.

This is really nice, especially for being new! Although his left arm/hand looks awkward.

Keep on making stuff with this style!  Smiley
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3244 on: July 19, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »

I think it's perfect and I get a nice horror adventure vibe from this.

HouseHeadStudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 19, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »

Xna game i am working on.. just a test to see what characters would look like within a possible environment.. pretty thrown together but pretty happy with the results.. its kinda a metroidvania/nes zelda'ish kinda game.. and hopefully it comes to be.. so far so good! its a non-traditional kinda pixel art style.. and inspired by many things including sword & sworcery. There is more characters and stuff if you want to see in the show us some of your pixel art section of the forums..
SageKanye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 20, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »

Xna game i am working on.. just a test to see what characters would look like within a possible environment.. pretty thrown together but pretty happy with the results.. its kinda a metroidvania/nes zelda'ish kinda game.. and hopefully it comes to be.. so far so good! its a non-traditional kinda pixel art style.. and inspired by many things including sword & sworcery. There is more characters and stuff if you want to see in the show us some of your pixel art section of the forums..

This looks great! I love the unique style!

antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: July 20, 2011, 01:21:49 AM »

It makes me think of what would happen if Sessame Street got corrupted.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3248 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:39 AM »

I like it, but I wonder what it would look like with a pixel background also? making everything unified.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3249 on: July 20, 2011, 08:38:54 AM »

My first "mockup"
Technically it's just my programmer art.
I've decided to practice with a few sprites a day so that I can be a more well-rounded developer (code, art, desgin).

Experimenting with the thick outlines this morning.

EDIT: Pixels got a bit screwed when I transferred it out of GM.  WTF

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3250 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »

My first "mockup"
I've decided to practice with a few sprites a day so that I can be a more well-rounded developer (code, art, desgin).

The knight is too dark and hard to make out. I would go with some slightly lighter, less saturated colors for him, or maybe some more striking highlights. The other guy is fine, but is a little hard to read. Is he wearing a cloak? Or is hi in some sort of boot. Also, the shading on the grass seems like banding to me. Otherwise the line work and style is well done.
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3251 on: July 20, 2011, 02:32:32 PM »

My first "mockup"

Thanks for the tips! I just started trying to do my own art so these are exactly the things that I needed to hear. I'll edit these with the suggestions you mentioned and maybe upload some other stuff in the pixel art thread. Thanks Smiley
The knight is too dark and hard to make out. I would go with some slightly lighter, less saturated colors for him, or maybe some more striking highlights. The other guy is fine, but is a little hard to read. Is he wearing a cloak? Or is hi in some sort of boot. Also, the shading on the grass seems like banding to me. Otherwise the line work and style is well done.

Kyron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3252 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

Status screen mockup. The two empty plates on the right should be where the equipped armor and accessory should be displayed. Also missing the spot for the current state of your sword. I'll probably place it in the lower right under the armor slot.

@Codetroll
The knight needs some brighter highlights so that the black line work can stand apart from the gray color of the metal, right now it gets lost. Maybe also a light brown line to separate the blonde characters hair from his skin, though I may only say that because it looks like it got blurred around that area when you exported from gm.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: July 20, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

This project of yours is looking superb, Kyron.  Kiss
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3254 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »

I would look over the font choice a little bit though. I'm getting too much of a "cartoony" vibe rather than fantasy or RPG as your game seems to be.
namragog
« Reply #3255 on: July 20, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »

Extremely basic mockup of a game thingie. VERY basic, only in the concept stage. Don't judge the gameplay by what you see  Gentleman It is not much of a platformer.

So yeah... feedback please???
HouseHeadStudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: July 20, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

I like it, but I wonder what it would look like with a pixel background also? making everything unified.

I plan on doing a pixelated background.. that is the next step.. the clouds and the blue sky were just a thing i did to see what it would look like quickly.. and as far as the sesame street comment that has to be the best thing i have ever heard haha.. it also means the style is coming across perfectly for what the game will be like! haha
SageKanye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: July 20, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »

A game that I'm planning on making, it'll probably have a very arcade-like feel, you'll get combo's, power ups, and high scores by running around a level and eating tons of humans! The theme is Galactic Cannibalism, which is when two galaxies collide, and the smaller galaxy gets sucked into the other.

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3258 on: July 20, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »

Extremely basic mockup of a game thingie. VERY basic, only in the concept stage. Don't judge the gameplay by what you see  Gentleman It is not much of a platformer.

Umm... if it is only in the concept stage, you're going to have to at least explain the concept in brief if you want good feedback. Otherwise I think that the art is a little inconsistent, with the complex patterns of the hieroglyphs (or whatever those blocks are) clashing with the more simple ground tiles. Not to mention that the almost gradient-ish highlights are very ugly.
johnnoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3259 on: July 21, 2011, 12:43:03 AM »

-IMAGE-

I just want to say that I adore the gradiant-ish highlights, but you'd need to use them for every object or none at all to keep it at all consistent.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic