Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411967 Posts in 69456 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 01, 2024, 11:52:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 520763 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2012, 02:38:27 AM »

japan really likes the romantic idea of amelie yeah

reminds me of Detroit Metal City

John do me a favor and watch Detroit Metal City you will like it is SUPER KAWAII
Is that the anime with the guy who rapes the Tokyo Tower? Cheesy

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2012, 02:44:41 AM »

i agree with phubans; japanese animation died with evangelion (it was the last terrible nail in the grave).

Why do you try to hurt me Paul?
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »

I really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Though there was some odd moments, like the weird fascination with the painting, I don't remember any major plot points that were glossed over. If you want another film by the same director, then check out Summer Wars. I would definitely say it's better than TGWLTT.

I saw Summer Wars. I liked it very much.

japan really likes the romantic idea of amelie yeah

reminds me of Detroit Metal City

John do me a favor and watch Detroit Metal City you will like it is SUPER KAWAII
Is that the anime with the guy who rapes the Tokyo Tower? Cheesy

That one!! Just for curiosity i checked it. I just keep laughing more and more in every episode Cheesy

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »

I saw a video of the "Tokyo Tower" part of DMC on YouTube a few years ago, but it seems like it's been removed by now. Maybe YouTube doesn't like videos about sex with buildings...  Tongue

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
ink.inc
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

i agree with phubans; japanese animation died with evangelion (it was the last terrible nail in the grave).

Why do you try to hurt me Paul?

Quote from: blademasterbobo
paul is the biggest troll on tigforums im not even joking

*watches first episode*

:(((((((((((((

Just watched Grave of the Fireflies again. Pretty much the most depressing film I've ever seen.

It's like what A Series of Unfortunate events would be like if it were an anime, except without any of the humorous overtones. Seriously, every shitty thing that could possibly happen to these kids happens.
Conker534
« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »

Anyone watching Another or Ano Natsu?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 02, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »

tell my future self i read it at page 15 so I pik it up \/\/he|\| i got the |\|et |3ak

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »

i may be the biggest troll but it's still genuinely true that evangelion is bad and destroyed anime, much in the way that star wars is bad and destroyed sci fi

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

Just watched Grave of the Fireflies again. Pretty much the most depressing film I've ever seen.

I dunno, Barefoot Gen was pretty harsh, too.  I actually found a copy of that on VHS at a nearby thriftstore for 50 cents.  Awesome.

I can't bring myself to watch it again.  I think it's been ten years.

At the moment I have Patlabor as my priority since it's Netflix and I have a terrible habit of never watching the movies I get from there.  My girlfriend and I put it on in the background while we were cooking but I wanted to actually watch it so we only got fifteen minutes in.  I wish Wings of Honneamise was available from Netflix 'cause I think she'd really like that one.
rdein
« Reply #329 on: February 02, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »

evangelion is a mess if only because they gave most freedom to gainax to toy with the plot
and gainax is
well
gainax is gainax

the manga is still ongoing with indefinite hiatus now and then

grave of the fireflies is unwatchable for a second time
namragog
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »

Evangelion is the best show.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »

Eres, every time I read stuff like that from you it blows my mind. How in the world are you able to, time and time again, proclaim your own subjective opinions as infallible objective truths? Do I just have a subhuman mind that's unwilling to break that barrier? Are you really the deity that governs all truth?

I don't mean to sound accusative or anything, I just really want to know your thought processes behind these statements...
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »

Existentialism. Maybe we're all in our own worlds, just sending crosstalk to one another. But mostly, I think this is Paul being bored and wanting to exercise his debate skills. This sort of thing is what you fight with girlfriends over.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »

@noah

what makes you think i was saying it was objective, let alone infallible? those are strange things to say -- to be clear, what i say is neither objective nor infallible. it's just what i believe is true right now. i change my mind often so it might be different later on, but for right now that's what i believe

as for the thought process behind the statements, the sci fi one is beyond the topic of this thread, but i can go into why eva is bad a little

it started a trend of 'psychology' based confusing plots, and largely ended the trend of 'traditional' plots. after eva, most anime seems devised to confuse the viewer, to make them have to figure out the plot (examples: flcl, paprika, serial experiments lain), rather than to just convey a fun story in an entertaining way (examples: voltron/go-lion, sailor moon, ranma 1/2)

it also, as phubans indirectly mentioned earlier, started the trend of troubled/emo protagonists rather than heroic ones. the classic anime heroes were actually *heroes*, whereas modern anime heroes are more wishy-washy. demon city shinjuku's hero was someone i looked up to and wanted to be like, and i don't really get that any more with modern anime, there's nobody to look up to and strive to emulate anymore. the closest in modern anime that i can think of is "L" in the death note -- and he's the heroic *antagonist*

so basically, i think eva, through its popularity, contributed to the end of the 'heroic' era of anime and brought about the 'psychologic' era, which doesn't appeal to me as much because i largely watched anime to be inspired, not to be depressed. that's not to say that there aren't still a few life-affirming, inspirational anime being created (miyazaki's studio ghibli, for instance, still largely creates inspiring anime), it's just not the trend anymore and is the exception rather than the rule, whereas it was pretty common in the 80s
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:45:27 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »

Existentialism. Maybe we're all in our own worlds, just sending crosstalk to one another. But mostly, I think this is Paul being bored and wanting to exercise his debate skills. This sort of thing is what you fight with girlfriends over.

no, i'm not bored at all, i haven't been bored in about 20 years actually. i also do not see this as a debate, since i'm not trying to convince anyone that eva is bad and destroyed anime, and am not seeking to present arguments for it (i did so only when specifically asked to), or to debunk arguments against it; i'm just claiming that it is bad and destroyed anime, since this is a thread about the discussion of anime. phubans brought up that he enjoyed classic anime and doesn't enjoy modern anime, so i was contributing to that conversation topic by saying that i too enjoy classic and not modern anime, and was presenting my theory about why that was so: that evangelion destroyed anime
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:47:28 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

namragog
« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »

Evangelion is the best show.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »

what makes you think i was saying it was objective, let alone infallible? those are strange things to say -- to be clear, what i say is neither objective nor infallible. it's just what i believe is true right now. i change my mind often so it might be different later on, but for right now that's what i believe

Okay, that makes sense. These days it's strange to see someone who isn't tripping all over themselves with "I just think"s and "in my own personal opinion"s. So for someone to just come out and say "Eva was genre-destroyingly bad" with no restrictions or delimiters, it's...well, it's boldness unfelt by the modern man.

Once again, sorry if I appeared confrontational. I had kinda assumed that your posts were written from the standpoint of "this is just what I believe," but I just wanted to clarify it to be sure.

So now that that's resolved: anybody out there watch

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

Modern anime tends to be less focused on "superhero" style shows with role-models and more focused on identifying with the viewer's emotions and struggles for personal inspiration. Keep in mind your differences in cultural perspective as well as dramatization and characterization before you say "PFFF IM NOT A SHY/TROUBLED/EMO WHINY BITCH".

Also:
Quote from: Paul Eres
what i say is neither objective nor infallible. it's just what i believe is true right now.
If read in a certain light that quote is amazingly contradicting.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05:18 PM »

@noah - hmm, i probably should have said the reasons when i first said it was bad but i assumed it was common knowledge -- there's a large segment of 80s anime fans who feel that eva marked the end of good anime, it's not just me

also to be clear, i don't think eva was badly made, or not entertaining. it was pretty entertaining, i enjoyed watching it, it was an interesting experiment. but after its enormous success anime strived to out-eva eva, by making their stories even more incomprehensible, and making their characters even more pathetic, and its influence can be felt pretty much in every anime created after it. it's as if the executive producers are like 'this anime won't sell unless it's like eva, so add in some confusing psychological stuff!' -- and none of them do it as well as eva did

@jakman - i'm not sure i see the contradiction in that quote, could you elaborate? also there are certainly cultural differences, but i think the generational difference is more important. even many native japanese anime fans in japan prefer 80s anime, so it's not just being from a different culture that does it

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

I don't know how true the statement that "many native japanese anime fans in japan prefer 80s anime" is, however it's certainly possible I suppose. Each generation comes with different preferences, values, and troubles, and it's totally possible that they just might not identify with the concerns of the protagonist, as I believe is your case.

Also the contradiction was in the fact you said you believed what you said to be true right after stating that what you say is "neither objective nor infallible". The "certain light" is when you read the "i believe" part in the sense that anything you know is what you believe, subjective or objective, from which you could reason you meant all of what you say you believe is true, or objective. Anyway, let's not get carried off talking about that. ANIMUS ARE MOAR IMPORTENT.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic