Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:43:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWork Counter - small utility to count time spent working (or anything else)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Work Counter - small utility to count time spent working (or anything else)  (Read 2263 times)
JaSp
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »

Hello there, I'd like to share a little utility I made yesterday.
Basically, it is used to count time spent working on my game - since one of the most difficult thing for me has been to count how much time I've spent on my game so far. It will output text logs in the same folder as the program which sort total time spent each day and month, and you can optionally indicate which tasks you made for each session.

I thought it might be useful to someone else!

Download here (zip,61 ko)
Windows only, requires .NET 3.5

Don't hesitate if you have any suggestion/criticism/question!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »

this would be pretty useful for poppenkast competitions. i'll check it out when i get home

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »

I'll probably find use for this. :D

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »

That's very cool, thanks for sharing Smiley  It seems like this could also be helpful in the area of reminding you to take breaks (for those who have wrist problems). 

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »

it'll also be helpful in the area of reminding me to actually do work, I think! When the clock is ticking there is no slacking! Going to try that at least.
Fun to have the collected time of having worked on something.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »

There are Pomodoro timers out there that kind of work in reverse, they count down from 25 minutes under the assumption that you're going to limit your work sessions (focusing on a single task) to 25 minutes.

I probably don't have the discipline to remember to start/stop the timer. I like the idea of something that reminds me I'm not working, though.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »

I use Orzeszek Timer

kinda simple, like an egg timer. But you can have your own custom beep sound. main reason why I like it, is that it's got a nice and pretty interface.

your program looks cool and a bit more detailed, ill check it out
JaSp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »

I'm glad you like it!
What you could do about the pauses/work is to have the program in 2 folders, one for work, and one for pauses, so you can measure both and then see if you prefer to play games rather than making them (or vice-versa) Wink
Adding a countdown feature seems like a good idea, something like hearing a .wav every X minutes - you would still have to manually stop the timer, but at least you'd get a better sense of time passing!

Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 04:51:49 AM »

Hey, I made something similar to this a while back. Mine had a little twist that helped someone as unfocused as me to study / work better. Basically for every ten minutes you spend working, it adds two minutes to your 'free time' clock. At any time you can take a break at which point the free time timer ticks down. I called it 10two5 because the idea was at the end of every five 10+2 minute sessions you'd take a longer break.

Actually, you've motivated me to do further work on it, I wanted to integrate it with the Windows 7 superbar, so I might try to do that now.

Edit: I found it!

Download Here - Windows only sorry Sad
Needs the lates .net framework (4.0 I think?) to run.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:18:17 PM by Frog » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic