Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:05:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLone Survivor
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Lone Survivor  (Read 49907 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:35 AM »

Basically I'm not sure if I want to play it as a browser-based game, so I'm hoping it's a PC download that can be full-screened.

It is, and it can be.
brettchalupa
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »

Just bought the game, and I have played it a little bit. It was totally worth it, and it is a really well made game. I'm also happy that it included the Mac and Windows version wit the purchase.  Grin
Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »

Picked the game up yesterday but only had time to play 20 minutes or so. Loving the atmosphere so far Smiley

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »

Thanks guys!  I'm so happy and relieved that people actually like it!!!

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »

Congrats on finishing this.

I know how great it is to finally be finished with a game and no longer be obligated to keep working on it.

Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »

Likin' it so far. Question: do any of you have strategies for evading enemies when you don't have a hiding spot? Ammo is in short supply but enemies are not.

Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »

I will purchase as soon as possible. Looks amazing. I played sounless mountains and was a nice tribute.

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2012, 05:01:56 AM »

this looks really cool. i just snagged a copy to give it a proper playthrough. kudos on the neo-SNES styling.   Coffee

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
BeyondWorldsEnd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2012, 05:05:09 AM »

This game is just brilliant. Best spend 10 bucks ever :D

Follow me on twitter if you like https://twitter.com/#!/BeyondWorldsEnd
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

So I just finished my first play-through of Lone Survivor last night. It took me two play sessions and about three and a half hours to finish. Consider this post my review for the game.

Before I begin, I would like to say that Lone Survivor was probably one of the best indie games I've personally played. When it comes to modern games, I like to see stuff that has a retro vibe by emphasizing pixel art, but does some new things that games from that era couldn't, and Lone Survivor captures this perfectly. Another reason I really liked LS is because it's very much like a couple indie games that I've worked on but never finished; both being side-scrolling horror games and one being pretty much Lone Survivor but with Lovecraftian horrors instead of faceless zombies. Needless to say, this game struck a huge chord with what I'm interested in.

First off, the game's presentation is top-notch. The world just drips with atmosphere and ambiance. This is something you don't always find in games, but it's one of my favorite things to see. The UI is simple enough and the pixelated visuals with their accompanying effects are very strong, as demonstrated in both the screenshots and videos, but they look even better when you've got them full-screened on an HDTV. The controls were simple enough that you could easily map them to Joy2Key and interface with a gamepad, which is what I did since I was playing on a TV; it felt great.

As mentioned before, the game's most stunning feat is its atmosphere. This is achieved by the level of detail in the environments, the crisp and rich sounds effects, and the interesting choices of music. This game is what you'd get if you put Silent Hill, the original SNES Clock Tower, and some David Lynch into a blender. The result is nothing short of delicious. Snappy, toe-tapping lounge music springs up in some of the oddest places, you'll hear the scraping shuffle of faceless monsters coming down the halls; the audio in this game is just as important as the visuals when creating the experience.

As for the game's mechanics, they're simple but also effective. It's really nothing new in terms of your standard survival horror fare, but there's a nice extra measure of detail added in. For example, it's fun to cook food on your stove and then eat it. This might be a tedious task in real life, but in this game it's a reward. The game almost revolves around menial tasks from cooking your food to watering plants to feeding cats; it all enriches the experience in a way that's both familiar and rewarding.

The game falls short, however, in terms of level design and layout. The learning curve for establishing a good sense of direction in this game is very steep and it's often not clear which doors will lead where. Cross-referencing your position with the map happens frequently, and it takes the extra effort of translating your place in the 2D side-scrolling world to the top-down position on an X/Y map; it can often be tedious and still remain unclear. There was even the matter of passages themselves not being obvious enough; I went through at least 3/4ths of the game before I found a simple item (the can opener) that would have been essential to my survival from the start.

Speaking to the game's drawbacks, I would also say that the ending fell a little flat for me. Apparently this is a game with more than one ending, but the ending I received provided me with no clear resolution to any of the characters. This felt like a disappointing finale to an otherwise superb game. In many ways, the entire ending felt unfinished; when I got to the last area I was expecting one last zone to explore but it ended up being a linear point-A-to-point-B experience with almost nothing in between besides locked doors that felt like they were intended to hold more precious minutes of gameplay. I don't think I wasn't expecting the ending to come so soon because the climax of the game happened but then there was a marked lull between that climax and the actual end, which would have been even longer provided I had gone off to explore other areas.

All in all, Lone Survivor is a work of art, but is it worth the $10? While the game boasts a lot of detail in an insanely immersive and atmospheric world, it doesn't exactly bring anything new to the genre and fails to deliver in the end. Despite having multiple endings, there doesn't seem to be a lot of replay value; I would have much rather had more content near the end. Though I think for fans of the genre as well as the indie community, the price is acceptable and worth the experience. Overall, I'd rate this game 8.0 out of 10; I'd give it a 9 if it provided more content and resolution towards the end, but it was otherwise a great game.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »

Bought! Will come back with feedback after I play the game  Cheesy

JamesLeonardo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2012, 03:38:18 AM »

I really like the art style you have here, I'll try it when I can!  Coffee

octacon100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »

Congrats on getting your game finished, it's very inspiring! Hope to try the game out soon.

This year is going to be the year I get a game finished! Athena Hope! <a href="http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25163.0/>
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »

ITS ON STEAM YO
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »

johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »

You, sir, are the David Lynch of video games. Don't ever stop.

P.S. are you still planning to release HAL?

Unbroken: A Souls-inspired mobile hack n' slash
Devlog
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »

Just finished the game today and I promised that I'll come back with feedback, and here I am!

!!!! MAY CONTAIN SPOILER !!!

I love this. I love how scary it is regardless of it being a pixel-art game. The atmosphere is terrific and it makes me paranoid on every move I make. The details you gave to this game is really impressive, from the choices of food you can eat and the effects of your actions. ( Using drugs, giving drugs, etc...) I'm really impressed and I find myself really enjoying this game.

The only part I don't like is the way the story is told. It is frustrating. It's the same 'You know the answer', 'You know me', etc. I know you want to keep it a mystery, but everything is so mysterious and surreal that it becomes quite annoying. And after all these mysteries have been built up, the ending was a let down and anticlimactic to me. I sat there watching the ending and I was like 'That's it?'

I share the same opinion on the level design as well as the top-view-to-side-view translation issue. I was stuck, not knowing what to do or where to go once, when I had no more ammo nor flares and I have to go through a bunch of thin men in order to get the generator key.

I've searched and found out that there are three endings so far, none offer any good explanation or any supporting evidences that are enough for player to interpret anything, so I'm a bit disappointed. I've heard you might add more endings, and I really hope you do and give us a finale that this great game deserve.

With that said, I'm a big fan of horror games and this really satisfied my hunger for a great horror game. I'm looking forward to your next game and if you need any support or donation, I'll be glad to help in anyway I can Smiley

Thanks for an awesome game!

Houndninja
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »

Where can I get this it looks really cool and reminds me of a 16-bit silent hill.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »

Where can I get this it looks really cool and reminds me of a 16-bit silent hill.

http://www.lonesurvivor.co.uk/buy.html

Houndninja
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

http://www.lonesurvivor.co.uk/buy.html
thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic