Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:02:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWhere to find open-source instrumental samples?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where to find open-source instrumental samples?  (Read 1869 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »

I'm not needing very many; a few key full notes like A/C/F/G per instrument would work; for an electric lead, rhythm and bass guitar, a keyboard or two (new wavey/grand piano/organ, maybe) and basic drums. I've poked a few search sites, and to no avail so far...

Thank you very much!

Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »

I too had tried looking for something similar but couldn't find anything. Eventually I just used a combination of the tweakbench VSTs + Renoise (for generating the sounds), and Audacity (for editing) and made my own samples

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »

Being able to create instrument samples was one of the motivations behind this project. (Mac only for now, I haven't had time to work on it in a while. Concerned)
compositeredfox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:46:58 AM »

Have you taken a look at Fluid yet?
It's a free General Midi soundfont that sounds fantastic.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »

Yeah, I am in need of some free and realistic-sounding instrument samples... I've looked around, but everything either costs money or sounds tacky and synthesized.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »

From my expirence "free" + "good sounding" don't really go together when it comes to real instrument samples. Chances are if you want something of quality you're going to need to pay for it. Or record them yourself...

kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »

As far as I can tell the linux multimedia studio project has everything you need in ogg format.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »

I have LMMS and I use it all the time... The instruments that come with it are varied in quality, though. Some of them aren't very good.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 06:16:46 AM »

You can make a tacky / dry sounding instrument sound a bit better by adding some reverb and increasing the release on the envelope. Of course, it's merely a bandaid and quality samples are always going to be better.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:25 AM »

muku linked me to some resources, and FreeSound.org has some good ones. So far, I'd endorse the mikey eff, medialint, Jovica, Koen, RealRhodesSounds, and TicTacShutUp's for music. There's a good grip of SFX there, too. It's almost practically sticky-worthy.

I do think a lot of it is in how the samples are utilized (proper stopping/flowing of them, for instance), but only trial and error will tell what comes out, I suppose!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic