Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 08:16:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Support Characters
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Support Characters  (Read 122550 times)
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2010, 08:50:48 PM »

There we go!
Anyway, its just a rough draft, since I'm new to pixel art.

Edit:

new version. bolder shading.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:07:53 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2010, 11:52:07 PM »

It looks like you used the an anti-aliased tool for the outlines instead of the pencil tool. The outlines should be crisp and black, without any gray.

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2010, 05:33:31 AM »

Removed the anti-aliasing. I think the outline's a little messy right now. I'll fix it later.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2010, 09:25:11 AM »

I would make sure his proportions are the same as those of other characters. Right now, he's incredibly tall and has a tiny head.

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2010, 01:19:28 PM »

I've got a potential sprite for Glumbuster, but I'd like to see where you go with yours, Goodbye. Wink
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »

I made his body smaller. I'd like to see Karuvitomsk's sprite.

Edit:

I think he had darker clothes on in the game.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:08:19 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »

herp derp
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2010, 07:04:51 PM »

Hmm...I think I like his better. I forgot that he actually had skin color...and hair.    Shrug

Edit:
I just had the awesomest idea for a support character! He's an infamous, murderous, and downright evil guy...the Spelunky shopkeeper.

This is a rough idea of what he'll do:
He appears with a number of items with $ signs above them. He'll start to attack anyone who takes an item and won't stop attacking until the person is dead or he himself is killed. His gun deals massive damage.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:14:55 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »

That's not a bad idea. Like an item spawn, but booby-trapped.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »

I don't see how that idea is practical. No one would ever pick up the items except by accident (or the players are new).

Also, you can't normally attack support characters, so that's inconsistent.

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2010, 05:24:43 AM »

It was just a first idea for him. Maybe he could just go shooting around from t start or something and deal massive damage.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »

The only way I can see him working is if he spawned, fired off a shot (or short salvo) then dissappeared. The problem with basing his damage in IB on his lethality in Spelunky is that it would fundamentally affect the match if someone was hit. I don't think having players feel they "lost because of the ****ing shopkeeper" would promote a positive experience of the game  Roll Eyes
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:09 AM »

It would certainly give them a feeling of the spelunky experience Cheesy
Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »

How about have random items spawn around the stage, then if someone picks them up the shopkeeper runs toward them shooting? You could use it to your advantage if you lead him in front of other players

Check out my current game project:
Mine to the sky
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2010, 08:08:23 AM »

How about not having him hostile? Basically have him spawn with a load of items around him, so he's like a multiple-item support? Add a little animation to appear to buy the items and he goes away after a while. I think that'd be a lot better.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »

That's a much better idea than having him running wild. Should be pretty simple on the animation front aswell.
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »

How about not having him hostile? Basically have him spawn with a load of items around him, so he's like a multiple-item support? Add a little animation to appear to buy the items and he goes away after a while. I think that'd be a lot better.
I guess that sounds pretty good, even though I still would've LOVED to see him taking people out with his shotgun.  Evil
Nonetheless, it would definitely be unfair that way so yeah, this is a good idea.

On another note, I updated my Glumbuster sprite... and I hate it. I'd rather see Karuvitomsk's in the game. Nonetheless, I might as well post it...

...see what I mean by "I HATE IT"? It's just too messy, plus I don't know exactly what Glumbuster is wearing. Is that a rain poncho or something? *sigh*
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »

Judging by the opening sequence, probably, Goodbye. And don't get all disappointed, now, bud! You're new at this! Even then, you didn't use banding in your sprites, which is great for a first timer, really, and the pillowing actually looks kinda neat the way you used it. The shading on the hat is especially nice. You're lucky -- I started out recoloring SNES sprites!

Soul, assuming Glum is a-go, do we really need anything more than maybe a floating idle animation? I mean, I could make it flap and junk but really he doesn't do much else himself.

I'm working on Iwanaga a little, too.
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »

Wow, that means a lot to me. Thanks Smiley
Lamppost
Level 0

All is practice.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2010, 11:14:25 PM »

Been a while since I contributed anything here, but I've been reading these threads and I think I have an idea how to make the Spelunky shopkeeper work as both offensive and item-supply. He spawns with items that you can take, but if you attack the shopkeeper (accidentally or not), that's when he goes shotgun-berserk, running after whoever attacked him until that character's dead or until he runs himself off the bottom of the stage. Or possibly if you take more than one item (have him spawn with one item per active player, say) - greediness gets punished severely.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic