Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411951 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58482 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 12, 2024, 04:10:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Photoshop CS5
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Photoshop CS5  (Read 2712 times)
Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »

Anyone else been having fun with the new tools?

I've been fiddling around with a panorama for a scene I'm putting together during my thesis, and I just figured out that running Content-Aware Spot Healing on a major part of the sky on a 1.5GB image is a Bad Thing®

... Also, 10min later, I can vouch for the results of said spot heal being shit. Smiley

Anyone else been doing something fun in this latest state of the art graphics toy?
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »

Be right back pirating this

I am a normal middle class citizen of decent financial means, and thus will never be able to afford Photoshop. I respect Adobe's stance that only the rich should be able to use art tools and would never pirate their software.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »

$700 is expensive now?

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Derakon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:19:06 PM »

Even for someone who's quite well off, $700 is a big chunk of change. Your average person might be able to make one or two purchases (of non-essential products) of that magnitude a year, if they're being fiscally responsible (i.e. trying to save money) and they don't buy much else otherwise.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »

$700 is expensive now?

Um... yes? Huh?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:48:29 AM »

$700 is expensive now?
Are you kidding? RELATIVELY to one's finance YES (and totally unrelated to the effort put in the software and its real value)

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:50:57 AM »

I hate how there's so much crap packaged in with the program. Adobe Bridge? Device Central? Mini Bridge? Media Player?? Fuck me sideways, I just wanted bloody Photoshop, not Adobe Office Suite 2010!

Content-aware fill makes things a lot faster for sure, even if you do still have to repair some repetition patterns in the resulting fill.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:41:01 AM »

I was kidding, guys. Cheesy

Also, there's been a content-aware fill plugin for GIMP, if you don't feel like pirating CS5.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »

already? Dude, I just got CS4 last year.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »

same.  It sucks that these companies keep putting out new versions instead of patching/updating the old ones some.  These money scams are starting to get really annoying.

Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »

So true. I'd switch to GIMP if they refined their interface. When I see it, I cringe. Sad
(I say refine; read as clone PS5 to death and make it their default interface)

On the other hand, while it won't apply to everyone, I think there's a student version priced at around $200...
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »

So true. I'd switch to GIMP if they refined their interface. When I see it, I cringe. Sad

On the other hand, while it won't apply to everyone, I think there's a student version priced at around $200...

I'm still finding that a tad expensive for a product I probably won't use past a hobby, and if I do want to go into the business I'd probably be supplied the required software by my employers.

Unless I became a freelance digital artist. That sounds like such a good job, but I can't imagine the pay is too high. I doubt I'd think it was worth the cost of the software.

Still though, when I get off my arse and save up, I'll probably get it. ~£135 isn't that bad.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure they've already announced CS6 for release next year.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:13:29 AM »

Also, there's been a content-aware fill plugin for GIMP, if you don't feel like pirating CS5.

I tried that. The plugin in question has been broken and unmaintained for a long time.
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 12:34:06 AM »

whatever. i'm still using cs3. it has brushes and adjustments and that's all I really need.
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

I can't understand how they can drop the price that (comparatively) low from the normal price. Surely it just weakens justifications that Photoshop is worth $700.

Although I've heard the new brush creation stuff is a lot more like Painter now, and geared towards producing a more realistic look, which is always a good thing.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »

I can't understand how they can drop the price that (comparatively) low from the normal price. Surely it just weakens justifications that Photoshop is worth $700.

Although I've heard the new brush creation stuff is a lot more like Painter now, and geared towards producing a more realistic look, which is always a good thing.
The lower price tag is for the student edition if I'm not mistaken. You're not allowed to make commercial work with it -> useless.

I AM FREE!
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »

Which reminds me I should check out GIMPshop later, as I cannot now because I am currently on a laptop of which I do not own...

Derakon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »

Most pros get Photoshop "for free" since it's paid for by the company they work for. That tends to jack the price up a lot.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic