Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 04:39:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign-
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: -  (Read 3190 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »

I like the idea of giving most exp for sidequests and storyline; Deus Ex does this and it works well for me.

I like timing elements in combat ala the mario rpg/superstar saga/paper mario games, but they probably don't fit all games.

I think a turn based battle (especially without timing elements) is like a puzzle -- it can be fun to solve once, but you should not ask me to solve the same one twice.  If you must have me face similar enemies twice, randomly changing the puzzle can help keep it interesting -- for example new constraints on the battle (FFTA style?), new terrain, etc.

I don't like being asked to make long term strategic decisions (like character class and skills) without having any way to know the trade-offs and without any way to alter the decision later.  (Plot decisions on the other hand I'm okay with being like this.)

I don't like the way the potential for grinding can remove any sense of pride or accountability in one's own performance -- when whether you win or lose can be put down to just whether you've spent enough time grinding or not.
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »

+ Grandia/Tales of...games system where the enemies can be seen and avoided before fighting them.

win/win.

Toucantastic.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »

+ Grandia/Tales of...games system where the enemies can be seen and avoided before fighting them.

win/win.

winner

Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 05:27:36 AM »

Bwahaha, LoD was pretty cool in this regard. Regardless, the battle moved much too slow for my tastes. Would have been better with sped up, real-time combat of this same concept, imho.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic