Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:24:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903581 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7700 on: November 16, 2015, 08:31:56 AM »

Started playing Rodea the Sky Soldier.  Skipped straight to the Wii version, since I've heard that's the proper version (and the Wii U version is comes with is apparently a port of the not-very-good 3DS version).  I'm really enjoying the game so far.  The controls take a bit to get used to, but they are fun once you do.  It's definitely got the feel of early 2000s Sega, with both the arcadiness and jankiness that entails. 

Also, I got to the first boss fight, and the mechanics in the game really lend themselves to cool aerial boss fights.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: November 16, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »

One old and one new - Faster Than Light and Legacy of the Void. FTL is a really wonderful game, especially with the advanced edition features. It's difficult as heck, but still fun to play when I lose. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been any "FTL clones" in the years since it was released (or at least none that I know about). Mainly because it's so unique in gameplay mechanics; it plays nothing like the other space sims on the market. The closest thing to FTL that I can think of is the board game Galaxy Trucker. Or Firefly.

Also, I've started the story mode in Legacy of the Void, but I haven't gotten very far yet (just completed the Shakuras missions) so I will withhold my opinions until a later time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:54:03 AM by Nillo » Logged

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: November 16, 2015, 09:17:51 AM »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553404370
rip videogames
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: November 16, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »

seems like any garbage can get on steam these days smh...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: November 16, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »

One old and one new - Faster Than Light and Legacy of the Void. FTL is a really wonderful game, especially with the advanced edition features. It's difficult as heck, but still fun to play when I lose. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been any "FTL clones" in the years since it was released (or at least none that I know about). Mainly because it's so unique in gameplay mechanics; it plays nothing like the other space sims on the market. The closest thing to FTL that I can think of is the board game Galaxy Trucker. Or Firefly.

there is actually one FTL "clone" called convoy, which is like FTL in a mad max esque setting with squad based vehicle combat (tho not as different from FTL combat mechanics as you would think) and more freeform exploration. It's pretty good.

Also check out the boardgame Red November which has a surprising amount of parallels (iirc the FTL devs mention that one as an inspiration). There's also another more complex spaceship crew boardgame but I can't remember the name. I think it might be called Battlestations or sth? EDIT: Yes its called Battlestations:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12350/battlestations

Also Space Alert by the same designer as Galaxy Trucker is somewhat similar I guess.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:38:39 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »

seems like any garbage can get on steam these days smh...
what could possibly go wrong?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: November 16, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »

I can think of a number of prospective paths that could lead to a revitalization of the Bubsy franchise.

None of them go through "Encourage people to pay money for Bubsy 2".
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: November 16, 2015, 10:04:50 AM »

is bubsy even that bad? i mean bubsy 3d is obviously terrible, but the other games just seem like decent platformers to me from what i've seen. what gives?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: November 16, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »

I never had problem with bubsy, it's not broken, just terrible level design but even then I could deal with it, it's way "underrated" as in it's not not as terribad as the legend make it, it's not cheetahman2. I think most of the mockery comes from the sonic wanabe style platformer who left a mark in missing the point just like awesome possum. The worst sonic wanabee is still sonic himself Sad

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: November 16, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »

is bubsy even that bad? i mean bubsy 3d is obviously terrible, but the other games just seem like decent platformers to me from what i've seen. what gives?

It just was a very brief flash in the pan in the 90's during the 'mascot era' craze that Sonic and Mario triggered. It was one of the not as crap mascots that survived enough to make it to a sequel. Average platformer with a pop culture spewing bobcat. Not memorable at all.

From the looks of it these guys just acquired the rights from some bankruptcy auction and are just trying to make a quick buck.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7710 on: November 16, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »

I think most of the mockery comes from the sonic wanabe style platformer who left a mark in missing the point just like awesome possum. The worst sonic wanabee is still sonic himself Sad

i think people these days just see bubsy 3d and think that trainwreck is indicative of the rest of the series lol
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7711 on: November 16, 2015, 01:34:35 PM »

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is the best sonic, just so there's no confusion

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: November 16, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »

jazz jackrabbit is so crap I don't understand the following. I also like "not memorable character" nobody could shut the crap about during almost 20 years.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: November 16, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »

cliffy b needs to make a jazz jackrabbit cover shooter
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: November 16, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »

I'm amazed that the developers of Bubsy 3D went on to make the Syphon Filter series. From the worst third person controls to some of the best ever imo.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7715 on: November 16, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

Jazz 3D was in the making and cancelled, but not before alex brandon already made

for it so everything turned out for the best

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: November 16, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »

Bubsy is a suck arse game with a character who is annoying beyond words. The sequel ain't much better. I was right to skip over Bubsy 3D, I watched a video of that shit on Youtube and threw up a bit in my mouth.

I think a Shadow the Hedgehog style sequel is what is needed. By default it would be the best in the series.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: November 16, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »

I'm amazed that the developers of Bubsy 3D went on to make the Syphon Filter series. From the worst third person controls to some of the best ever imo.

im guessing bubsy 3d was probably an unfinished game that was rushed out early.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: November 16, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »

The original Bubsy was an average platformer. The varied character death animations and plentiful one-ups helped balance out the single hit deaths. The levels were lovely and you had the motivation to complete each world to find out what kind of scenery would appear in the next.

Bubsy 2 was a mess of uninspired, similar looking levels and non-existent plot that left the player with no feeling of progression. The NerfTM BallzookaTM co-branding was awkward and forced, and only highlighted how uninteresting the auto-scroller flying SHMUP levels were. The game featured a handful of irrelevant characters like Arnold the Armadillo who had no relevance to anything going on in the game, but were there because they were featured in the

. Accolade was trying to expand the IP way too rapidly for a mostly mediocre character who had one average game release under his belt in a crowded market.

Bubsy 3D was a low point on a chart that was trending rapidly down from the start.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: November 16, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

I still can't believe sonic survive on name alone, it has only his legacy and nothing else ...

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic