Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412104 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 27, 2024, 04:16:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTerraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Terraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION  (Read 45699 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:37 AM »

Dwarf Fortress took its digging mechanic from Dungeon Keeper just FYI.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2011, 04:46:42 AM »

It's time to trace genealogy properly, who want to start the picture?

Digging, mining, crafting, fighting

shig
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2011, 05:46:37 AM »

that sounds boring

btw, boss fights are always more boring on games with customizable terrain and procedurally generated maps. Since this game is 2d, I was hoping it had more interesting meelee combat options and faster, awesomer platforming. Nope.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »

Anything is more enjoyable in multiplayer.
i would have more fun playing with a wooden stick and a like-minded friend than alone with the best single player video game that exists.

That was my 2 cents

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2011, 06:49:07 AM »

So I just played it for a few hours, and I was right.  It is an unpolished piece of shit.
But its a piece of shit that's fun to throw at things and jab with a stick y'know?

In all seriousness the Terraria guys are sitting on a gold mine, but this really needs to be put back in the oven until it's done.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2011, 07:37:40 AM »

Well, much like with minecraft, people can eat the cake while it's baking.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »

I was hoping it had more interesting meelee combat options and faster, awesomer platforming. Nope.

I think this is a big part of why I can't enjoy it. Maybe ranged continues to get more interesting, but I can't imagine the melee ever really becoming more interesting.

oh and the platforming sucks, hard

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »

This game is excellent. I bought it the day it was released, and i haven't stopped playing it since. In fact, in the past few days i have already racked up a quarter of the time i have spent playing Minecraft, and i have owned that for 2 years. The graphics make absolutely no difference to the gameplay, i for one think they look really nice. Some really smooth animation in there, even if the main characters are slightly edited FF sprites.

It's easy to see why people compare this to Minecraft, but it is a totally different experience. It is SO much better.

Terraria actually gives you a sense of progression that Minecraft simply cannot deliver. There is a reason for building houses, a reason for building armour. It is absolutely packed with content.

Yesterday alone, me and my cousin:
- Fought a giant eyeball that once it had lost a significant amount of health, lost it's lens and became a giant mouth with supersharp teeth.
- Visited hell, and was utterly crushed by a giant worm made of bone.
- Destroyed a shadow orb, which caused a meteroite to crash into the earth. We proceeded to fend off its inhabitants while we mined the entire meteorite out of the ground. (Which we then used to make armour).
- Fought another giant worm, this time with hundreds of eyes, which was summoned from a different shadow orb. Everytime a section of this worm was destroyed, it split into even more worms which had to be battled individualy.
- Had our town attacked by a huge Goblin army. The battle lasted 10-15 minutes, in which time we had to protect our villagers against being killed by the Golbins (which we failed at, as three of our villagers met an untimely end) whilst making sure we stayed alive. In the end we crushed the Goblin army, leaving us with a ton of money and tons of spiky balls to throw at future enemies. We'll be prepared for these guys should they attack again.

Seriously, if you don't think this game sounds like fun (or sounds like it has a shit ton more to do than Minecraft) then you should go see a doctor. Or a nurse. But don't come to our village because she died horribly at the hand of a Goblin Warrior.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »

SO basically it's a character based RTS?
Mining, digging, crafting, fighting is the equivalent of explore, expend, exploit, exterminate ... I think I got the formula down

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2011, 09:11:50 AM »

One thing I like about Minecraft is its "lack of progression" tbh.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »

Careful, Sinclair. I can hear them now. I can hear them reading your post and screaming that Minecraft does, in fact, have progression.

They are coming.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »

But ultimately everything you do in Minecraft is pointless. I could spend hours and hours in MC digging stone and building a huge mansion, but there is no purpose behind it.

Whereas if i spend hours in Terraria, i can build up a town and have people move into it, expanding my range of options within the game.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »

Notch spoke a lot about quests and similar stuff a year or two ago- this seems to be either on the backburner, or completely cancelled now though.

Besides for the very weak achievement paradigm, I'd also argue that MC has no set progression.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »

But ultimately everything you do in Minecraft is pointless. I could spend hours and hours in MC digging stone and building a huge mansion, but there is no purpose behind it.

Whereas if i spend hours in Terraria, i can build up a town and have people move into it, expanding my range of options within the game.

Which ultimately serves the same purpose as in Minecraft: To not have stuff kill you

Also all that mining does get you things that increase your range of options, redstone, near invulnerable and powerful tools, unique use items, etc.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »

There is no purpose behind any of it, Nugsy; it's a game.
The purpose is to have fun, not work at a game so that it can give you more ways to work at getting the next thing.

I think that's what Sinclair was saying and if not then it's what I am saying.

(Also: I am not insisting that nobody who plays Terraria has "real fun", just saying that it does have a certain level of reliance on progression and I am also backing up what Sinclair said about Minecraft's "lack of progression" and how it is nice. It is.)

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2011, 09:45:46 AM »

I would so play this game if it wasn't for the fact I be buying Dwarf Fantasy shoot reading this spark interest for this game, given some modification of the sprites to look less copyrighty.
So is it like multiplayer on top of the NPC coming in or that part straight Singleplayer?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »

i thought minecraft's tech tree is a form of progression -- e.g. you need to build simple tools and use simple and easily accessible materials to build more advanced tools and find rarer materials. but i didn't play the game much

i tend to prefer games with a sense of progression because of the sentiment in this nietzsche quote

"What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power itself. What is bad? All that is born of weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome."

there are of course games that don't do that that are still good, but i do like when you begin a game really weak and gradually over time build up your powers until you're godlike near the end

minecraft did have some of that because if you begin the game in a random undeveloped world you are pretty weak and helpless, and gradually over time you can build up your power

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »

Which ultimately serves the same purpose as in Minecraft: To not have stuff kill you

But all enemies on Minecraft require the same tactic to defeat: Hit, move back, repeat.

Also all that mining does get you things that increase your range of options, redstone, near invulnerable and powerful tools, unique use items, etc.

I agree with this, but once you have those items (Which doesn't take long). That's it, you're done. There are no other options, no other routes to take or alternate methods to obtain them.

There is no purpose behind any of it, Nugsy; it's a game.

It depends how you define purpose. Going by my example, if i spend hours building that house in Minecraft, i have achieved nothing. Whereas with the Terraria example, at least i have progressed myself on to the next stage of the game.

The purpose is to have fun, not work at a game so that it can give you more ways to work at getting the next thing.

This is a pretty strange thing to say. Games have been designed around this principle for years. Take SMB3 as an example, you "work" at a level so that it gives you access to the next one.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »

Ultimately everything you do in "life" is pointless.. etc. It's an open game.

I agree though, I find Minecraft boring.. but something like LOVE looks interesting. (Multiple procedural growth instead of one person mining).

How is everyone finding the AI in Terraria? And how well can you "grief"?

destiny is truth pre-op
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »

Quote from: Nugsy
It depends how you define purpose. Going by my example, if i spend hours building that house in Minecraft, i have achieved nothing. Whereas with the Terraria example, at least i have progressed myself on to the next stage of the game.

Do explain.

There is no "end point" to advance to in either game.
You could be remaking your village out of Meteor Ore with hellforged equipment with every NPC while teabagging Cthulhu with your neigh-invulnerable ballsack but you're still no further anywhere than at the beginning of the game.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic