Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:55:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGenre Mash-Ups
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Genre Mash-Ups  (Read 22291 times)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2009, 07:45:43 AM »

• action RPG wargame
Disgaia? Valkyrie Chronicles?
  • turn based strategy minigames
Advance Wars (sort of)
  • party game fighter
Power Stone
  • turn based strategy visual novel
The next step of PBM strategy games? Could be seriously cool!
  • tactical RPG platformer
Close to Patapon. This would be fun!
  • strategy game fighting
Pirates! sort of had this: you fought the other captain and if you won you won, but at the same time, if the crew's battle went bad you had a more difficult time beating him.
  • interactive fiction FPS
There is a game unde development based on the medieval detective sub-genre that is a FPS game but where you enter commands like a text adventure. Can't remember the name atm, but it looks really promising!
  • roguelike platformer
Wouldn't be very difficult, really, basically only a Roguelike from the side. Probably quite fun, too. Spellunker, anyone?
  • visual novel third person shooter
The old Amiga game where you played a cowboy/sheriff and from a locked perspective brom behind guided your arm and had to gun down baddies that disturbed your town.
  • music game life simulation
Fl0w.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »

Has Henry Hatsworth been mentioned? Block-Puzzle/Platformer is pretty unique.
genericuser
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 07:57:45 AM »

Here's the mashup generator (in Python), if anyone is curious:
Code:
#Genre Mashup Generator

import random #We'll need the random module.

#The heart of the generator:
genreList = ["beat 'em up", "fighter", "platformer", "FPS", "shoot 'em up",
             "third person shooter", "stealth 'em up", "survival horror",
             "dating sim", "graphic adventure", "interactive fiction",
             "visual novel", "action RPG", "RPG", "MMORPG", "roguelike",
             "tactical", "construction simulation", "life simulation",
             "strategy game", "real-time", "strategy", "wargame",
             "flight simulator", "racing game", "space flight simulator",
             "music game", "party", "minigame", "sports"]

def generateGames(games = 1):
    gamesCreated = 0
    while gamesCreated < games:
        print "[list][li]" + genreList[(random.randint(0, len(genreList) - 1))] + " " + genreList[(random.randint(0, len(genreList) - 1))] + "[/li][/list]"
        #the above line picks two random elements from the list, and prints them.
        gamesCreated += 1

#what'll happen when the script is imported
generateGames(int(input("How many combinations do you want to create?")))
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:34:38 AM by genericuser » Logged
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2009, 09:41:49 AM »

Would be better if you used "real-time", "tactical", "strategic" and "wargame" as separate words. Now you exclude quite a few types of games as well as make assumptions of genres.

(Yeah, I know you weren't trying to make a taxonomy of game types Gentleman)

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »

What would be kind of fun is to have a turn-based strategy game with minigame components. They'd be optional, but doing well in them would gain you slight advantages, like extra damage/defense. I recall a game called Gladius that, although turn-based, used a swing meter like the older Tiger Woods games. Can't say if it was any good, though.

Really, I just want to see a wargame that uses an actual game of rock-paper-scissors.
genericuser
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »

Would be better if you used "real-time", "tactical", "strategic" and "wargame" as separate words. Now you exclude quite a few types of games as well as make assumptions of genres.

(Yeah, I know you weren't trying to make a taxonomy of game types Gentleman)

No problem, and besides, it's actually quite easy to fix  Smiley
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »

I just thought up an interesting platform game...

Basically, every level has one or more of two goals: collect all [blank], or reach the goal before [blank] seconds. The catch is... you have to follow a beat! Basically, the background will change colors, between two different colors. During [color 1], you can't move. During [color 2], you can move.  The beat of the background song of every level determines what color, like C1 C1 C1 C2 C2 C1 C1, for instance. So, you are basically moving to the music!

I like this idea, but I say that c1 and c2 have different control sets, and pushing the c1 button for right during c2 would make you go left, this way people wouldn't just hold the button down or mash it, also it makes it more rhythmic.

Light gun/rhythm
It would use a guitar hero like controller, but you point the part with the buttons (arm?) at the screen like a gun. Enemys would walk towards you and you need to keep shooting them by hitting notes. Every note you hit counts as a shot, so you need to keep aiming. You would have plenty of bullets to kill all the enemys, but any missed notes or mis-aimed shots would count against you. If you have great aim, you could afford to miss some notes, and if you play greatly, it could make up for some bad aiming; but in general, you need both skills to pass each level. Harder songs would have more enemys to kill, but still the same general enemy to ammo ratio. Each song could have customized enemys and backgrounds that suit the song. Thats my idea.

I kind of just typed what came to mind, so parts might be repetitive/odd.

Sounds like Elite Beat Agents with a light gun instead of a stylus.

Roguelike platformer
Go take a look at Derek Yu's Spelunky in the Feedback thread, it's almost done and its AMAZING.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »

I want to make a Roguelike Platformer too. I've been writing ideas for it for the last week.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »

Action/Music/and maybe even platformer?

So here's how this would work:

Moving around in the game is just like in any other platformer, arrow keys to move left and right, jump, move on ladders and what not.
When you get within fighting range of an enemy, a guitar hero/rockband type thing comes up on the screen, but transparent so that you can clearly see both the level and the notes.

White and colored circles move down the screen (just like in in guitar hero), and using the qwert keys and spacebar (or down, depending on which hand you wanna use) you play the song. Hitting the note with varying perfection (like in the ddr games) does corresponding amounts of damage.
At the same time, black and colored circles move UP the screen. This is the ENEMY'S song which does damage to you in the same way you do damage to them. Still using the qwert keys and spacebar, you must also play the enemies song. Again, hitting the note with varying perfection blocks corresponding amounts of damage.

As an added bonus, if a note from both yours and the enemy's song is moving along the same bar, playing the note at the exact moment they are together does a double damaging counter attack.

I like this system because, it offers the chance to have some rpg elements, like cave story, but still relies heavily on skill, like cave story.
And it lets you use a few different strategies when fighting. Should I focus on my defense and get in whatever hits I can when I can? Should I focus on offense and rely on my skill to kill him before he kills me? Or should I find a balance between the two?
If done right, the difficulty curve should have players start playing defensively, but as they get better, get more and more aggressive.

Also the reason for the transparent fight song screen is that if you choose, you can just run away.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »

Here's the mashup generator (in Python), if anyone is curious:
Code:
#Genre Mashup Generator

import random #We'll need the random module.

#The heart of the generator:
genreList = ["beat 'em up", "fighter", "platformer", "FPS", "shoot 'em up",
             "third person shooter", "stealth 'em up", "survival horror",
             "dating sim", "graphic adventure", "interactive fiction",
             "visual novel", "action RPG", "RPG", "MMORPG", "roguelike",
             "tactical", "construction simulation", "life simulation",
             "strategy game", "real-time", "strategy", "wargame",
             "flight simulator", "racing game", "space flight simulator",
             "music game", "party", "minigame", "sports"]

def generateGames(games = 1):
    gamesCreated = 0
    while gamesCreated < games:
        print "[list][li]" + genreList[(random.randint(0, len(genreList) - 1))] + " " + genreList[(random.randint(0, len(genreList) - 1))] + "[/li][/list]"
        #the above line picks two random elements from the list, and prints them.
        gamesCreated += 1

#what'll happen when the script is imported
generateGames(int(input("How many combinations do you want to create?")))
That program, if polished, could be something like the VGNG, but instead it would be the... VGGG.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »

I've an idea of a classic arcade/music mixup:

You direct the Space Invaders, going left, left, left, left, right, right, right, etc etc. Stupid way to move, eh? No! By keeping the rhythm their shield remains recharged and impregnable! So don't miss a beat or your ships are open and vulnerable to the defender's fire!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2009, 10:38:32 PM »

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2009, 04:53:57 AM »

Woah awesome. Screamy

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »

ooh cool, more actiony than my idea but I think I actually prefer it that way.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »

horror/party game?

This.... this sounds possible, and would make a lot of casual gamers happy.

You could also go the unintentional humor direction and make a game version of the boardgame "Nightmare".

That could actually be a hit game, and is something I wouldn't have thought of without a script.

Computer stupidity can sometimes inspire human creativity, because humans aren't stupid enough to put those words together.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:27:16 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2009, 06:32:27 AM »

A horror party game could be something like Left 4 Dead's Versus mode, where you have a bunch of people playing ordinary humans and one person playing a super beastie or psycho killer or something like that.

Also, I totally want to make a TBS with microgames. Anyone else interested?
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2009, 10:00:02 AM »

Btw, I'd like a nice mmorpg with beat em up battle system.  Smiley
Yes, yes, YES!
I want a 2D fighter RPG, with the interaction and combat controls as smash bros.
That'd be sweet.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »

horror/party game?

I recently looked into the game ObsCure, which is a survival horror game which allows 2 players to cooperatively play through the game.

Not exactly the same, but combined with the Left 4 Dead phenomenon I think it's proof enough that horror games + friends = win.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »

The only problem with Left 4 Dead and the notion of a party game is that it's a particularly nerdy interpretation of a party, namely one where everyone has their own beefy computer.

On the other hand, most of the games I consider to really be "party" games allow 4 or more players to play on the same screen at once on a single console / computer / whatever. On the casual end this includes Wii Sports, on the hardcore end this includes various 4-player beat-em-up games (Guardian Heroes), Cortex Command, and such.

It's hard to do horror when you got all your buddies around, as multiplayer System Shock 2 demonstrates, but it's not like people fail to enjoy horror movies in groups, so it's still possible.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2009, 01:46:15 PM »

Wait, wait, wait, System Shock 2 has multiplayer? How does that even work?

Actually, my idea of a slasher party game could probably work as a split-screen affair, screenwatching be damned.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic