Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:30:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)iPhone development: what's the first thing?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iPhone development: what's the first thing?  (Read 3507 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »

A bit of a broad question, but I'm looking into iPhone development and I don't know where to start.

So let's start with...

Is it possible to get the SDK running on a Windows machine?
From what I understand, Xcode and Objective C are Mac-specific.  Is there any way to get it running on a Windows machine?  Or are there any sort of alternatives?  Would I end up having to emulate the Mac OS?

Are there any good resources of where to start?
For something like this, a Google search just gives too much.  What's a good place for learning/reference?  I've got some experience with C and C++, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad a transition... but I still have this feeling that I'm in over my head.

Any good advice?
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:54:21 PM »

well xcode is mac only, but any modern version of GCC has obj-c support and the openstep project has quite a few of the basic nextstep api's as multiplatform libraries. Though I have no idea if that bears any relevance on iphone dev.

Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:46:09 PM »

My advice: Get a Mac. Smiley Everything is set up to be done on one, the SDK is Mac specific, etc. and it's all rather integrated.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »

I think iPhone development is pretty neat too, but ew, don't buy a Mac, that would be terrible.  I think I've heard that you can dual boot OSX on a PC, so I'd just do that.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »

Macs are the best.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:55 PM »

Yes, except they're too expensive.

Can't you do it with VMware?

Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:13:01 AM »

Running OSx on a x86 depend a lot on your hardware. Some people have no problems, but on my case the OS didn't find any of my notebook's network devices, and after rebooting I found out it messed out the hd's partition table.

I've tried the virtualization route, but it didn't work as well, but it does work for some other people. You can find out more at:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:33 AM »

You need to at least have a PC that can boot OSX. Get the free SDK, and if you're serious about it, get the paid iphone developer subscription. Then start by trying to get some example code compiled and running on a real phone.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »

Running OSx on a x86 depend a lot on your hardware. Some people have no problems, but on my case the OS didn't find any of my notebook's network devices, and after rebooting I found out it messed out the hd's partition table.

I've tried the virtualization route, but it didn't work as well, but it does work for some other people. You can find out more at:

Thanks, that looks like a great place to start!
...Although I've never attempted any sort of dual-booting before.  Is this recommended over VMware?

You need to at least have a PC that can boot OSX. Get the free SDK, and if you're serious about it, get the paid iphone developer subscription. Then start by trying to get some example code compiled and running on a real phone.

Hm, I somehow missed the fact that there was a free SDK in addition to the paid ones.  It looks like the free one can only run programs virtually, and can't put 'em on an actual iPhone...?  But nonetheless a good idea to do first.
Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »

Thanks, that looks like a great place to start!
...Although I've never attempted any sort of dual-booting before.  Is this recommended over VMware?

Only if you're willing to deal with the problems that may (and probably will) arise. For me, OS/X screwed the partition table, so I had to use an Ubuntu live CD to boot and correct it manually.

I strongly suggest you try virtualization first. If it doesn't work and you really -really- need to, you can try a native instalation. Just remember that OS/X erases the partition it's installed on.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:39 PM »

Option 3: Get a used Mac mini

If you don't want to buy new hardware, though, I suggest trying virtualization, and failing that, dual-boot.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »

Option 3: Get a used Mac mini

If you don't want to buy new hardware, though, I suggest trying virtualization, and failing that, dual-boot.

I didn't know such a (relatively) cheap and easy alternative existed. That's is actually pretty awesome. I don't really want to start with iPhone development anytime soon (I sort of missed that train anyway) but I always wanted to have a Mac (a real, actual Mac, not some Hacintosh). And with it being so small it won't take away much space either.
DanDanger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:21:04 AM »

Here is what we do here at our company (www.cobramobile.com)

We develop our game code on the PC using an opengles1.1 driver (Imagination Technologies)
Our code base compiles on the pc and on the mac. This makes it easy for us to quickly develop stuff on our lovely PCs without having to faff around with objective-c or the stinky mac OS.

Gentleman

Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »

I thought about starting a new thread, but I think I`ll hijack this, instead =)

The short story is that I`ve managed to install OS/X 10.5.6 and the latest iPhone SDK, with audio and wireless network support, on my Acer notebook. Keyboard support is klunky (I use an ABNT2 keyboard that it insists to detect as ANSI), and I had a single freeze, ironically while I was writing this post, but so far it`s fine.

Oh, and performance-wise, it's fine, too.

Random tips/comments:

- If you`ve got an Intel-based notebook, you`re kinda lucky. People tend to get better results with those. My notebook is an Intel Core2Duo with a GMAX3100 video card...
- ...but there are no working drivers for its integrated wireless card, an Intel 3945. I had to buy a D-link GMA110 USB wifi dongle.
- The InsanelyMac forums are incredibly useful and should be your starting point. There are detailed guides for installing and updating OS/X, how to fix audio and which wifi dongles work.
- It worked for me, but after three unsuccessful attempts, so be warned: a bad install may bork your machine. On my case, it messed the hard drive`s partition table -and- windows` boot.ini file. Keep an Ubuntu live CD handy. Do NOT try this if you think you can`t fix this kind of problem.

If you want, I may write a tutorial, but everything you'd need already is at the InsanelyMac forums.

Good luck!
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »

Hm, I somehow missed the fact that there was a free SDK in addition to the paid ones.  It looks like the free one can only run programs virtually, and can't put 'em on an actual iPhone...?  But nonetheless a good idea to do first.
There is no difference between the "free SDK" and the "paid" one. The developer tools are exactly the same regardless of whether you have paid. The only difference is that if you pay to be a registered developer, then you are given a key to sign binaries so that they can be loaded onto the iPhone. As you say, if you are using the free tools then you can only run programs in the simulator.

The only other difference I'm aware of is you do not have access to the 3.0 beta materials unless you upgrade to a pay account.

It is incidentally possible to compile Objective-C on linux or windows using gcc or mingw, but this will be of little use to you without the libraries.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »

Isn't it easy to create iPhone stuff with Unity? Which has a Windows version now?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »

Isn't it easy to create iPhone stuff with Unity? Which has a Windows version now?

Which can't do iPhone stuff.

Requirements

In order to license and use Unity iPhone Publishing, developers must meet the following requirements:

* You must own Unity 2.x (Indie or Pro)
    * You must be an approved Apple Developer for the iPhone and install the iPhone SDK (requires Intel-based Mac running OSX 10.5.4 or later)

For more information about becoming an approved Apple Developer for the iPhone please visit the following web site: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 04:27:29 AM »

Here is what we do here at our company (www.cobramobile.com)

We develop our game code on the PC using an opengles1.1 driver (Imagination Technologies)
Our code base compiles on the pc and on the mac. This makes it easy for us to quickly develop stuff on our lovely PCs without having to faff around with objective-c or the stinky mac OS.

Gentleman

that's quite a good thing, i think i'll do the same in the (possibly near?) future

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:47 PM »

This sounds like the biggest headache ever...

I would say if you have the  Hand Money Right just get an Intel Mac.  The Mac mini is a good place to start, or consider buying a refurbished one, and getting apple care for it.  If you know someone who is in college, see if they will let you use their student ID to get a discount.

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic