Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:28:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioI want to write music for your game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I want to write music for your game  (Read 4586 times)
paniq
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »

Hi everyone,

Hereby I announce that I would love to write soundtracks for indie games, and I'm offering my help.

I will compose for free; the fun of working on imaginative games with creative people is rewarding enough (plus I will at some point compile a CC-licensed album from my work  Well, hello there!).

I'm releasing electronic music on the net since 10 years under the artist name "paniq". My dream is to write weird music for weird games, and I love what the indie section has to offer. I want to be a part of this, but I don't know where to start, so I thought I'd start by letting all you game designers know that I'm at your service Smiley

For work samples, here is a realtime 3d demo (as in "demoscene") from 2006, which I designed and composed. It won 1st place at Evoke 2006.

Last year I released an invitation demo for a demoscene party organized by nVidia, featuring one of the most extensive soundtracks that I have ever done. It won first place at last years Breakpoint party and got the demo of the year award from 4players.de:

In case you want to download the soundtrack or get the original executable, go here:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=50131

There is of course always my homebase at www.paniq.org, which links to all the albums that I have done.

If you dig my crap and you are seriously interested, please contact me by mail or direct message and let me know what you are working on, and what you have in mind. It's best if your game is already in a playable state.

Looking forward to your feedback Coffee,

Leonard
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:17:28 AM by paniq » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:37:43 AM »

Wow, it's really cool to see someone making such a selfless offer like this!

I really enjoyed the videos you posted too. Your macro/microverse thing could in itself be the starting point for a great game of some kind.

It would be really cool to see you work with cactus on something. Your music seems really suited to his style.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:33 AM »

Nice stuff!

You might want to introduce yourself in the introductory thread, it's just a certain thing TIGers like to see from new members  Giggle
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:59:16 AM »

This is amazing Addicted
paniq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:38:23 AM »

Nice stuff!

You might want to introduce yourself in the introductory thread, it's just a certain thing TIGers like to see from new members  Giggle

Allright then! Where is this introductory thread which you speak of?

thank you Smiley
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:51:22 AM »

Allright then! Where is this introductory thread which you speak of?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Also; the demoscene with the type is awesome.

paniq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:51:50 AM »

thank you! and done Smiley
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »

Hey paniq, here is another demoscener (although it has been years since i made anything demo-related :-P and nothing to be proud of).

If you don't mind doing MODs (i know some people *do* mind), i would love to put some music in my Rombo flash game that actually fits the game and is not used there only because the song is free to use if you credit the author :-P.

~bs~
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »

Totally. Brilliant.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »

Hey there! Good to see a demoscener come into the indie gaming fold. I went to Buenzli in 2006 when I was studying abroad but I haven't got the cash to finance flying all the way to Europe for demoparties. I just need to get one of those "job" things over there...

paniq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »

If you don't mind doing MODs (i know some people *do* mind), i would love to put some music in my Rombo flash game that actually fits the game and is not used there only because the song is free to use if you credit the author :-P.

Oh, sorry to turn you down, but I do mind :/ I enjoy very much the artistic freedom of being able to use DSP effects and synthesizers, and I would feel terribly crippled if I had to resort to low resolution samples. You say that it is a flash game, why is streaming not an option?
paniq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »

Hey there! Good to see a demoscener come into the indie gaming fold. I went to Buenzli in 2006 when I was studying abroad but I haven't got the cash to finance flying all the way to Europe for demoparties. I just need to get one of those "job" things over there...

Hi there Smiley I was at Buenzli once and I found it nice and quiet.
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »

Harrharr, a scener I also am. Although I don't make demos and can't attend parties outside of finland :/ Would like to go to Breakpoint, though. But I can make a plasma-effect so I'm not a lamer!
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

Wow, there was a demoparty in San Jose? I would have never guessed.

Sucks that I live in North Carolina...

edit:
It's cool how much more awesome demos are on a big projector... I especially like this one:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:33:23 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

OmniMuffin
Level 1

To the gallows I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »

That blew my mind into yesterday
godsavant
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »

That 3D demo is orgasmically good in both visual and audio composition. Kiss Kiss Kiss

Please, no 'fapfapfap' smiley responses to this, I'm being serious here.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »

You say that it is a flash game, why is streaming not an option?

Due to technical*1, size*2 and distribution*3 issues.

*1 = I don't use (or even have) the Flash IDE. I use the haXe language which provides a cross-platform, cross-target (Flash 6/7/8/9/10, JavaScript, server, PHP, C and i believe soon Java), sane coder-friendly environment, but it lacks some features that Flash IDE provides due to its code-only nature. One of the most important features is preloading, which means everything has to be loaded at once.

*2 = The file must be as small as possible because since there is no preloader, the player will stare at a black area until the game is fully downloaded. Also since i plan to have this and other games of mine in my site, i want to keep the bandwidth usage as low as possible since unlike normal downloadable games, flash games are stored in the cache which tends to be cleaned now and then so if someone likes the game almost every time he plays it, he will have to redownload it. MODs save a lot of space when compared with flat audio formats. Also i can use longer music with MODs and put more variety in the game by using more MODs without sacrificing much space (although in Rombo i don't do this, i plan to do it in some next games).

*3 = Most Flash portals refuse games which are more than one file so i can't use external music data either.

And of course beyond the practical stuff, its also the novelty of being the first (or one of the first since i've heard about someone else using my flash mod player) to use tracked music in a flash game :-P.

EDIT:
1995 rocks.

~bs~
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

Never imagined I'd meet you here.

I like that one most as you probably or maybe know.

paniq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 04:38:18 AM »

Thank you very much Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic