Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411690 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 18, 2024, 05:14:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsMicro Game Jam (on rails)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Micro Game Jam (on rails)  (Read 8984 times)
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »

Ehilà!
This is the story of a new (I hope so) form of Game Jamming.
It so happened that the day after the Global Game Jam 2010 in Catania, at 9.08 in the morning, we (me and Rosario Milone of Moonloop) took the Intercity train to Naples. After an hour of sleep (me) and music (Rosario), still half asleep I say:
"What about completing the GGJ game now?" [it only had the first level]
"Why not"
"But... why don't we do another thing, why don't we do another Jam??"
- Rosario got excited..
"Yeah, let's do a train jam!"
"Wanna try?"
"How can we do, we don't have power plugs for the PCs!"
"So let's go on as long as the batteries hold!"
"OK"

Rosario got REALLY excited, and I did too, because we really liked the idea of having a jam in this improvised way...
So it was born the...
Well, hello there! Micro Game Jam (on rails) Well, hello there!

Ok, we needed a theme. Soon we found one:

Hand Point Right "As long as we have battery, we'll never run into problems" Hand Point Left

Perfect, so the theme is energy, the batteries... charge... think... think... mmm...
We had to find a good concept for a game, of course in Flash, that had to be nice and low on graphics. I proposed something 'abstract', like Eliss, but in the end we created a 'tangible' context anyway.

Some sketches on the notepads that Microsoft gave us at the GGJ

The concept

The concept is this: the player is in control of an enormous floating tower (on the right in the drawing there's the initial versions, with threads or feet), something like Howl's Wandering Castle, but in water. The tower swims trough the sea, and is moved by electric energy, produced by a dinamo on top of it.
The player has to produce energy doing a click-and-drag movement with the mouse on the gear shaped dinamo on the top. In the meanwhile, he has to manage small little units in the shape of batteries (you can see them in the sketch - left page, top - in 4 forms).
Those units are automatically produced in the core of the tower, and the player has to send them to the Nodes on the tower (the white balls) via a click/gather and click/dispatch mechanic, like in Eufloria.
The units are needed because enemy units will come and attack the tower from outside, and drain energy. When energy is lost, the tower begins to sink, and the Nodes begin to be covered with water. Once a Node is in the water, it can be attacked but not defended, so it's a very dangerous leak of power.
Once the energy reaches 0, the game is over. The goal is the high-score, that is determined by how much distance was covered by the floating tower.

The Jam

After sketching the concept, we got out of the train that in the meanwhile had been swallowed by a big ferry that was roving through the Strict of Messina, towards Calabria. We got on the main deck and ate a big "arancino" (a Sicilian gourmandise) for the acceptable price of 2€, because game devs need fuel.
Once we got back in the train, we made a lot of calculations, wrote down a task list, made some simple meta-programming, and then...
Contact!
We turned on the laptops in sync, but we soon found out that Rosario's was very low on battery, it only had 23 minutes left. We turned it off, and started developing on my Mac.
The timer said: 3 hours and a half. Mmm, a little too few. Hand Thumbs Down Left

Rosario completes the task list while I'm doing the first graphics

I brought out of the bag my trusty pen tablet, but soon found out that drawing a straight line in a moving train was impossible. So I drew the bare minimum to see the game in action, and then we moved on to programming.
We were lightning fast, Rosario even used some very bad code practices that I still dream at night, but he was very fast in creating the first classes for the game.

A closeup of the first prototype in motion

Towards the end Rosario was a little 'roasted' Angry, because after 3 hours with a laptop on your... lap, you feel like you are in the Sahara desert. So I took the Mac and went on with the programming.

The scarf is now my symbol.

After a lot of time in which we took some photos of ourselves (with the girl in the cabin thinking: "these guys are crazy"), sadly the Jam ended with the Mac having only 2% of battery, and Rosario that got out of the train because we reached his destination. Cry

The end

In the end, we failed.
The game anyway was up and running, the programming is there at 60%. We need to re-do the graphics from the start, finish the game and do some balancing. Anyway, not bad for a 3-4 hours of work, we even started without a concept!!

Towards the end of the Jam, here's a video interview with the developers involved in the jam. (sorry it's in italian!)

We're going to finish the game soon. I'll post the game and eventual art as soon as I have them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:08:41 PM by CiroContinisio » Logged

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »

Great post!

I'd love to see some more details of the game. The sketches look really interesting.

Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:30:16 AM »

Cool story, Ciro. I'll look forward to hear more about that   Hand Metal LeftGrin:handmetalR:
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:17:21 AM »

Making games on a train is so much fun.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:14:04 AM »

Here's some development, regarding graphics:

The game at the start:

On the top right the units of the game, worth (respectively) 1, 5, 10, 20.

Here's the Game over condition:

mude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:35:59 AM »

finish this interesting game!  Beer!

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »

Awesome. :D

I've wanted to try something like this while traveling to GDC, but my laptop battery is a mere 2 hours at most.  However, I do end up in an airport a few times en route.  Perhaps I can find a plug to charge up between flights.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 02:24:06 AM »

Awesome. :D

I've wanted to try something like this while traveling to GDC, but my laptop battery is a mere 2 hours at most.  However, I do end up in an airport a few times en route.  Perhaps I can find a plug to charge up between flights.

Yeah, go on! It's very fun.
If you are alone, I think you'll be even faster (concentrated).
By the way, my girlfriend's laptop had a very good battery (4 hours)... of course we didn't open other programs, listen to music, and so on.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 04:17:55 AM »

awesome stuff as always Ciro  Kiss

looking forward to play that game

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:42:36 PM »

Best gamejam idea ever. It's really hard to finish a game of any kind in that amount of time, so don't feel too bummed.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 08:59:39 AM »

Ah ah, surely we don't feel like it :D
A game jam with battery constraint is a crazy idea... although at the beginnning I thought we could make it. But then we discovered the PC's battery was already low, so...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »

Stories like these make me feel productive as well, even without a time limit!
Nice to hear the Italian, too.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 06:55:47 AM »

It's like... italian is cool. I never could foresee this happening. I mean, our public face in the world is Berlusconi!
Italian culture has been around for a little bit longer than Berlusconi.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:20 AM »

Italian culture has been around for a little bit longer than Berlusconi.

I hope so. You must know that when you see things from inside Italy, in this (historical) moment, the spirits are not so high. Our image abroad had never been so ruined, our premier is really a champ in making us look like idiots that only think about women and eating.

At least, this is the opinion of people with a brain that's still working.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »

Well if that's any comfort, it's not much better in france.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »

Ah ah, I know, I mean, I've met some French guys recently and they are not happy too.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic