Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411977 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 15, 2024, 04:51:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCovering someone else's Video Games
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Covering someone else's Video Games  (Read 7028 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:55 AM »

I clearly don't get the banjo as sonic oO

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »

I don't either, also, trying to claim past game franchises as covers of others isn't what this thread is about. There is an element of Intent when you cover someone else's work, when Sega set out to make Sonic, they didn't say "this is our spin on Mario". When Rare set out to make Banjo Kazooie, they weren't making their own take on the Sonic franchise. Saying big name companies wouldn't go for it doesn't matter, you shouldn't be cribbing so hard on the source material that it isn't its own beast entirely.

Calling games which are clearly different clones is also lame.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
gunmaggot
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »

Banjo firmly belongs in the 'forgettable wave of 90s animal platformer mascots'

Concerned

I love the banjo games! They're part of the reason I make games today! They're part of the reason I ever played games at all!

...sorry, sorry... </offTopic>

I just meant the character himself - it's not anything special design-wise.  I think Rare did a pretty good job of rescuing it and giving it its own style with Nuts and Bolts though.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »

There is an element of Intent when you cover someone else's work, when Sega set out to make Sonic, they didn't say "this is our spin on Mario".

They did and this a notorious fact, but it isn't a cover.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 11:38:41 PM »

Lot of this made me go Huh?  
That's fine, I wrote it quickly late at night on the top of my head as I remembered things without actually checking up anything. Thanks for the corrections. And yeah, I'm sort of embarrassed I forgot Mario64 (I never played it much myself, but that's not an excuse).

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »

MegaMari is a perfect example of what this topic is about. You can learn more about it here, or watch a playthrough

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »

I guess one prototype I've got sitting on my hard drive would qualify as a cover if I take it anywhere.  Massive fan of the Mega Man Zero series (the other MM series are alright, but not nearly as good as Zero imo) and I prototyped the game's movement mechanics minus any combat.  I love how you move through space in a parkour-like manner in those games, and if I ever take the prototype any further then that's all it will be.  I'm really curious if the game could be fun without combat, and I guess that really reflects my non-violent tendencies.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »

I think there's a few classic arcade games that have been 'covered.' Space Invaders seems to be perennially re-worked as some kind of art game, and Tetris has had it's fair share of interpretations. Pong, Pac-Man, and Breakout are others that come to mind, though I don't have any specific examples.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 02:45:12 AM »

GOOD Hackmod are most likely to fit the description

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 06:22:40 AM »

I wouldn't be so hasty to put Rom Hacks in. The main issue is the last 2 posts have very vague answers, I don't know if those teams where known for the style they put on space invaders, because there weren't any specific examples mentioned.

If someone like Amon26 did his own version of Space Invaders, that would be rad, and totally an example of what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I think, as it was mentioned earlier, that most game developers lack a strong sense of style, but I think the state of the art has advanced enough that most of the thought process in creation can be attributed to style instead of necessity, the old way of doing things.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:58 AM »

If by "videogames" you mean "sister" then yes. I'm all for it.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »

I wouldn't be so hasty to put Rom Hacks in.
Rom-Hacks don't present a total stylistic overhaul (although some get close), but they do almost always change the style of the graphics and design.

I guess that means they are technically a separate category, but the differences aren't that large. To continue extending the music metaphor, I guess it would be like comparing a remix and a cover.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 08:53:20 PM »

The main issue is the last 2 posts have very vague answers, I don't know if those teams where known for the style they put on space invaders, because there weren't any specific examples mentioned.

If someone like Amon26 did his own version of Space Invaders, that would be rad, and totally an example of what I'm talking about.

I found some examples of what I meant in my earlier post. It's debatable whether they constitute covers in the classic sense, but these are the closest ones I could think of.

http://www.foxnews.com.education2020.us/story/0,2933,407821,00.html

http://www.crookedbrains.net/2009/03/installation_09.html

http://www.guimp.com/pacman_flash.html
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »

I wouldn't be so hasty to put Rom Hacks in.

clearly a stylistic change!

But "sega sonic" (classic genesis series) and "dimps sonic" (advence series) are official cover up.

Edit:

"sega sonic"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=argexHqD_yA "dimps sonic"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:05:29 PM by neoshaman » Logged

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »

this may be splitting hairs, and I don't want to disparage rom hacks (since they do take effort and creativity)-- but I'd classify them more as remixes rather then covers. Like a remix, they take a big chunk of the original and base everything off that. A cover is done from scratch, as another artist's take, with the same title, lyrics, chord progressions, etc.-- It's 'identity' in other words. Remixes change the identity of the piece, much like rom hacks. Covers keep the identity, but with a unique flavor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic