Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 01:27:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFeel the love
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Feel the love  (Read 10138 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:26 AM »

Love demonstration video

Kiss

This looks amazing.

Before this I had only heard of the game vaguely and what it was about.

I can't wait to see how this one pans out.

by the way I love this from his site:

Love is not a casual thing you need to take seriously – it’s the most serious thing, in a casual way. If Love isn’t easy, you’re doing it wrong.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:56:02 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:38 AM »

Yes, this is a game I am desperately hoping for.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »

Wow--that looks really cool, but complicated. I get the feeling you'd have to spend hours learning how to build things and take them down.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »

I didn't get the impression that it is too complex. It rather reminded me of quite straightforward strategy: This is building vulnerable, so you'd want to protect it. A force field generator needs power, so you'd have to build a windmill. This windmill doesn't work at dawn -> The building is defenseless at dawn.

Anyway, this looked great. So far it looks somewhat like an extensive cooperative Dwarf Fortress in 3D including action and adventure elements - with beautiful, unique graphics. Yay? Yay!  Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Captain_404
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »

The graphics are simply phenomenal. The way all the colors work together is just perfect.

How the trees' shadows fall on the green grass in sunlight beneath a blue sky perfectly evokes a summer day for me. Just watching the video it makes me feel like a kid running around at summertime.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »

The video about his tools are almost more interesting. Looks like he established quite a nice workflow.
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »

I'm more interested in the "each server is 100 people with their own unique story" thing.  This is the same game, right?
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »

Huge version: http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/gameplay_video.html

While the game looks really nice, I found the other video where he's talking about the tools he's using much more interesting: http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/tool_video.html

Also, it kinda reminds me of DF in a way, which is awesome.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

Also, it kinda reminds me of DF in a way, which is awesome.
Yeah it does doesn't it, seems like singleman teams like to do that kind of stuff, however I think DF might be a little more vast than this.

However the fact that he developed all the tools himself (partly I am guessing) makes it even cooler.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 12:29:32 PM »

Does anyone know how he does his wonky edges? On the blog he says:
Most games have detailed surfaces, but sharp edges, so my goal became to make flat surfaces but have organic edges. This was done by using edge polygons with alpha tested textures.
http://news.quelsolaar.com/#post41

I don't know what to make of this. Maybe an edge polygon is a long rectangle that you place along the edge, at a suitable angle; it has a texture on it containing all the wonkiness, and the game uses this texture to blend somehow between the two faces meeting at the edge?  Durr...?

Or maybe, looking at the image in that post, the wonky edge is just a flat polygon, given a funny shape with an alpha texture, that sticks out perpendicularly from the edge, and is coloured somehow so that it looks like part of the faces meeting there?

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:59:48 PM »

That tools video is also rather impressive. Is the engine actually the whole reason why he's making Love? (Haha.. ha.) At least to me it sounds plausible that he is mainly trying to create this engine with outstandingly intuitive tools and Love is more of an extended tech demo for it. Then again, it looks like it's going to be very, very much extended..

I'm more interested in the "each server is 100 people with their own unique story" thing.  This is the same game, right?
In the gameplay demonstration video he mentions that there's going to be a maximum of 200 players per server, so I guess this is what you heard about Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 02:08:46 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »

That tools video is also rather impressive. Is the engine actually the whole reason why he's making Love? (Haha.. ha.) At least to me it sounds plausible that he is mainly trying to create this engine with outstandingly intuitive tools and Love is more of an extended tech demo for it. Then again, it looks like it's going to be very, very much extended..
It might be to promote his tools if it becomes a success.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

The tools are pretty flipping sweet- you can download them all for free if you want to try them out. I played around with the modeler (it's called Loq Airou- such weird names...), and it was actually a lot of fun. It felt like a toy, but something you could make serious stuff out of, which is the best kind of toy in my opinion.
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »

The tools are pretty flipping sweet- you can download them all for free if you want to try them out. I played around with the modeler (it's called Loq Airou- such weird names...), and it was actually a lot of fun. It felt like a toy, but something you could make serious stuff out of, which is the best kind of toy in my opinion.
Powerful but entertaining heh.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »

ay yi yi yi yi! This looks incredible. The tools look like nothing I've ever seen before, and still so sleek and nice. I want this game so hard. It even looks like something that might run on my comp if I turn the graphics down (which is a good thing Smiley).

JarMustard
Level 0

Moi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »

The freedom allowed by a system like this is just an incredible playground for innovation.  By creating all of these tools the author seems to be daring players to create systems beyond his expectation or even imagination for the game.  It seems to have the same feeling of potential that Dwarf fortress does.  Personally, i think i would be more drawn to this than dwarf fortress because the player can experience this environment with friends.  Being able to work together to achieve similar goals (or to be inspired by other people's design) seems to be the most compelling aspect to me.

Beyond the potential experience of playing, i am in love with the art style.  I always love to see when designers break up the fidelity of a static, 3d, sharp-edged digital world and create more fluid imagery.  In motion Love has a similar feeling as Out of this World.  (for those of you who didnt get to play this classic)

I really look forward to hearing more about this game.

have you guys had succeeded in creating any amazing design in dwarf fortress?

Twitter - @JarMustard
Steam - Jarmustard
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »

this looks amazing  Shocked Shocked Shocked

we will need to have TIGcity when it is out, and build something impressive together  Smiley

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »

I tried to play Another World and got as far as the jail break before getting pissed off and quitting. Really cool ideas and a wonderfully distinct art style, but it would be a lot more fun to play if it didn't punish you so much for screwing up- and didn't use passwords.

Oh, yeah, and Love looks amazing. Wonder if he'll make a Mac version...
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »

Does anyone know how he does his wonky edges?

I don't know what to make of this. Maybe an edge polygon is a long rectangle that you place along the edge, at a suitable angle; it has a texture on it containing all the wonkiness, and the game uses this texture to blend somehow between the two faces meeting at the edge?  Durr...?

Or maybe, looking at the image in that post, the wonky edge is just a flat polygon, given a funny shape with an alpha texture, that sticks out perpendicularly from the edge, and is coloured somehow so that it looks like part of the faces meeting there?

Either of these strategies sound like what he's doing. He might be doing one or two other post-processing / material / shader things to make it so it doesn't look like it's just a bunch of objects with their faces sticking out too far.

His tools look awesome, but I have no idea how to export their results for use in external, non-Verse applications. The fact that the meshes are all subdivision surfaces with smoothly-scaling automatic LODs sounds super-awesome. LODs are one of those annoying-but-necessary things I'd rather just not really have to think about.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »

The gameplay video looks awesome. All that city vuilding seems interesting, although I don't know how I'll like, considering I'm not much of a multiplayer person.

But the tools, the tools where mind blowin'. It's amazing to see someone go to the extent of doing such applications for themselves.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic