Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 03:20:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralKickstart This Shit
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Kickstart This Shit  (Read 56961 times)
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »

LadyCoders: Get Hired. Seattle 2012
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166494057/ladycoders-get-hired-seattle-2012

All the contents will be released under creative common license. They've come close with only $5k to pass the goal. I hope they'll make it  Concerned

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »

I didn't think AVGN had a big enough fandom to be worth exploiting.
hes one of the most well known gaming-related people on the interweb and spawned a legion of imitators so yeah
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »

I guess I'm just totally insulated from pop culture. I thought he'd faded from the spotlight already. Guess I just have to be more observant.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »

Delicious pixels, looting and shooting. By the fellas who brought us Wizorb and Scott Pilgrim! Including Pixeltao. Well, I'm excited.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/322438897/mercenary-kings

oh you just did it

well whatever i fucking love all the nerds involved in the making of this game

they're cool people

cool game people

tribute i love you
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/322438897/mercenary-kings

oh you just did it

well whatever i fucking love all the nerds involved in the making of this game

they're cool people

cool game people

tribute i love you

Hell yes.

Also just noticed Pixeltao put up a thread a few hours before. Whoops oh well these guys need more dollars
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:27 AM »

I have an incommensurable respect for David Crane's work ,and that's why I want this kickstarter to fail. Also, the second guy in the video has a real meme face.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »

Another lol-starter. Come on! 900k for a game?! I could believe 300k, but 900k is borderline insane.

Yeah.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »

talking of 900k goals, I want this Kickstarter to shut up and take my money. If they get money upfront, maybe they'll spend less time on trying to monetise every second of gameplay like they did with SMNC, and more time making it run well on older computers and including things like anti-aliasing.

Not trying to bash Uber, I really like them, but they simply didn't get the sort of numbers they needed playing SMNC to keep it viable as a free-to-play game. And that makes me sad. I want to see them succeed. I still want to see SMNC succeed too :<

olücæbelel
Nix
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »

That looks awesome, but what happened to plain old pre-orders where you get to play the development version  Sad
PowRTocH
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »

everything itt

Why it bothers me, personally:
- I don't like it that you can make a non-substantial video with celebrity cameos and get $100k for it, while it's much harder to get that with honest work and effort.
- I don't like it that someone thought starting a website may require such money in the first place. Especially as the one it's based on looks like a simple blog.
- The video also didn't tell me how it's going to be different.
- I don't think it's a scam, to be honest. I'm sure Brandon believes in it. But I see it as gaming the kickstarter system. Well-recognized names, nostalgia, a bit of pretense = instant money.
- I don't like the fact that it worked. I would rather see that money go to people who really need it or just be spent on indie games.
- I find it troubling that despite getting twice the set goal (which was supposed to go towards making this a full-time gig), the website doesn't exists after a year. Not even a temporary blog that could show us what kind of articles are going to appear on the site, and keep us updated on the development progress.
- Brandon coming here, and basically saying: "Haters gonna hate, I have 100k now lol!", instead of: "I understand your concerns, but we're working on it despite problems X and Y" bothers me too.
- In general, this and similar cases make me worried. It looks like these days it's more profitable to declare you start a project than to actually make one. It's a bit like in the stock market and startup community and it's troubling. Such abuses inevitably lead to bubble bursting, killing an otherwise viable funding options, and can even cause market crashes. It's irresponsible.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2012, 03:58:22 AM »

ADOM'S GETTING AN UPDATE

Waaagh!

He's passed the goal (yay!) but there aaaaare stretch goals. ADOM's the only game to consume even more of my time than Spelunky, so the prospect of an update fills me with a combination of joy and dread. But mainly joy.

But seriously I'm terrified I HAVE A LIFE TO LIVE.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2012, 04:39:29 AM »

STRETCH GOAL #4: ADOM DELUXE ON STEAM (upon reaching $65,000)

This seems weird. How can he promise that Steam will accept the game? And if they already have, why would he only sell it through Steam if he gets $65,000 through a kickstarter?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2012, 04:54:00 AM »

Yeah, that sounds suspicious. More of a "Give me money or I won't do this" tactic rather than something like "I need money to do this".

Nix
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:41 AM »

He's the same person who released the only closed-source roguelike ever
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2012, 05:06:46 AM »

"Give me money or I won't do this" still doesn't make sense. Getting on Steam will make him money. So it's like "give me money or I won't put the game on Steam and make more money".

Huh?

Edit: Not to get into an open source debate, but he has every right not to release the source code to his game. Also, there are plenty of other closed-source roguelikes.

Laserbrain Studios
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2012, 05:24:37 AM »

He's the same person who released the only closed-source roguelike ever
Meaning?

Yeah.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2012, 09:31:32 AM »

I don't think there is a problem in releasing a closed-source roguelike

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »

I don't think there is a problem in releasing a closed-source roguelike
Seems like roguelikes are the only genre where this is a thing that people even argue about. In any other genre, people would be okay with someone keeping the source code of their game private. How did this happen?

Also, to a few posters above: ADOM Deluxe is a different thing from regular old ADOM. It's not like he's just going to put ADOM on Steam without any changes. The Deluxe version would contain special features, and those are the features that are funded by that stretch goal, not the process of getting the game on Steam.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »

The question of how he can promise that the game will get on Steam remains.

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic