Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:13:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMaking games on the side
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making games on the side  (Read 2677 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »

This is a neat article about running a tech company while also holding down full-time employment. However, it also clearly relates to creating and ESPECIALLY selling indie games while employed. Covering your ass when it comes to this kind of thing is a good idea, but in my experience the specific companies I've worked with don't mind as long as it doesn't get in the way of work.

http://blog.asmartbear.com/working-startup.html

Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

When I started doing Indie games I was fully employed as a games designer in a development studio. My contract said that anything I designed belonged to the company. This is fairly standard and as designer coming up with game ideas and game mechanics ideas was part of my job.

To cover my ass I made sure my contract was changed to specifically allow me to do games on the side. I think this is the only way to be absolutely safe but a lot of employers will be reticent to do this I imagine.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »

Quote from: Zenorf
When I started doing Indie games I was fully employed as a games designer in a development studio. My contract said that anything I designed belonged to the company. This is fairly standard and as designer coming up with game ideas and game mechanics ideas was part of my job.

To cover my ass I made sure my contract was changed to specifically allow me to do games on the side. I think this is the only way to be absolutely safe but a lot of employers will be reticent to do this I imagine.
Same here. During the interview with a new employer, it's a good idea to explicitly ask if the company has anything against you also being an indie developer and can you have it specified in your contract.
Though, I've also saw few cases of successfully hiding one's indie activity and using pseudonym for one's past-time work. Some companies will simply never allow you to work on anything game-related outside of your job.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »

I'm going to start the job as a website designer. I doubt that has anything to do with game development.

If you work in game industry, however, that may be another story altogether and you have to prepare your contract very carefully.
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »

This is important to do and most companies have no problems with it. If they do then you should probably think twice about working there.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:28:25 PM »

When I worked in film marketing my contract stated that any intellectual property, including even patents, I created automatically belonged to them. It's not an uncommon practice. It stops you using company resources to develop new techniques or products and then leaving the company to profit from them yourself. Don't forget you are a company asset too. As stated above though if you are honest with them, and it doesn't interfere or compete with your day job, then they'll usually be cool with it.

C0ldf1re
Level 0

Meditating

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »

I negotiated the same sort of thing years ago with my employers. They were stoopid. Of course, I spent more effort on my business than on theirs, but still took their salary. They went bust and I got money.

I'd never ever let one of my employees work on the side. I learned from someone else's hard way.

And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. (Luke 4:5)
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »

I negotiated the same sort of thing years ago with my employers. They were stoopid. Of course, I spent more effort on my business than on theirs, but still took their salary. They went bust and I got money. MWUH! HA! HA! HA!
You're just an evil person as demonstrated by your evil laugh, but that does probably make you better at business than most of us Indies. Unless you pull out the laugh whenever you close a deal, right in front of them. They may begin to suspect.
Actually, I put even more effort into my day job because my bosses had given me the freedom to do what I enjoy and trusted that I wouldn't let it screw with their interests.

I'd never ever let one of my employees work on the side. I learned from someone else's hard way.
Yup. Bad, mean and evil. Tongue
What percentage of people would decide to screw their employers over do you think?
Commence a debate on the nature of man/greed/Kung fu.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »

My personal experience is that it's easier to get the company to agree to it if you don't propose adding language that allows you to make your own games on the side;  instead, propose adding a few conditionals on their standard "we own anything you make" clause, amending it to something more like:  "we own anything you make using work computers, during work hours, or on work property."

That way, you just need to make sure that you only work on your side-projects outside of work hours and at home (and not on work-provided laptops or suchlike, if you're unlucky enough to have something like that), and you're free and clear.  And work gets to keep their beloved "we own everything" language, just with a set of provisos that look fair from their point of view.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:37 AM »

I have the opposite attitude. My previous employer got some excellent work out of me because the fact they let me make games on the side meant I wasn't desperate to leave. Sure, I eventually left to go full-time indie, but that was after eight years and we worked well together.

Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »

I quit my last job specifically because I wasn't allowed to work on games on the side. I got a great job working for a company that started out as an "on the side" type of deal that went good, so they have a very relaxed policy about stuff like that.

If I could give one advice, however, it would be to get everything in print. Verbal promises (while legally binding), don't really hold up too well if they decide to change their mind.
drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »

Huh. That's some food for thought, I never thought about this. I am fortunate my dayjob has absolutely zilch to do with games or indeed computers so I do believe I am safe in that regard, but I can see how this is a problem especially in modern-day corporate culture.

STOP MAKING IT HARDER FOR THE INDIE DEVELOPERS, YOU EVIL COMPANIES.  Durr...?

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic