Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412009 Posts in 69462 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Gods Of Fire

July 03, 2024, 12:23:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 520880 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: February 02, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »

oh, there's more in that article that i missed which deals with eva's influence:

In 1995, Hideaki Anno wrote and directed the controversial anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. This show became popular in Japan among anime fans and became known to the general public through mainstream media attention. It is believed that Anno originally wanted the show to be the ultimate otaku anime designed to revive the declining anime industry, but midway through production he also made it into a heavy critique of the culture eventually culminating in the controversial, but quite successful film The End of Evangelion (1997) which grossed over $10 million. Anno would eventually go on to produce live action films. Many scenes in the Evangelion TV show were so controversial that it forced TV Tokyo to clamp down with censorship of violence and sexuality in anime. As a result when Cowboy Bebop (1998) was first broadcast it was shown heavily edited and only half the episodes were aired. The censorship crackdown has relaxed a bit, but Evangelion had a major effect on the television anime industry as a whole.

In addition, Evangelion started up a series of so-called "post-Evangelion" shows. Most of these were giant robot shows with some kind of religious or difficult plot. These include RahXephon, Brain Powerd, and Gasaraki. Another series of these are late night experimental TV shows. Starting with Serial Experiments Lain (1998) late night Japanese television became a forum for experimental anime with other shows following it such as Boogiepop Phantom (2000), Texhnolyze (2003) and Paranoia Agent (2004). Experimental anime films were also released in the 1990s, most notably Ghost in the Shell (1995), which alongside Megazone 23 (1985),[14] had a strong influence on The Matrix.[15][16][17]

@jakman

arbitrarily defining modern anime as anything after eva (1995), and excluding miyazaki (since i see his anime more as classic anime made in modern times), the modern anime i've seen that i can think of offhand are:

lain
ghost in the shell (the original movie)
cowboy bebop
paranoia agent
death note
millenium actress
paprika
flcl
metropolis
pokemon (a couple episodes)
one piece (a couple of episodes)
steamboy
tenchi muyo in love
inuyasha (a couple episodes)
naruto (a couple episodes)
yu-gi-oh (a couple episodes)
jin-roh
vampire hunter d: bloodlust

probably more but that's all i can think of right now. i liked only about 25% of what i listed above

@davidcaruso - haha, i've a schedule to keep! maybe tomorrow i can talk about it

cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 02, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »

My favorite anime list almost exactly coincides with Phuban's, except he is missing the old Guyver OVA (probably my favorite anime) and The Legend of the Overfiend / Urotsukidoji. Also, Ghost in the Shell doesn't 'barely' make my list - it's on there firmly.

That said I loved Paprika, and there was a lot of good looking stuff in that gif-storm a few pages back. I'm definitely going to check out tatami galaxy , and bake monogatari, if I can get my hands on them

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »

The Tatami Galaxy is on Hulu and it is subbed. So if you don't mind ads there you go.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: February 02, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »

In RE: to Eres' list:

lain - watched this a few times, stoned, tried to like it... wasn't that great.
ghost in the shell (the original movie) - overrated, but visually interesting/good OST.
cowboy bebop - watched the first two episodes and wasn't feeling it; overrated.
paranoia agent - haven't seen it (I think I downloaded this recently or something though)
death note - never watched it but it seems very overrated/un-interesting.
millenium actress - might have seen, but I don't remember.
paprika - this is probably the only "good one" on this list. Would watch again.
flcl - it was "OK" but terribly, terribly overrated by those who watch it.
metropolis - not sure if I saw this or not, I think I did, but might not have enjoyed it.
pokemon (a couple episodes) - never watched.
one piece (a couple of episodes) - never watched.
steamboy - Pretty disappointing.
tenchi muyo in love - never watched but sounds "gay"
inuyasha (a couple episodes) - meh
naruto (a couple episodes) - looks pretty terrible/childish, never watched.
yu-gi-oh (a couple episodes) - same as above.
jin-roh - Saw this, but it was lame.
vampire hunter d: bloodlust - This was OK, but can't even come close to filling the shoes of the original.

Wow Eres, the whole list there is a very interesting sample; all of these are mediocre, disappointing, and largely overrated. It's strange that such a similar type of anime could come out of one era/period. This list really punctuates your point. This is an interesting study we're conducting. Gentleman

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: February 02, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »

yeah my thoughts on them are pretty similar to phubans' notes, with the exception that i did like death note, because it had a sherlock holmes element to it: lots of mystery and detective work, the plot was challenging to follow, and not in a *what's going on this is too confusing all this random stuff* kind of way, but in a *pay attention to the small details and clues, they matter* way

what i mean is that there's a difference between plots which are confusing at first but can be figured out through thought and make sense after you think about them, and plots which never make sense no matter how much you think about them because they aren't designed to make sense, and death note was the former
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:12:13 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #365 on: February 02, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »

Black Rock Shooter released ;DDDD

PowRTocH
« Reply #366 on: February 02, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »

In all of the cases where there the anime is a manga adaptation the manga is better.

Also Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is probably the best mainstream NA televised anime. They played Ninja Scroll on cable all the time when I was a kid (around 10-15) so I watched that a lot, it probably fucked me up a bit, but I liked it at the time.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 02, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »

it's pretty awesome that you guys dont like stuff

tell me more

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

There's a ton more manga for different audiences, manga whose runs span decades, and etc, so there are probably more cases of it not suffering of the stigma that modern anime suffers from.

There's probably more need for marketing and etc for anime, considering they compete over time-slots, bigger budgets, etc, and I guess pandering to otakus became a nice financial source.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: February 02, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »

Not a huge anime buff, but the modern anime I've seen that I liked:

* = movie

Cowboy Bebop (1998)
Perfect Blue (1998) *
Samurai Champloo (2004)
Mind Game (2004) *
Dead Leaves (2004) *
Aachi & Ssipak (Korean, 2006) *
Paprika (2006) *
Tekkon Kinkreet (2006) *
Gurren Lagan (2007)
Redline (2009) *

What's your thoughts on these, poobeans?
Kramlack
« Reply #370 on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »

Berserk (Manga) is worth checking out if you're okay with gore and some rapes. The 25 episode

, but it stopped on the biggest cliffhanger, so it's hard to recommend. Also there's a

coming out for it.

EDIT: Holy hell, I just checked the wiki and the first movie is coming out on Saturday! Wonder if that's theaters or DVD release.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »

Not a huge anime buff, but the modern anime I've seen that I liked:

* = movie

Cowboy Bebop (1998)
Perfect Blue (1998) *
Samurai Champloo (2004)
Mind Game (2004) *
Dead Leaves (2004) *
Aachi & Ssipak (Korean, 2006) *
Paprika (2006) *
Tekkon Kinkreet (2006) *
Gurren Lagan (2007)
Redline (2009) *

What's your thoughts on these, poobeans?

A lot of these are pretty popular, so of course Phubans is honor bound to hate them. I'm watching through Samurai Champloo at the moment, enjoying it so far. I've been meaning to watch Dead Leaves.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »

Berserk (Manga) is worth checking out if you're okay with gore and some rapes. The 25 episode

, but it stopped on the biggest cliffhanger, so it's hard to recommend. Also there's a

coming out for it.

Berserk is amazing. It's my favorite comic of all time.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »

redline is fucking awesome

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ink.inc
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

bobo i must find this anime
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: February 02, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »

Derek:

Cowboy Bebop (1998) I've only seen the first episode or two, so I can't say. It seemed to be stylish and like it was presented to be "these are cool characters, you should like them" instead of proving the characters' coolness organically. That said, it failed to dazzle me with it's hip and in-your-face attitude. /yawn... CODE BLUE RATING = DULL/OVERRATED

Perfect Blue (1998) * I'm pretty sure I've seen this, and I remember it being okay. I mean, it was some kind of thriller/drama if I remember correctly, which isn't really my favorite genre of any film medium usually. I believe I own it on VHS... Not super memorable for me, though. CODE GREEN RATING = IT WAS OKAY

Samurai Champloo (2004) I've heard of this but never saw it.

Mind Game (2004) * I *think* I've seen this. Is it the one that has rotoscoped live action sequences or something, similar to Waking Life? If so, it was very interesting and I wanted to see the whole thing but never finished it. CODE ORANGE RATING = SEEMS INTERESTING/WOULD WATCH AGAIN

Dead Leaves (2004) * This rings a bell. I'm not sure if I've seen it or not.

Aachi & Ssipak (Korean, 2006) * I saw this at my friend's place once. He was Korean so he forced everyone to watch movies like this and Oldboy and tried to convince everyone that Korean animation/film was just as good if not better than Japanese. WRONG. I don't remember much about this other than it seemed cool and weird, but I was probably really stoned. CODE GREEN RATING = IT WAS OKAY

Paprika (2006) * Actually saw this for the first time at the same friend's place. Most recently saw it in the checkout isle at Safeway and was baffled. This is actually a really good/interesting/trippy one that *almost* feels like a modern Akira. I'd love to watch it again sometime. CODE RED RATING = CONFIRMED EXCELLENCE/WORTH OWNING

Tekkon Kinkreet (2006) * Never even heard of this.

Gurren Lagan (2007) I only know this show as the one with that hot/slutty Yoko character that I've probably fapped to pics/cosplays of (a lot of girls cosplay as her and it's pretty hot). The name of the show and its popular seems obnoxious though... I hate those words "Gurren Lagan."

Redline (2009) *Never heard of it... I haven't really heard of anything that was made within the past 3~ years though.

Wizard THE SAGE HAS SPOKEN! Wizard

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: February 02, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »

Okay, this actually looks interesting. What is this?

ink.inc
« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »

They're all from Redline; Bobo suggested it to me a while back, and I've been meaning to watch it.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »

uggggghhhhhh same
it looks so goooooood too i have no clue why i keep putting it off
Kramlack
« Reply #379 on: February 02, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

@Swarms: You're friends with Tyvon and co aren't you? Why didn't you watch it when we were all balls deep into it? >:c

EDIT: The old thread I made for REDLINE.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic