Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411548 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 05:41:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhalliQuit
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: iQuit  (Read 4360 times)
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »

sorry for the slow reply, my laptop and internet were totally out of my mind during the last weekend, and today I had to solve few problems with linux and my wireless connection.

Anyway, it's very funny how somebody that doesn't know me at all, doesn't know anything about my life and especially doesn't know anything about my plans is judging me... using such great points too!  Smiley
I'd like to keep the flame going and comment every single point, but I'm not a kid any more and I have a lot of work to do, so I'm gonna pass this time (joking, I have to sit on my chair and stare at the screen hoping something will happen sooner or later... Grin).

Regarding the waste of MBs, I've clearly written I made this app just for fun and for testing the QT SDK on Windows, so I really don't get why somebody could get offended by the fact I'm wasting 3 Mb (actually, it's 4 Wink), especially cause I'm wasting the space on my server.
What to say... people should learn how to chill out and take life easy, now and then at least Smiley

See you online, hopefully with some news about a real game next time  Wink

Davide "m3xican" Coppola - Vindicta Games

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »

Good luck countryman! (and from what I know, fellow citizen too)

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 03:39:57 PM »

thanks Ciro  Wink

Davide "m3xican" Coppola - Vindicta Games

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »

Bonne chance!

I always hope that when people quit their job to go indie, it's a calculated risk. For me, the numbers just don't add up, so I will respectfully keep my full-time employment in the industry.  Gentleman

mirosurabu
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »

Pixel doesn't need to quit his job to make games. And that guy is from Japan. Same with Kenta Cho (ABA Games). As you know, Japan is same place that brought us the term "karoshi" or death from overwork. I mean, you oughta know how many long hours people work over there.

I never understood this whole quit your job to "go indie" and make games thing. Are people for real when they say this? It always sounds like an excuse to just sit home and do nothing. It's a pretty dumb idea to get rid of the thing paying your expenses. And even if you do make games, making money off of them is a crapshoot no matter who you are (even if you're a mainstream games developer, nevermind a self proclaimed "indie" one).

I don't read these forums as much as I did one year ago. And I post even less. But I did notice that your posts tend to be negative. (for whatever reason)

I'm full-time indie game developer and I earn around $3'000 - $5'000 a month just by making flash games that even don't get popular. This might not be a lot for US but it might be an OK replacement for a full-time 180h/month job that earns you around $7'000. There are certainly benefits even in countries like US. Self-discipline, being your own boss and being able to organize your time whichever way you like. In some cases - passive income.

For me this is very good because the pay is 8x average monthly wage in my country. Yes, that's true.

Therefore, anyone who says it's impossible to earn money by starting your own mini Internet business is either lazy or frustrated or just the guy with arguments.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:37 AM »

I should mention that leaving a day job is silly unless that job is in the game industry.

I was i quit.

jwk5
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »

I quit my job to go indie. Then I quit going indie to go amateur. I quit amateur to go hobbyist, which I also quit. Now I am just a prostitute with a NintendoDS. Got $50, or maybe a copy of Advance Wars?

Anyways, make sure you got a backup plan in case this doesn't work out how you want it to. It is good to be brave in life and jump into adventures with both feet, it keeps life exciting, but you have to be prepared for worst when making that climb for the best. You don't want to be the guy jumping out of the plane and then realizing halfway down you forgot your parachute.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:23:19 PM by jwk5 » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »

Anyways, make sure you got a backup plan in case this doesn't work out how you want it to. It is good to be brave in life and jump into adventures with both feet, it keeps life exciting, but you have to be prepared for worst when making that climb for the best. You don't want to be the guy jumping out of the plane and then realizing halfway down you forgot your parachute.

Yep that's the advice to people who want to work IN the game industry.  Well, hello there!
Indie is more safe, you have not fake sense of security when you enter it.  Coffee

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic