Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 07:45:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesChainsaw Launcher.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chainsaw Launcher.  (Read 1627 times)
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:20 AM »

Cortex Command build 23!

A few new missions, a few new weapons, a few new characters, scripting, and...

A Chainsaw Launcher.
Renton
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »

What what whaaat?

I really should buy the game sometime.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »

I should really learn how to buy things online.

I keep jamming dollar bills into the CD tray, but it isn't working! What do I do?  Cry

ON TOPIC: Cortex Command looks really cool. On the other hand, I downloaded one of the free versions once, and I didn't have a fucking clue what was going on. It's probably one of those Toribash/Dwarf Fortress things where you're playing randomly and it suddenly all makes sense. When I first tried, though... yikes.

I should check it out a bit more thoroughly.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:14:09 AM »

It's a DF thing.

You realize that successfully dropping in a set of troops is an operation all on its own, that all your body armor is really crappy, and your troops are a split-second away from getting dismembered or completely smashed into a fine paste.

Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »

If you have someone to play with, you really should. I have probably put more hours in this game than any other except Morrowind maybe mostly because of the great mods that are more than plenty.

People seem mostly put off it because of the awkward walking, but when you understand that you have no reason to walk when you have a damn jetpack the game starts making sense (a cheap gamepad might help too).
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:21:56 AM »

After having quite some fun with the free versions I bought it some time ago. I haven't even played it much since, but it's obvious that this game is going to get more and more awesome over the time Grin

As I don't have a clue about scripting and stuff: Does the LUA support mean that there are going to be lots of cool, varied missions by fans? Durr...?

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:36:10 AM »

Lua support for maps was already in the last build, but mission making didn't pick up quite as I hoped it would. There are a couple really good ones though like orbit lands. Now Lua has been implemented for items and characters and this will makes a tons of nice mods possible. Time stop/slow grenade? Already made. A vortex that sucks everything nearby killing it horribly and homing missiles? Done and done.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:11:04 AM »

I see. Yeah, I've also played a few missions for the last build, and at least Prison Escape or so was really good. I also tried making a really simple mission myself, with a map I created using the editor and then just the goal to kill every enemy. Alas, I utterly failed. Too bad.

Anyway, then at least I hope that there will still be more missions in the future, or possibly that making missions will at some point be easy even for people without programming skills.
Because, while I think that the myriad of custom weapons and actors, oftentimes with pretty cool new features, is very nice, I find that using them for typical sandbox games gets old after a while. I'd really just like a lot of varied missions, even if it's as simple as "Infiltrate that enemy base" or so Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic