Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 05:38:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 426021 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #940 on: August 07, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »

So they have to hold a special meeting to determining the process by which to hold a special meeting?

What does the IGDA do, exactly?
Oddbob
« Reply #941 on: August 07, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »

Not hold special meetings as a rule?  :D
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #942 on: August 07, 2009, 11:58:53 AM »

I also don't necessarily think we should be criminalizing Tom Buscalgia for defending Tim early on. If what we know about Tim is true, he could have easily had Buscalgia convinced that he was a decent and prolific indie developer. It's also possible that Tom is on Tim's side for this whole thing, taking money to represent him or whatever. But we can't jump to conclusions, and tearing him apart is not helping the cause in the long run.

In fact I have my own sneaking suspicion that the craziness surrounding Tim may help him weasel out of this in the end and call fowl play because of all the "slander".

I don't want to see him resign though. I want to see him shamefully kicked out of the organization.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: August 07, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »

I am ok with criminalizing Tom because of his attitude toward the development community at large for the first full month after the story broke.  What began as just childish insults and dick jokes soon grew to full-fledged condescension and spite for ALL developers, including at one point issuing an ultimatum for full disclosure of industry experience (of which, of course, he has none) in order to prove that the reasonable explanations of Langdell's actions were not the "ranting" of "teenagers".

He is, at best, very very bad with people, and definitely does not deserve to be representing actual game developers in any way.  At worst he is a douchebag who is using the IGDA the same way as Langdell, to legitimize his otherwise questionable career with game developers who don't know any better.

</sort of offtopic>

cup full of magic charisma
Oddbob
« Reply #944 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »

I don't think Tim's the right personality type to resign, so I wouldn't fret about that.

After all, you can't -just- drop a 30 year fiction.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: August 07, 2009, 12:42:07 PM »

now that it's actually a possibility that the IGDA might be going through the motions of kicking him off the board it still does little to restore my faith in their organization. I have little tolerance for this sort of quasi-apathetic response to one of their leaders obviously shitting all over everyone.

The only reason i haven't cancelled my membership is because I want to have a vote in this matter. Once that's over i'll cancel my IGDA membership with a detailed and glorious letter. I've been close to jumping the gun though, everytime I see them drag their feet I just want to show them a piece of my mind with the only real consequence i can give them.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: August 07, 2009, 12:50:19 PM »

I think the main point of regret on their part is the months of inaction...I realize they have to be careful about what they do for both legal and reputation reasons, but at this point it's fairly clear that if certain people weren't brave enough to carry the torch for this thing (Corvus, Derek, etc), the board would not have addressed the scenario at all.  It's taken two straight months of third party investigation to force the board to take any action at all.

I'm kind of in the same situation with a gym I used to attend.  We are in the middle of a contract dispute, and the only thing that prompts any action from them at all is complaints to major agencies that can regulate or enforce their behavior.  Only after reporting them to the local newspaper tipline did I even get a copy of the contract in question.

The IGDA reminds me of my scammy gym a lot.  Doing the right thing, eventually, after the independent media and your membership have forced your hand, isn't really the right thing.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 07, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »

If there was any gain by kicking Tim Langdell, they would have done that within an eyeblink. By that I mean any gain meaningful to the board members, not IGDA members.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: August 07, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »

The only reason i haven't cancelled my membership is because I want to have a vote in this matter. Once that's over i'll cancel my IGDA membership with a detailed and glorious letter. I've been close to jumping the gun though, everytime I see them drag their feet I just want to show them a piece of my mind with the only real consequence i can give them.

I'm so glad I'm not a member. I never could see what the benefits were supposed to be, and now I've gotten a huge helping of evidence on how it is severely messed up.
 My Word!

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #949 on: August 07, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »

I sent the IGDA an email saying I'm not gonna become a member.

It's the next best thing to revoking your membership as far as I can see.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: August 07, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »

I sent the IGDA an email saying I'm not gonna become a member.

It's the next best thing to revoking your membership as far as I can see.

Hmm...

I should do this!

But I really don't care enough about the IGDA to bother. Sad

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: August 07, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »

I don't care about the IGDA either, really.  But I do want Langdell out because I'm sure to certain folk it looks like a credible and honorable affiliation.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: August 07, 2009, 06:22:38 PM »

I like IGDA, I think there is a lot of good to be had from an organization such as it, AT THE VERY LEAST, I have gotten 'free' beer and talks from it. I consider it worth the 60 bucks I've kicked into it.

BUT, this shit is straight killin' that buzz, I didn't know that people were so down on IGDA, I guess people don't really understand the gravity of what is being undertaken.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: August 07, 2009, 11:01:19 PM »

There are plenty of ways to get free beer without supporting a mysterious organization.

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: August 08, 2009, 05:06:10 AM »

There are plenty of ways to get free beer without supporting a mysterious organization.

Wait...

...are you offering me free beer??

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: August 08, 2009, 05:27:11 AM »

Wait...

...are you offering me free beer??

I totally am.  Beer!

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: August 08, 2009, 06:20:26 AM »

I totally am.  Beer!

Nice High-5   Beer! Hand ClapGrin

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #957 on: August 08, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not a member. I never could see what the benefits were supposed to be, and now I've gotten a huge helping of evidence on how it is severely messed up.
 My Word!

totally agree. In all honesty the only reason i'm a member is because it came free with my GDC pass. You know shit's gone south when people feel like they have to make excuses for even being affiliated with it...

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #958 on: August 08, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »

http://twitter.com/SimonParkin/status/3194363053

Oddbob
« Reply #959 on: August 08, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »

No surprises, but still, good luck to him there.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic