Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:34:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 149806 times)
Bandages
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »

Tsutomu Nihei has my heart in a vice grip and won't let go. Hmmm, these are all kind of big, so maybe if that's annoying I can spoiler them?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:50:57 AM by Castle » Logged
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2011, 01:21:30 AM »

you could always just throw a "width=700" inside your img code...
Bandages
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2011, 02:51:31 AM »

h-how  Embarrassed
JeremySpillmann
Level 0

Ryuworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2011, 07:23:13 AM »

LAST PICTURE IS SORTA HEAVY SORRI

A trio, yo. Their colors help keep them separated and also matches with their personalities (and names of course).
Their heads and eyes are big and cute and stuff. The mayor is also pretty cool. Also the secretary. whatshername.

Isn't the weird but kind of good thing about the Powerpuff girls that their colors are actually not resembling their personalities? I'd have associated Blossom with Green, Bubbles with Pink and Buttercup with Blue, just based on how they act.

Swiss student doing Master of Arts in Game Design
Check out Full Color Planet or visit the Portfolio
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2011, 07:23:58 AM »

you could always just throw a "width=717" inside your img code...
Fixed

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »

I don't like that you are just posting images without explaining WHY the character design is good.
And I don't like the fact that you are posting a bunch of shitty character designs as well.
Subjective? Maybe.
But at least nobody has posted Final Fantasy X characters.

Do go into depth and detail WHAT makes good character, because otherwise I just see a bunch of images and suspect people like them "because they were cool".

I wasn't going to bother going into 'depth and detail' just for you and your shitty attitude, but I'm in a good mood this morning and feel like writing my thoughts down anyway.

Indiana Jones- There's so many memorable visual aspects to his design. The fedora is now synonymous with him. The whip and bomber jacket add to a really unique and definitive look. He's recognizable by just his silhouette, a hallmark of great character design. He's one of the few live-action characters I can think of that has a color-scheme: He's dressed entirely in shades of brown.

Optimus Prime- He's really iconic for a robot, and the most immediately recognizable of the transformers. The use of the truck's front design to imply musculature such as pecs and abs for the robot's chest is really clever in my mind.

Stitch- I'm a fan of Chris Sanders' designs in general, but what I like about Stitch specifically is how he both looks strange and familiar at the same time. You almost think he's based off a real animal, until you analyze it and can only conclude he's unique. The flow and curves of the shapes in the design also really work well.

Marceline from Adventure Time - I kind of chose her to represent Adventure Time in general, which has a look that I think is really fun and unique. But I like her design in particular because of two things- she seems inspired by a real person, like the designer knew this jaded punk rock girl who slouched and wore her sleeves just past the wrist. Also, the two bite marks on her neck tell part of her story, and add to her character by almost looking like a tattoo.
knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »

Hand Money Left Angry Hand Money Right
      Hand Pencil

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »

I really wish they'd managed the hair Gabriel had in his concept art:

more like fabio belmont amirite
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »

All of the enemy designs in the Mother series are so quirky.

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »

laserghost: very good! This is the motivation I asked for.
And yeah I have  a shitty attitude. This thread is 70% "cool art direction" or "that anime I like" and only 30% "good character design".

You Castlevania Lords of Shadows fans, please, re-examine the protagonist's design. What story is being told by his outfit? His proportions? What is he wearing and why?

When designing characters, or really designing anything, you MUST not only throw cool looking silhuettes or clothes together, but tell a story with as much as possible. The design should either ask questions for the player to figure out, or answer questions that are raised by other elements of the story. Indiana Jones is a great example of how his character fits well within the story, and by his outfit/look you can already tell what he does for a living when not teaching history at the university. Link follows the same formula. So does Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Also this: http://designreboot.blogspot.com/2011/11/design-primer-askhats-minotaur.html
Very good blog post about what questions to ask yourself when designing characters, how to deconstruct them, and indirectly how to make them more appealing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »

You Castlevania Lords of Shadows fans, please, re-examine the protagonist's design. What story is being told by his outfit? His proportions? What is he wearing and why?
yeah gabriel looks pretty humdrum. not to sound like a dick, but i was honestly suprised to see him posted here.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »

The Deconstruction of Gabriel Belmont
gabriel's outfit has a bunch of shit on it like holy water because he kills things
and there is armor underneath to protect himself!!!
also he has a stubble because he's depressed

he is able to kill everything he is very strong
this is why he has such a small head
and gigantic shoulders
because he has to wail around a infinite-length piece of chain
being infinite, it probably weighs infinity pounds as well
so he needs the muscles for it
as he goes through the game, he gains a gauntlet, boots, etc.
strapped to him despite the sinister ways he acquired them
they represent how he is just a leaf in a wind

a murderer by fate

THE END

(he also has a small head because he is frankly very stupid)

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
leonelc29
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »

i don't really see any problem on Gabriel other than giant shoulder pad, claw-like gauntlet(which i still wonder how he manage to avoid being hurt when he scratch his head and face Undecided), and those weird chain-whip weapon. but still at least he get a full protection(except head. i know, it's stupid.), unlike certain someone.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2011, 01:35:11 AM »

there's nothing blatantly "wrong" with gaby but i wouldn't call him a shining example of good character design in vidyagames.
Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »

Character design, does not always have to be exactly what you expect.

I searched for some good pictures of Bioshock to show off their best character, by showing you the three main character designs you run into during this well executed game.  The obvious characters (strong in their own rights) being the Big Daddy and the Little sister, where the strong contrast of not only visual ques, but audible emotion from both characters really separates their relation to the player and their actions. 

But I wanted to point out the elephant in the room, the room itself.  Bioshock does something that not many designers pay heed too, nay, Irrational themselves squint over every detail of their worlds to bring them to life.  Irrational's titles  don't just spring jump you here, or leave a corpse there, boxes, etc... They meticulously plant every facet to tell as much a story with your surroundings as they do when you hear a Daddy duking it out against a raging splicer. 

The WORLD of Bioshock, is a formidable character design of its own, and its a thing that should not be forgotten ladies and gentlemen.

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »

has anyone linked to the character design blog?
http://characterdesign.blogspot.com/

I nominate everyone who's been interviewed there.

iffi
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »

The WORLD of Bioshock, is a formidable character design of its own, and its a thing that should not be forgotten ladies and gentlemen.
While we're on this topic, might as well mention Mirror's Edge:

The brightness makes the game instantly recognizable and enhances clarity. Can't say much more than that myself since I haven't played Mirror's Edge.
knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »

Everyone should play Mirror's Edge.

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2011, 05:53:07 AM »

Definitely... The world is really beautiful.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »

Everyone should play Mirror's Edge.

I see right through your inclusive guise, you cretin.

You're just an elitist pretending to be inclusive.

What about those poor starving black babies? They won't ever grow up big enough to hold an exbawks controller before they die of AIDS, you ignorant poopface.

And you know it. You smile smugly even now. You are a member of a select few that will ever enjoy Mirror's Edge.

/troll
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic