Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411602 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 11:52:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Your first programming language
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Your first programming language  (Read 30847 times)
mirosurabu
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »

I kinda miss my QuickBasic games I made years ago. Sad They were saved on those big floppy disks, so even if I had them now, I wouldn't know how to copy them to my PC.

I'm also going to dig for some of my Delphi games.. Nostalgia rush. Perhaps this needs a new thread?
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »

Aw. Smiley

Mine was C64 BASIC!

Oh yeah... Mine was also C64 Basic.

Do you remember this:
Code:
POKE 53280,0
POKE 53281,15
?

:-)

My first language was C64 BASIC too, but I don't remember those POKEs? Anyway, I went on to GWBASIC on my first 8088 Ericsson PC, then QuickBasic, then Borland Pascal, from which I graduated to 8088 and 80386 assembler, then Delphi, and then C++ and Java, after which I for the first time used pure C (yes, after C++ and Java D:), Visual BASIC (yuck!) and lastly Ruby and SQL. HTML and XML aren't programming languages so they doesn't fit here Smiley

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

VB -> AS2 -> AS3 -> C++/Java -> GML

I make no sense.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »

-> GML
Shocked

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
rogerlevy
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »

How's my path?  I eschewed C and PASCAL and instead got into assembly languages.

Logo on Apple ||e -> LogoWriter on DOS -> QBASIC 4.5 -> ActionScript -> TI-Basic -> Z80 -> 65816 -> 6502 -> ARM -> x86 -> PowerPC

Now I'm using Forth.  And a bunch of other languages for work, but those don't count.  Except JavaScript, that one is okayyyy....  :D
pgil
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »

I think my first language was QBasic. I could only make text adventures.. except they were more like pick a number and choose your own adventure. I also remember when I first learned how to display graphics. But I only knew how to load full-screen images from a floppy disk... which took about 10 seconds.

A few years later I learned the scripting language in AGS, and I could actually do stuff.

Then I learned GML... and then some visual basic in college. I'm on my way to becoming a REAL pro! Beer!
rogerlevy
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »

I remember once using a text-adventure making program to try to recreate the entire NCC-1701D in text, with real time events and a story involving the Borg or something.
billyfish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »

C++ for me Smiley
Took a class on it in middle school, and
got interested in making games after that xD

Always looking for someone to collab with in making iPhone games
Check out my iPhone game ^^ http://bit.ly/CoFPY and my blog http://justaprototype.com/
internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »

+1 for Hypertalk
Hypercard has been erased from the collective memory, I don't think anybody remembers how powerful it was.

Holy crap... I was going to say C++ til I saw this post.  I remember spending a whole lot of time on my Performa 600 writing stacks with a friend... this was definitely my intro, not too long before Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis became my first real gaming obsession.

I actually found that machine a couple years back and scrounged up some ADB mice and keyboards, plus an adapter to plug it into a VGA monitor... only to have to leave all but the hard drive behind when I evacuated Florida.  Hopefully I can find something to run it on again; OS 6 felt impressively responsive on that old 25MHz machine.

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »

Applesoft BASIC.  My first game was a silly little sorta-Pong-like game where you had three lasers on each side, you and a friend sat next to each other at the keyboard and tried to use the lasers to propel the ball over onto the other side.  Slam-dunk! *zorch*

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »

Pascal (Borland Turbo Pascal compiler)
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2009, 01:03:59 AM »

QBasic and not really a language but ZZT-OOP

Follow The Flying Thing, my current project.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24421.0
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2009, 11:57:25 PM »

and not really a language but ZZT-OOP

There's another fella. Coffee
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »

and not really a language but ZZT-OOP

There's another fella. Coffee

To be honest it's probably one of the languages I enjoyed working with most from a work<->result ratio standpoint.

Follow The Flying Thing, my current project.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24421.0
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2009, 07:42:40 AM »

Atari 800 Basic and Logo (if you want to call that a programming language)

genericuser
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »

QBASIC here, and that is why I still confuse the = sign with ==.

I did make a pretty cool screensaver with it, though; I think it recreated TV static...in about 11 lines.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:53 PM »

Seeing as the number of finished indie games that use GML exceeds the number that use pretty much any other language, I don't think it's that weird to go from AS3 and C++ to GML.

My own progression is:

QBASIC -> C -> Hamsterspeak -> GML -> AS3

I also learned Apple Hypercard in high school (which was the thing Myst was created in), Java in college, and assembly and Visual Basic through an NRI training course but never actually used any of those to make games, the above names only the languages I've made games in.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:23:11 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

ChevyRay
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »

Apple Hypercard was the first language I ever learned as well. I learned it at a very young age and made several games that only ever spread as far as the computer lab at my school.

Now I'm using GML, and will be moving to AS3 and Java soon.
pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »

Turbo Pascal -> Lingo -> Action Script -> GML

And I want to learn C# with XNA soon.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »

Toss up between ZZT-OOP and QBASIC. I don't honestly know which one was first.

To be honest [ZZT-OOP is] probably one of the languages I enjoyed working with most from a work<->result ratio standpoint.

This is definitely true for me as well. Also, as I have only recently learned, the object model was actually very powerful.

oh sorry, have to add progression apparently
MegaZeux's language, whatever it was --> DarkBasic --> C++ --> C --> Perl --> Python --> PHP --> Java (a little J2ME)

Right now I am almost exclusively using Python, but I write a tiny bit of C++ or C once in awhile.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:15:29 AM by nihilocrat » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic