Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411748 Posts in 69406 Topics- by 58460 Members - Latest Member: hideworks

May 23, 2024, 02:39:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 47406 times)
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: November 20, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »

that tank game which looks like a blast
It got panned by reviewers. Apparently the single-player is very repetitive (not only in mission design, but also in requiring you to complete the same missions multiple times to unlock more) and the controls are very limited (complaints about only being able to shoot in the direction you're moving and stuff). It's sold at full-price of $50, so despite having had a lot of fun with Tokyo Wars in the arcade (Tank! Tank! Tank! is the spiritual sequel to Tokyo Wars) even I won't be buying it until it hits budget bins when I do get a Wii U (not buying one right now due to the price and currently no interesting games for me, especially after TTT turned out disappointing (it was the game I was most looking forward to)).

EDIT: Though I haven't seen the Wii U version in action yet, if the PS3 version is any indication, Tekken Tag 2 is very good.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 20, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »

It looks like Nintendo is really pushing the online community aspect with the Wii-U. Miiverse is basically just message boards for all the Wii-U games, albeit they support both text and drawn posts. If you have Miiverse active, while on the Wii-U menu you'll see random posts from people on the boards. Periodically this is cool when somebody draws something neat.

The Mario U message thing is better when you set it to let you read messages, but not bug you about posting your own. One of the more clever features is that if you die in a way that other players have died, you'll get to see messages posted by those dead players. It's just barely tinged with the flavor of Dark Souls co-op. Periodically you see a drawn message that's really cool.

Pikmin 3 is the first big hit game I'm hoping for, and I'm hoping we see a Trauma Center title sooner than later.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 20, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »

Picked one up, digging it so far. We should share our Nintendo network IDs. Mine is belugacat. Feel free to add me!
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 20, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »

I will get one as soon as one is available to me, but so far everywhere online and IRL is completely sold out  Sad

Think happy thoughts.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »

My Nintendoverse name thing is "SirNiko".
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:50 PM »

Mine is "SeanZA" I've been playing lots of NintendoLand and some of the games are actually really really fun. The Luigi's mansion and Mario Chase are great. The DK one is hilarious sometimes, lots of fun with a group. Also got NSMBU and so far it is good. Nintendo games in HD look nice  Grin
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 23, 2012, 12:45:41 AM »

ZombiU looks gimmicked up and not worthy to be a game.
It really isn't

By that I mean it's actually pretty cool.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 23, 2012, 02:01:05 AM »

It really isn't

is it worth getting the console for if it's the only launch title i'm interested in?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 23, 2012, 03:47:09 AM »

Kind of sad that I've gotten the console to freeze three times since launch. Mario U froze up when starting a level, and twice it froze up when starting the "Zelda" game in Nintendo Land.

More obnoxious is the fact that when the console freezes, there's no way to turn it off without unplugging the power. Turning off the controller doesn't affect the console, and holding the power button like you'd do on the Wii does nothing.

I'm liking the way Nintendo Land is loaded with tiered accomplishments so I can keep playing the games to try to get higher scores. I'm slightly disappointed at the thought that Wii U doesn't support achievements, so optional challenges like killing ten bats in a row or beating a level under some par time that the PS3 and 360 versions of multiplatform games would implement through the achievement system have to be retooled to even exist on the Wii-U. Or maybe there's something I'm missing?
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: November 23, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »

It really isn't

My definition of a gimmick is when the same thing/functionality is achieved in a more indirect/convoluted way.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 23, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »

That's why smash bros is a superior game? No need for "hadoken" input. Why not have a win button gameplay is so gimmicky Wink
/sarcasm

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: November 23, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »

A win button ignores functionality.

It is about what you can express in the game with the least overhead possible. The less you achieve it the more your game tends to become a gimmick.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:45:45 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
deathtotheweird
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »

derp

pretty much never a good idea to buy a console for a launch title, no matter how good it is.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »

What's the gimmick you're talking about? Inventory accessed via the controller?

I like the idea of making the game more action oriented by not pausing while the player fiddles with the stuff they're carrying. It takes inventory management, a gaming element that has existed for years, and freshens it up by adding new concerns. Rearranging your backpack so you can quickly get the things you need becomes a major consideration where other games this can be an afterthought.

I haven't played Zombie U. I hope somebody will give a little more detailed discussion about it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 23, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »

dum
im probably going to get a wii u sooner or later anyway. what im asking is if the launch title that interests me is good enough to buy it now or if i can wait.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: November 23, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »

That's why smash bros is a superior game? No need for "hadoken" input. Why not have a win button gameplay is so gimmicky Wink
/sarcasm
Actually, that is the main reason I dislike the Street Fighter series; a lot of the game involves just memorizing how to do the correct inputs to various moves (whereas in other games like Tekken there is a clear pattern as to what each kind of input does, and if you've gotten enough of a feel for the game you can even reasonably guess how to execute a move by just seeing it). I like it when the learning curve in fighting games is about how to make good use of a character's abilities, not figuring out what those abilities are in the first place.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 23, 2012, 02:26:04 PM »

It's harder to learn Street Fighter inputs than Tekken's.  What the fuck.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: November 23, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »

Street fighter rewards too much mastering input-gimmicks. It limits the potential scope of personal expression. Ideally every move should be performed by a direct button-press. The affected balance should be handled by the delay-properties of the move itself and not be dependent on the input-speed of the player. That is a fundamental difference separating Tekken from Street Fighter.

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 23, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »

I fucking hate you.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic