Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:33:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkArtist wanted for collaboration
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Artist wanted for collaboration  (Read 5798 times)
RSD
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a programmer looking for an artist to collaborate with on new projects. I'm not looking for a big team, you just do the art and I'll take care of the programming, the effort will be 50/50.

About me: I'm a novice at making games, so i dont have any big projects to show off. But i have enough experience at programming C#, networking and databases to make something playable. I'm working in XNA at the moment but I'm allso learning Silverlight. I can provide samples of things I'm working on atm if you want. I allso have experience with lightwave and making 2d art, so i can contribute at the content creation if needed.

What I'm looking for: A talented artist... or atleast one who is better at it then me Smiley it can either be 3d or sprite art, i can go either way. You do however need to be committed to completing the project if we start one. And it would be nice if you can show some samples of your work.

The projects: you'll have an equal part in deciding what game we'll make. I prupose to start with something small and if everything goes well we can scale up to bigger projects.
The goal will be to A have fun doing this and B make (a) nice game(s).. the ultimate goal will ofc creating a game that is so good that even other people will enjoy playing it. :D and any profits made will ofc be split 50/50.. but judging from all the other projects i've seen the chance of that happening is to small to even consider it.

I'm looking forward to your replies

parabolart
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:21:06 AM »

Hey. I'm an artist; have been trying to make a game for a while but my mental activity seems to be stuck on the right side of my brain. Coding is a rather tedious enterprise for me. I have a lot in mind, just need a partner to work with and help realize the ideas. I don't have many samples of my work online, but I can put some stuff together. Thinking of making an abstract platformer. A sort of commentary on what a game could be. What it might look like if the artist were to bring out the true nature of computer graphics. If you can code a rather simple platform engine, I can create a story and the graphics. Games are sort of a philosophy for me. If you're interested, I would love to share my opinions. I'm also willing to learn programming, if you're willing to reveal to a rather illiterate Actionscript programmer the true world of code.

My work is a type of obsessive regression to the true nature of the computer and it's graphical intentions. I try to find the graphics that interpret themselves instinctively on the grid of pixels that is every screen. The process is far from default for most graphics programs, but I've polished my process to create a rather consistent breed of retrospective matrices of colors that blend together to suggest a mood that engages the viewer with the language of the computer rather than absorbs him/her into a virtual fantasy that mimics reality.

The story that would go along with the game would likewise be an abstract commentary on the relationship of the computer and the player. The game would act as a person in itself, rather than a portal into an augmented reality with digital persons that a "you" character interacts with. In other words, I wish to break some conventions of games. But most of them would be broken through the art and plot, and the music. I know a few talented musicians that are willing to make music to suit this game as well.

Let me know.

Art
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:24:40 AM by parabolart » Logged
ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:14:44 AM »

What th- holy smokes! This is great! My god this would be a cool album cover. Do you have a website/portfolio, parabolart? I am sooo diggin this style.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »

Do you, RSD, take this Manbaby as your lawfully collabed Artist, to have and to hold, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?
Alehandro
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:55 AM »

yo whatsup i wrote a bunch of pretentious bullshit that amounts to a terrible abstract drawing of a face and some low-fi pixel art lets go lets make a game
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 06:40:28 AM »

yo whatsup i wrote a bunch of pretentious bullshit that amounts to an awesome abstract drawing of a face and some low-fi pixel art lets go lets make a game
fixed

hi
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »

16 posts Alehandro. If you want to make it to 20 without getting banhammered, keep a civil tongue in your head.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Corpus
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:34:20 AM »

yo whatsup my response to awesome and incredibly impressive artwork is to do my best to disparage its creator due to a combination of my deep-seated anti-intellectualism (harboured after a childhood shattered by the behaviour of my drunken, abusive professor father) with my loathing of all creation (I am impotent) and I also can't spell wassup let's go make a game
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:59:39 AM »

the face is cubist anyway

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:33 AM »

The face is amazing.  I love the curves in the background.
parabolart
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »

@alehandro
hia buddy. sorry for acting "pretentious" by explaining my ideas in an empty thread in a subforum where people try to share them. i'll try to kick the habit; i'll try to cruise the web. regardless, i'll need to try and keep my posts at or below the 70 character standard: "Mk Game. Im Good Art. Here Link. Thank. Twitter me." thanks for the lesson. i seem to have forgotten how the internet works these days.

@RSD
sorry for derailing the thread, i don't know what did it. maybe it was the color pixels, maybe it was the b&w pixels. it was probably both. (both are terrible)

@*
thanks, i'll try to put up more stuff; http://www.buyhappiness.net/stal/lp3.html
RSD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »

@everyone

Wow didnt expect to get so much replies. To bad there is only 1 serious reaction Tongue

@art

I'll send you a pm so we can share some ideas, but i gotta eat first!

pm sent
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:47:17 PM by RSD » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »

Parabolart, that 'lp3' video is incredible. I hope you guys make an awesome game together.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 01:35:08 AM »

yo whatsup i wrote a bunch of pretentious bullshit that amounts to a terrible abstract drawing of a face and some low-fi pixel art lets go lets make a game

yo whatsup i can't draw for shit so i spread my pathetic self-hate over the rest of the internet

you know what microwave if you put your skills to good use instead of evil you could be an ok guy. and stop besmirching my good name

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:32:49 AM »

@art

I'll send you a pm so we can share some ideas, but i gotta eat first!

pm sent

I now pronounce you Programmer and Artist. You may Kiss and Stuff.
ChevyRay
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 06:05:44 AM »

And the "and Stuff" is the best part Grin<3<3
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 08:16:36 AM »

And the "and Stuff" is the best part Grin<3<3

That's the part where they make the game, right?  Huh?
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »

When a programmer and an artist love each other very much, a little game is born.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »

When a programmer and an artist love each other very much, a little game is born.
Augh... now I am thinking about
a) people who make games all alone and
b) big teams of people making games.

Thanks to you, I can never think about making games again without remembering that. Are you happy now? Epileptic

(This thread is hilarious.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:13:44 PM by TobiasW » Logged

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »

a) people who make games all alone and
asexual reproduction

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic