Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411905 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: tpat14

June 09, 2024, 09:21:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 742786 times)
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:02 AM »

lol at using windows/microsoft-stuff server-side, especially in an academic environment  Cheesy

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #4181 on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:53 AM »

lol at using windows/microsoft-stuff server-side, especially in an academic environment  Cheesy

Heh, I know, right? I don't know if this is just a stereotype I have, but I've kind of noticed that most Danish companies are huge Microdollaroft fans.

weird is it different from standard msssql? I use it but always via entity framework so I never actaully write any sql for it.

Well, I've heard that the regular MSSQL server is better than the CE one by that it has more of the standard SQL functions. However, I can guarantee you that if I was in charge of anything to do with databases, I would stick to MySQL. At least that's not a pure hell to use. Of course it's understandable that we're using MSSQL, because we're developing a C# application, but my God, at least they could have used the standard MSSQL rather than the CE one.

Oh, and more icing on the rage-cake. If you forget to put auto increment on a key in a table, you should just change the field, right? WRONG, you have to delete the ENTIRE tabel, rewrite it, aaand of course recreate the foreign key relations. Hand Clap

Well, at least I can have a highly deserved summer vacation right after the exams.
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: June 23, 2013, 12:45:14 AM »

So apparently there was a bug in teleglitch that made ammo pickups give 2x more ammunition than intended about 50% of the time. Nobody noticed it, but it had been in game for more than a year.
All those hours spent on fine-tuning the perfect amount of ammo in each level...

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4183 on: June 23, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »

Nobody noticed it at all? Woah.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Kekskiller
« Reply #4184 on: June 23, 2013, 02:05:18 AM »

I've never noticed (maybe be even seen) a pile of ammo that's labeled in some way to identify how much is in it. It's never noticed cause you're just lucky getting it. Besides, some weapons have different clip sizes but use the same ammunition so noones really gonna check what the actual size an ammo package should be.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: June 24, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »

It's just that unity can't make any kind of complex action gameplay at all, he confuse physics for collision, I just need a good system to resolve collision not to rewrite physX from scratch. No wonder any sane dev avoid unity for AAA. It's cute for some simple movement game, nothing serious or too complex. I'm glad I haven't bought the expensive useless license ...

Unity choose what they add in their package, it is sold as a kind of ultimate game dev package and yet failed at most basics level. It make sense commercially as it port to multiple platform, but creatively it's a mess.

I'm not trying crazy hard stuff here, 1 single Sphere to scene Mesh is like basic requirement, except:

1 - I'm on a low end machine, not only rigid bodies is crazy expensive but it came with physics stuff I don't need and which fucked up the collision resolution. I have just one scene and one object and it's a slide show!

2 - It fails at a convenience because collision resolution tools are weak and don't provide enough data and have many quirks to find out. You can't even properly write your own collision resolution using primitive tools.

3 - It fails for game because the most important things is collision detection and automatic resolution (not going through wall and object) which unity fail to provide without extra code, and the unnecessary expensive physics is not typical gameplay case.

Research show that's the most common problem people have with unity, so it's not an isolate accident. Most complain goes to how rigidbody act weird, is expensive and how the character controller is shit. That's like the basic of most actions games! It's sold as a game engine, proper collision handling in the context of game is a very basic requirement!

But it lead to a larger problem with mots of so called collision engine, most coder feel the urge to do a full physics engine that user are quick to try neutralizing. I have yet to see a collision engine that is design for typical gameplay and have things like moving platform just work without extra code.

Blitz3D is the closest to my knowledge, it has collision, layer, no physics and handle automatically resolution to prevent overlap, and send you all the data you need like contacts and normal for you to decide gameplay. It does not handle moving platform automatically but that's as close as possible to video games oriented collision engine. Too bad its renderer is obsolete in most modern card.

Now Maybe there is alternative to unity, Do you know some?

I made of a rant for sure, I have been working on this simple thing for 3 years, fighting gimbal lock, quaternion and finally hairy ball ...

In fact I solved the "wall hugging" (it's the desired behavior) problem with a sphere collider with rigidbody at the expense of performance (slide show fps) then try to replicate with casting but I don't have enough precision as they never return more than one hit.

BUT I tried to reuse the same rigidbody back into the new code ... and it break, it does not work anymore ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24530447/flash%20build/litesonicengine/LiteSonicEngine8.html New code with solved control but broken collisions, much simpler strip down code to focus on the main problem of control.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24530447/flash%20build/flash%20sonic/flash%20sonic.html This version has much more advance version but suffer from gimbal locks problems (arrow and mice to control, jump with lmb, try to go inside the tube). In this version collision is really solid, wall hugging works well but have already implemented directional discrimination of collision for ceiling and wall detection (dot product forever).

If I solved this correctly, and integrate everything in once package, I'll released the controller for everyone with extra goodies (most notably input lock to reverse intelligently control on ceiling, ie when the user is no more holding the move button).

NO ONE WOULD HAVE TO SOLVE THIS EVER AGAIN WOOO

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4186 on: June 24, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »

If you were not on a low end machine I'd tell you to take a look at UDK , it works great, you can manipulate everything through unrealscript and look at the code for UT3 to help you and the engine has been tested and tried for decades through their multiplayer games. But UDK requires a good machine, that said nothing prevents you to try the demo.
Blitz3D is flawless, I'm using it right now, but it doesn't support shaders or any pretty fx post 2004

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: June 24, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »

Blitz3D is nearly flawless, it only lacks some convenience BUT it glitch on many modern video gpu. UDK is not good too, too bloated, unity is a perfect middle between the two. I had a better machine one years ago (bed crushed) but even then I was thinking of lofi perf. My old code use to run great on that machine, but most my contact could not run it at all! Component in unity is great too.

I just hoped I didn't get enamoured for such an idea that have prove difficult even for expert (mario galaxy had a programmer dedicated full time to this, and at pitch time engineer had sweat just by hearing the idea). BUT I'M SO CLOSE DUDE!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4188 on: June 24, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »

I don't think Blitz glitches on modern GPUs, maybe it doesn't work on modern windows without configuring something, but on most accounts it does work normally, it's so simple that I don't see why it'd glitch
see blitz forums for info

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: June 24, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »

It glitch on all intel stupid integrated card who don't support directx7 anymore (both my crushed (nvidia optimus) and weak machine)

also: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99910
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=97366 (my crushed computer was 64bits)

edit: BTW there is a .b3D importer for unity
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:47:08 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: June 28, 2013, 03:55:10 AM »

Had some minor charcode/keycode confusion, made worse by my library not having comprehensive keycode defines. The Unicode representation works neatly for some keys, but not for others, so I was wondering why it didn't work. Turns out you'll just have to look up magic numbers.

I got things to work without too much hassle, but it's definitely the least creative part of programming to memorize contracts that engineers have made. In general it's a pet peeve of mine to waste time on things like this.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4191 on: June 28, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

Yeah, it's weird how rarely key codes are properly documented. Most of the time, I end up adding a print statement to my key down handler and just gathering all of the numbers myself by pressing each key. Some environments don't understand what a key code actually is, and it changes based on system keyboard layout...JavaScript and Flash, I'm looking at you!

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: June 30, 2013, 04:20:34 AM »

C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
I admit, my experiments with templates were beyond good taste and I'm not sure if the code should actually compile, but I expected something else.

Kekskiller
« Reply #4193 on: June 30, 2013, 04:40:03 AM »

It's never too late dumping old shit, bro. Like that suspicious software you're using.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: June 30, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »

It glitch on all intel stupid integrated card who don't support directx7 anymore (both my crushed (nvidia optimus) and weak machine)

also: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99910
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=97366 (my crushed computer was 64bits)

edit: BTW there is a .b3D importer for unity

In those forum posts I cannot find any reference to intel graphicscard nor dx7 ?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: July 02, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »

I meant there is other issue beyond that, directx7 is my own experience

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4196 on: July 06, 2013, 07:02:05 AM »

At work, (I work in academia), we have this thing called "Team Programming." What happens is this: you code stuff. As you are coding, it gets projected onto a 40 inch plasma screen. Other programmers, managers, and interns sit around and criticize your code and offer suggestions. This is not a code review. The code is literally getting created by committee.

This is also not something which happens rarely. It happens every day. Most of our "production" (non research) code goes through this process.

EDIT: I shouldn't be criticizing my employers online, but you can make of this what you will. They believe it is a brilliant idea for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:16:23 AM by BleakProspects » Logged

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: July 06, 2013, 07:10:06 AM »

Oh my god Epileptic Who the hell thinks that's a good idea?

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: July 06, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »

Sounds pretty interesting. There's some research showing that 2 programmers working together write better code. So 20 people would obviously be ten times as good.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4199 on: July 06, 2013, 07:23:10 AM »

Usually it's two or three people. When there is a bug more people come and try to solve it. I would love to see that research. It sometimes helps us catch bugs, but it certainly makes us way less efficient.

The way we ended up like this, btw, is that we program robots. There is one robot because it is very expensive. So the person "using the robot" is usually center stage. For safety reasons, it is useful to have at least one other employee watching the robot with his hand on the emergency stop button so that it doesn't break any of the expensive hardware. This employee inevitably ends up criticizing the other guy's code during down time. Somehow this turned into a semi-formalized process.

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic