Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411541 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 02:41:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDragondot! The (only?) action RPG with a circle for a protagonist
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dragondot! The (only?) action RPG with a circle for a protagonist  (Read 4267 times)
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »

I got a little ambitious this week, resulting in me making my upload deadline by a matter of seconds (and not giving the game a proper writeup until now). Dragondot is my take on the action-rpg/action-adventure genre, inspired by the likes of Zelda and Crystalis. (And by not being able to justify shelling out fifteen bucks for Pokemon Rumble, but I digress.) I've learned a lot from the making of this game (such as "don't try writing an action RPG in a week", and how to make circles adorable), but I think I'm going to aim for something a bit simpler next week. Preferably not involving circles, as I'm quite sick of them after yesterday's panicked 7-hour coding spree.

Anyway. Go play Dragondot!

Comments and feedback would be much appreciated.  Grin

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »

playthrough

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »

Hey this was really fun! I love how the game had and used z-depth quite well, and it was great fun tricking enemies into attacking eachother Hand Clap

NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:06:48 PM »

playthrough

Awesome awesome. In my test playthroughs, I usually went after the worg boss first, so I didn't realize it was possible to just tank him at level 10. CheesyHand Thumbs Up Right For each boss, I made sure that there is a strategy that lets you avoid taking any damage. Pity about that one kobold, too - you were so close to a full-survival run.

Hey this was really fun! I love how the game had and used z-depth quite well, and it was great fun tricking enemies into attacking eachother Hand Clap
Yeah - ever since I discovered it in Wind Waker I've been a big fan of enemies that are able to hurt each other, in games where it's relevant. This is, in fact, the sole reason there are two goblins in the giant's room.

...Come to think of it, it would've been a rather dastardly trick to put a kobold in that room.  Evil

Eraser
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »

Wow this game was great. I ended up killing the kobolds on purpose though, in hopes of health Tongue
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »

I was listening to music when I started this, now I have no ear drums, and it didn't have a mute button Sad

I really like it, looks great and plays well.

edit: NMcCoy, I love your avatar.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:48:44 AM by mark » Logged

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:19:46 AM »

Apologies for a lack of mute this time, but I was ridiculously crunched for time at the end (through no one's fault but my own) and it was literally a decision between the features of "possible to mute game" and "possible to beat game".

TheDustin
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »

This is pretty neat, I'd love to see you expand on this idea. If you ever decide to make a Zelda-like you'll already have solid battle mechanics going.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »

Oh, wow; this is awesome. I started on

once, but the player movement in that doesn't feel nearly as smooth as in your game. After studying your game, I discovered that it's in big part because of that tiny wavy motion the characters in your game have! That's genius! The fact that everything else in the game is bouncy or wavy really helped in making the whole game feel smooth overall. Great attention to detail! I am super impressed. Gentleman

EDIT: And the audio is adorable! What'd you make it with?

EDIT: Gah most of your games are awesome! You have a new fanboy.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:44:21 PM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »

Wow, that looks like a surprisingly fun beat-em-up. I'd like to see how it is with two players (local for simplicity's sake). Another good example of using bits of animation and polish here and there to make a bunch of circles look impressive.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »

This is a totally solid way to spend thirty minutes. Props!  Gentleman
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »

Hah, I just discovered that you can hurt the weaker monsters by falling on them hard enough!

Awesome attention to detail. Hand ClapCheesy

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Curseman
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »

Hey, this is fun!

Simple, but fun.
lem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »

I like the game. I just don't think I'm going to finish it; I'm simply not good enough, and the health economy you've got in here is really tight. Since learning the behavior of the enemies is kind of draining, it's hard to keep up above a perpetual 1 hp once you've already killed all the kobolds and are up against tougher enemies you haven't dealt with yet, like the ghosts. I keep dying at like level 6, and it's too much to work all the way back up there again. I guess I just suck at it a LOT. Either that, or you need a way to get more health.

Curseman
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »

You get full healing when you level up, and 90% of the enemies' patterns involve making a beeline for your character and attacking directly in close range.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »

It's an amusing diversion, but I've never really liked action games in which it's impossible not to take hits. I guess being a dragon doesn't lend itself to chickenshit out of enemies' attacks, but that's just more my style. Tongue

Still, it's pretty awesome. A bunch of circles, whodathunk it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »

If you time your attacks and flight right you can get through most of the enemies without getting hit. The exception probably being the wizard.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »

Wizard's fully dodgable too. Put him off until you have flight. Then fly before the fireball goes off to avoid it and run in or a swipe. Back out, start flying again, lather rinse repeat.

The warg is probably hardest to do no-damage, considering that it's so heavy, and attacks quickly.
lem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:05 AM »

You get full healing when you level up, and 90% of the enemies' patterns involve making a beeline for your character and attacking directly in close range.

My problem is dealing with the other 10% when you have only one health point and have killed everything else you can hope to take on without room for error. If you can't level up without dying, you can't heal.

Maybe savepoints?

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:04 PM »

Here's my general strat for those who have trouble:

Against...
  • Most enemies: circle 'round them to gather them all in one clump, face them, and spam the attack key.
  • Ghosts: Play baseball. Don't move around; let them move towards you one at a time, and strike when the time is right.
  • Wizard: Fly in a random area away from him until he stops in place, which is your cue to sneak in a few hits while he's busy casting a futile fireball. Rinse, repeat as needed.
  • Giant: Fly low over him, then if he stops, hit him from the back a few times and run like hell. Repeat.
  • Dire Worg: At a high level and with a hefty health supply, just spam him with attacks.
If all else fails, = levels you up, backspace kills all the enemies in the current cell.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:39:32 PM by Skofo » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic