Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:26:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeExpectations [developer question]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Expectations [developer question]  (Read 8370 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »

My goals (roughly on a logarithmic time scale are)

Polish my game and submit it to the PAX Boston Indie Showcase

Polish my game more and sell it in the way that makes the most sense

Start heavy duty work on next project

Quit day job, become indie dev

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 01:11:44 PM »

My goal since I was a very small boy was to be a game developer.
Big goal, I know but it's achievable by small steps:

1.) Beat the last bit of lazyness out of me
2.) Complete my big project
3.) Put my project on sale (for budget money more or less)
4.) Start new project (for some more than budget)
5.) Get game-seller liscence or something
6.) On this step...I don't know, I'll be closer to my goal I guess
7.)...
8.)...
X.) Full time game developer  Beer!

There are steps among all which are - lerning

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

i've already accomplished more than i could ever have hoped for with immortal defense, it succeeded far beyond what i anticipated, both in sales (which weren't the greatest in the world, but i expected it to make less than $2000, not $20,000+), in critical acclaim, and in fan acclaim (see this list of quotes about the game).

i can't really expect that all my future games will do as well in terms of reception, but that doesn't really matter to me, only that i keep roughly meeting or exceeding the quality of my previous games with each new one (in terms of how good i think the games are). it's also important to me that each game continues to have major innovations within its particular genre, and to do something that no other game really did before (at least as strongly).

i've a long list of games designed that i intend to make, each of which will probably take a year or more, so i've some idea of the games i'll be making for the next 30-50 years (or however long i live). certainly i've more designs for games that i want to make than i have time to make in a lifetime.

aside from that, it's also important to me to help indie games grow and eventually displace the previous game development model (of multi-million dollar games being funded by publishers in clockwork fashion). i've a lot of projects related to that that i want to do as well: posting more on the frontpage, giving feedback to other indie developers about their games (my new year's resolution was to give new feedback to an indie game in the feedback forum every day), working on the tigswiki and other projects, starting a contest for indie games that gives small prizes for dozens of tiny little categories (like best villain / best monster design) to bring more recognition to them, things like that.

i often don't have enough time to do all of that simultaneously, so improving my working efficiency is also important. i'm at the point where i do work on my game every day without missing a day, but even if i reach the point that i can't improve how much i work on things i can always improve how well i do those things (do more in less time -- work smarter, not harder).

i'd also like to expand the radical poesis games & creations team so that we're up to our previous strength: five years ago or so we had a team of ~10 members, but gradually over time most of us drifted off to do other things, so now we only have two people working on games consistently (me and orchard-l), with the rest still helping out rarely but not consistently. i'm not quite sure who would be interested in joining, but it'd help a lot to bring the team back up to full strength again (so if anyone is a big fan of our games and has some talents and would like to join us let me know).

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »

Last year I think my expectations were: "Release a largish commercial indie title and hope it works, business-wise." I did exactly that; hoping doesn't work, but you don't know that's what you're doing, going into it. Anyway, I needed to do the learning of shipping all by myself to "get my bearings" as an indie. I was still a bit stuck in the studio mindset.

This year I've changed to "Make the most successful(fun, popularity, money) game I can possibly conceive, and don't indulge myself too much with it(already did that on the last one), but also don't stoop to low gimmicks or haphazard quality." It's a great galvanizing force and I think I've got some strategy to make it happen.

Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 12:14:49 AM »

I'm hoping to actually finish a game, polish and all, I've worked on tons of different games, but i always lose interest after all the interesting programming bits are done (so I usually end up with a cool mechanic, with a couple tech demo levels, but no will to do level design or content creation on the rest...).

In the further future:
-Graduate with a comp sci degree
-Work in some sort of programming for a while (ideally game dev, but anything that puts food on the table..), making indie games on the side.
-(hopefully/maybe) go full time indie when financial/etc conditions permit.

HyperNexus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 06:37:59 AM »

Great topic. I'm hoping that everyone comes back to this thread in a few years to see how things have changed.

Last year I read the book Revolutionaries at Sony, in the last chapter of that book Ken Kutaragi left some advice for readers. One bit of advice that stuck with me was to only tell people the next step of your plan in order for their expectations not to rise too high. Since I get a great deal of anonymity over the internet I'm going to break that rule.

Currently I'm hoping to release the game that I'm working on by the time the next IGF submissions come around. The IGF itself doesn't tickle my fancy, however the deadline drives me to work harder. I'm hoping that throughout its developing that I'll be able to learn lots about myself as this game is intended to be a personal game. I'm quite opinionated so I'm looking forward to pushing myself in expressing my ideas through game mechanics.

After making that game I'd like to start making something that is a bit more commercially viable as in a year or two I'll be forced to get a job of some sort. Over the past few months I've taken an interests in political theory and persuasive games. I'd love to work on something that is commercial but also greatly benefits or informs the players about important issues.

Through this process I'd love to meet some great people to work with. I'm really picky about choosing people to work with and so would love to find someone, preferably someone who has some art skills and lives nearby.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:50 AM »

My expectations of game development has fluctuated over the years.
- When I first started "coming up" with games, I had no programming skill to make the games in my head
- I made full animation sets, mock-ups, and story lines for my games
- And during this time I had the expectation that someone out there would want to make games with me
- Learned that no one for the most part wants to make "your games" everyone has their own ideas
- Began working in Game Maker
- Expectations of doing anything with Game Maker was very low.
- Now two years later, my expectations of where I'm going next are fairly unclear.
- I'd like to finish my game Demolish which has been under production for the last two years
- Never planned to sell it, as I've never intended to make money off of my video games and for the most part Game Maker games are nearly impossible to sell
- Learn to develop with Flashpunk or Flixel
- Perhaps meet more people who want to help make awesome games with me
- For the most part my problem with working on other people's games is personal interest in the game it's self and the art style hopefully I can break past that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:56:37 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »

I just want to finish a game that a lot of people like.

Eventually it would be cool to sell my own games, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Earlier my expectations were "finish a game" and then "finish several games".

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:19 PM »

Team building. We've got too many lone wolves out there, all scrabbling away, and half of them on projects which are fundamentally the same.

I want to work together with a small, talented group of people on a mid-size project, participate in a vigorous discussion of game design, and accomplish something we can all be collectively proud of. My best ideas aren't full games, they're themes, set pieces, events, and components. They'd be just as at home incorporated into the vision of someone else's work.

So, yea. My expectation is to hunt down a trustworthy circle of folks and make goddamn magic happen. Will we be profitable? Ehhhhh... but amazing? Yes.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 07:18:07 AM »

Just finish a damn game. That's all I want to do! Big Laff

tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »

Make a game I'm happy with and put it on XBLIG...  Shrug

Really just finishing a game that isn't simplistic and takes time to make is my goal.

(See my sig... all but one of those were clones, the 'Spike teh Dodge' was with a Pro-artist,a royalty free song on repeat, no SFX, had four levels, and had a working menu, with possibly worst name in the world) Total time: 2 weeks for a couple of hours a day, it got finished.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
rogerlevy
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48:39 AM »

For me, game programming goals are:

1) Finish the beta version of the engine, document it, and release it

2) Finish the shmup

3) Make a BIG GAY RPG

4) Profit?
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »

I must tell ya the truth. I wanna finish the thing I'm working on. And I know it'll prolly take a year or more. And I know chances are it's not gonna be famous or anything.

So I don't wanna sell it. I don't wanna win no awards. I wanna see this game finished and working, and when I do so, I'll just bask in it's glory.

'Cause even if no one else likes it.
Even if no one else even gets to know it.
Even if no one bothers to download it even though it'll be free.

Imma be freaking happy.
Because
(and trust me when I say so)
it's
the game of my dreams.

(I actually dream about it ocasionally).
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »

Well, i don't wanna advertise it too much/derail this thread, but you can check the devblog if you want to:

http://thundermanstudios.tumblr.com/

(But since I'm already posting here, I might as well say it's gonna be an iji-esque sidescroller with a huge changing world.)
Tiderion
Level 0

Game Writer/Designer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »

I'd like to get settled into a new place in the near future with a job that pays the bills. Once I get that squared away I want to put together a team of people and work on some ideas. I have a couple ideas for something that can be put on Steam and then there is the holy grail idea I have that I haven't worked the kinks out of yet that I want to do down the road.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »

1. Submit my phd dissertation within two months, after 4 years (of pain).
2a. Work half a week as a research assistant (in generative graphics).
2b. Work the other half week on a game!
3. Profit from 2b, quit 2a, and then ...
4. Work full-time making games. Each one hopfully would take about 6-months, and would involve a different theme (the sun, ancient greece, penicillin, ...) that allows me to keep learning all the wonderful things about this world while doing the thing that I love most, programming teh games!
5. Goto 4 (for the rest of my life).

Smiley

Oh yeah, also have a family, house, meet cool people, maybe start an 8-bit rammstein cover band, and run a few marathons.

HiVE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 03:41:20 AM »

We actually tend to deliberately, aggressively avoid expectations of any kind - the only short- or long-term goal is whatever's written on the to-do list. If it gets done, it gets done, if not... it gets done, just later. In a way, it's liberating, if you're the sort of developer/team who worries overly about failing your own or others' expectations and targets etc.

Actually, this is also what's called "terrible progress management". Hmm. Sad

Oh yeah, also have a family, house, meet cool people, maybe start an 8-bit rammstein cover band, and run a few marathons.

And, variously, some of these. But not all. Smiley

dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »

My goals include selling a game, just so that I can get used to that process. My expectations about sales are low so I'm not worried about that the first time around.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »

Submit a game for Dream Build Play that actually plays really well, also I want to win  Tongue

Life sucks and then you die.
Theophilus
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »

My short term goal is to get better at game design. Long term, I'd like to work full-time as an indie developer and require no other jobs, etc.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic