Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 06:12:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTerraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Terraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION  (Read 45675 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »

the rabid minecraft fanboyism in this thread is making me nauseous
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2011, 02:11:02 PM »

i didn't like minecraft all that much, and never got addicted to it and only played it a few times but i admire what it did for indie games, and have no problem with people who enjoy it. it's not a game for me, but it's good at what it did, and serves a (large) niche

i haven't played terraria yet but eva tells me it's better than minecraft because it's finished, less buggy, and has more real content -- i also saw a tweet or a post somewhere saying that terraria is proof that it's easier to make 2d content than 3d content -- it seems like it's a step in the direction from minecraft to a game i'd like to play

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »

Having an ugly game is one thing.  (And Terraria doesn't necessarily look ugly so much as very amateur, TBH)  Having sprites heavily ripped from a popular property is another bunch of apples entirely.  It's almost insulting -- ESPECIALLY if you're "enlightened", as another poster put it.

I mean I do like the game at the end of the day, don't get me wrong.
TRONMAXIMUM
Level 0

alpha six productions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »

has more real content
Having more content doesn't mean the game is better, if the content isn't good. A common complaint that I hear is that the game has more content, but it's all empty content that has little effect on anything.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »

Just a quick note: if you're going to say stuff like:

For how stupid, boring, terrible, amateurishly designed and ripped-off this game is

Please, explain why.

Thank you.

Personally, I have no itching to try this out; it isn't my kind of game. That's all.

A cool thing to notice is that we're probably witnessing the creation of a new genre. Similar to how all FPSes were "Doomlikes", or that puzzle-game-craze after Popcap. This genre, then, could be called "Minecraft-likes". While some of them are flagrant "rip-offs", what with them not adding anything, this game feels more like an "elseworld", you know?

Like, "what if Minecraft had been a 2d adventure?" That's the feel this game is giving me.

PowRTocH
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »

You forgot "get lucky" after "Add working multiplayer".

But yeah I look stupid. Internet trolls are terrible.

You're clever.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2011, 03:05:04 PM »

Just a quick note: if you're going to say stuff like:

For how stupid, boring, terrible, amateurishly designed and ripped-off this game is

Please, explain why.

Thank you.

What I'm really trying to say is that all the hatred here seems exaggerated to me, and probably misdirected. Maybe that one single sprite was ripped, maybe there are still lots of issues with the design, maybe it's monotonous, whatever, but that doesn't make the whole game terrible.

Wink

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
PowRTocH
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »

Wink
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »

Mostly I'm just sitting here going "Why is this so rabidly successful, it looks like a steaming pile of shit out of Yoyo forums".
But when I sit down and think about it, it has all the ingredients for videogaming cocaine:

>Randomly generated world with interesting features
>Building
>Item crafting
>Large variety of enemies and items
>Quests?
>Working multiplayer
!!!

Now I'm not so surprised it's successful, its just the execution that's horrible.  Like a rough, uncut gemstone.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »

Wink

I used him as an example because I know he didn't mean it. Note how I didn't include the rest.  Wink Wink Wink Wink
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »

Quote from: mooosh
there is no filler garbage. things like health upgrades ..

Quote from: mooosh
most recent Minecraft updates do close to nothing (.. redstone ..)

I don't really play either at the moment

but health upgrades are really nothing exciting?

and redstone is fucking awesome

edit :: jukeboxes, okay, yes, they do probably nothing. compasses are pretty cool, but don't do a ton (they have been requested by players forever though. but importantly: neither of these probably took very long.

the achievements seem pretty dumb and pointless.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:02:04 PM by Droqen » Logged

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »

I honestly don't see why anybody is even taking people opinion's seriously when all they can offer up is "it looks like a shitty game". It sounds to me like most of you accusing it of being no fun haven't even played it. As much as I thought it was going to be yet another Minecraft ripoff, I've played it and enjoyed it for 20 hours so far.
That said, there are certainly some issues with it - the worms are really annoying early on, the lack of recuperation time after hits can get hard to handle, and a lot of content (like biomes and items) seem to be missing. Considering that the game had to be pushed out early due to a leak, though, I think I can excuse some of that. As long as the developers keep updating the game, I don't have any qualms, really. I'll admit that the player sprites are pretty clearly based on FF sprites, but I don't think that's a huge enough issue that the game should be outright dismissed as an unplayable ripoff.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2011, 11:41:45 PM »

Did people forget that Notch tweeted positively about Terraria in the first place.

Beyond it's unpolished and roughs surface it does something that most games often fail on, it's pure fun to play, take note.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »

Did people forget that Notch tweeted positively about Terraria in the first place.

Beyond it's unpolished and roughs surface it does something that most games often fail on, it's pure fun to play, take note.

No we're waiting for Tarn and Zach's word on this since they are the real fathers of this genre unless Will Wright green lights this game then shoot only can complain about lack of playing it.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:49 AM »

No we're waiting for Tarn and Zach's word on this since they are the real fathers of this genre unless Will Wright green lights this game then shoot only can complain about lack of playing it.

Clearly they're all manic digger ripoffs anyway, dwarf fortress too!

Jokes aside though, I think tracking the origin of any 'genre' becomes hard considering inspiration is very much 'everywhere'.

Anyone remember the stranded games?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:18:02 AM by eld » Logged

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2011, 12:47:35 AM »

And don't forget roguelikes, especially survival-oriented ones like Alphaman or Unreal World.

I've grown to like this game more as I've played it longer. The main issue is that the game has a really slow start. It takes forever to mine a significant area - the amount of time spent on each block is OK, but the tiny block scale makes it a significant coordination challenge to take out large areas. This is compounded by the whole "you don't have a good pick, so it takes longer at the start" thing.

Similarly, combat at the start is painful, especially with the high spawn rates. Once I found a magic boomerang in the caves it got a lot easier, but still annoying in some respects. It seems to be designed to become progressively less annoying as you continue, which is not a good way to design combat.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »

I guess the 'plays like Minecraft' point stands against this, but from what I've seen Terraria resembles much more Clonk (man that game rocks) than MC.
 I haven't played the game yet, but from the gameplay videos my thoughts are
1. The graphics are quite awful indeed, hopefully they'll be worked on.
2. There's no way this game could have intuitive controls.
3. Looks amazingly fun, I really hope this plays well.

For the balance criticism I can't say anything, but hopefully that's something that'll be worked on. On my part I don't quite get the hate certain (I count 2) users are spewing in this thread about ripping stuff off and such. Granted, the FF graphics thing was quite lame!  Tongue

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »

Hempuli your right this is a Clonk-like.
Not to mention worms also dived into terrain destruction and building.
Through now I guess people tick off someone getting paid for a game others made even for free.

So any secrets or shout outs to other indie games found in Terraria?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:06:08 AM by Rumrusher » Logged
Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2011, 03:17:43 AM »

i don't think this is anything like clonk. clonk is fiddly as shit and less actiony.

indy games are a bull shit
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2011, 03:36:56 AM »

i don't think this is anything like clonk. clonk is fiddly as shit and less actiony.

Clonk is an example of an excellent game suffering from horrifying controls and bad design decisions. I agree that it's not as action-y, but the similarities are quite prominent to me.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic