Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 07:23:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStylistic Aspects of Platform Games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Stylistic Aspects of Platform Games  (Read 5475 times)
increpare
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:45:38 AM »

cave story didn't invented anything, there are a lot of games on the nes using a similar style
Actually, one of the things I associate cave story with is the scattered placement of square blocks within a slightly smoother landscape.  Are there nes precedents for this technique?

8bit platformers barely had any non blocky collision method (i can remember only kirby having several degrees of slopes) so i don't think there's a game with smooth landscapes and such, with or without square blocks inside it...
Hmm...let me rephrase; I was speaking of the inclusion of rigid blocks within a slightly more organic-looking backdrop.  One could just as easily achieve this effect by putting blocks in amidst rock-tiles on a nes game as in a mode modern one.  And if the block is firmly embedded in the landscape, collision doesn't really come in to play directly.

THAT SAID, I think the thesis that this emerged as a result of non-blocky collision a not-at-all unreasonable one, and quite interesting.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:08:57 AM by increpare » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:00:01 AM »

Did this post end up wrong Huh?

increpare
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:09:18 AM »

wow. yeah.  fixed it sort of.
godsavant
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:01:10 AM »

Is there part of a thread I'm not seeing? Undecided
godsavant
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »

Undecided
Undecided
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »

Undecided
Devlin
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:41:13 AM »

Undecided
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »

This again.  Roll Eyes
godsavant
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »

This again.  Roll Eyes
Undecided
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »

Are you doing a serve or do you need to know?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
godsavant
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »

Are you doing a serve or do you need to know?

I am seriously bewildered...I stumbled onto this thread that had a bunch of quotes in the first post, despite it being the first post. I don't know if the quotes were from another thread or if a bunch of posts got deleted, but there doesn't seem to be a clear question or discussion topic for this thread... Concerned
increpare
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

I am seriously bewildered...I stumbled onto this thread that had a bunch of quotes in the first post, despite it being the first post. I don't know if the quotes were from another thread or if a bunch of posts got deleted, but there doesn't seem to be a clear question or discussion topic for this thread... Concerned

The quotes have links at the top to the threads where they were posted. 

Here's the deal:

1: I wanted to talk about one particular feature of cave story's graphical makeup
2: I sure as fuck didn't want to stink up the Verge thread any more than it already is with cave story chitchat
3: I didn't want to create a cave-story thread; so I decided to generalize the context to looking at any particularly characteristic aspects of any platform games. 

Apologies if this wasn't clear.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 02:51:30 PM »

I wonder sometimes if the popularity of floating islands comes from platformers. I occasionally see the concept used in tv, movies, books, etc. and I can't help but wonder if it was all the inexplicably gravity-defying platforms from video games that inspired it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:36:05 PM by Shoo » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »

I wonder sometimes if the popularity of floating islands comes from platformers. I occasionally see the concept used in tv, movies, books, etc. and I can't help but wonder if it was all the inexplicably gravity-defining platforms from video games that inspired it.
You're probably right.

Another thing I wonder about is the prevalence of bottomless pits in 3D games. If it weren't for 2D platformers, I think a lot of those bottomless pits would be filled with something sensible like lava or spikes.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

I wonder why we don't see people implement lots of different game genres within a platformer perspective.

Platform RTS
Platform MuMORPuGer (Maple Story is the only one I've heard of)
Grand Theft Platform (sandboxy real-world game)
Platform Shmup (You are forced to keep running in one direction, basically)
Platform Sims (or Sim City or any other sim game... you could argue that Sim Tower vaguely fits this)
Platform survival sim
Platform roguelike (I wonder how you would jump given a turn-based environment...)
and so on...

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »

Platform roguelike (I wonder how you would jump given a turn-based environment...)
Well, hello there!
increpare
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »

Eh?

Platform Sims (or Sim City or any other sim game... you could argue that Sim Tower vaguely fits this)
Also creatures.

Either spelunky or roguelike megaman might satisfy this description, depending on one's interpretation.

As for floating islands, the first floating island I remember coming across was sonic 3's.  What are the other, earlier, ones?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 10:36:34 PM »

Gunstar Heroes?

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »

As for floating islands, the first floating island I remember coming across was sonic 3's.  What are the other, earlier, ones?

Wikipedia has this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_island_(fiction)

It says The Odyssey was the first to hint at a floating island, but the first definitive use of the concept was in Gulliver's Travels. What's interesting about the article, however, is that the majority of examples it lists are from modern entertainment - namely games. The first few examples it gives are separated by centuries, while uses of the idea become more condensed around the time of video games.

Another thing I wonder about is the prevalence of bottomless pits in 3D games. If it weren't for 2D platformers, I think a lot of those bottomless pits would be filled with something sensible like lava or spikes.

That's another interesting concept that I think may have gained more recent popularity because of it's use as a game mechanic. I looked 'bottomless pit' up on wikipedia also, but the only real mention of it before video games was the biblical 'Abyss' which meant a hole straight to hell or the underworld. That's not something that's really been used much in literature or entertainment much except in video games.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 01:17:57 AM »

Wikipedia has this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_island_(fiction)

It says The Odyssey was the first to hint at a floating island, but the first definitive use of the concept was in Gulliver's Travels. What's interesting about the article, however, is that the majority of examples it lists are from modern entertainment - namely games. The first few examples it gives are separated by centuries, while uses of the idea become more condensed around the time of video games.

That's another interesting concept that I think may have gained more recent popularity because of it's use as a game mechanic. I looked 'bottomless pit' up on wikipedia also, but the only real mention of it before video games was the biblical 'Abyss' which meant a hole straight to hell or the underworld. That's not something that's really been used much in literature or entertainment much except in video games.
I would take this with a grain of salt. Remember that Wikipedia is edited by nerds and pretty much every 'In Popular Culture' section features a lot of references to videogames, anime and Firefly.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic