Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412109 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 29, 2024, 08:40:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 520634 times)
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »

The Pillows are the only Japanese band I have on my iTunes, they sound like a Japanese version of The Pixies Kiss.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »

I don't know what's more disappointing; the fact that anime has become what's in this thread, or the fact that you guys are buying into it. Now I understand why anime gets a bad rap and is equated with all of the negative male nerd stereotypes... I honestly don't get this modern seinen bullshit that's almost indistinguishable from shoujo. Then again, I don't get why 18 year old males are into My Little Pony, either. Perhaps I'm just too out of touch with today's generation, but I don't get this modern obsession with shows like Lucky Star, or that Katawa Shoujo crap, that's basically an all-female cast that seems to lure in desperate and lonely male types that wistfully wish these girls were real while humping their pillows or whatever. I don't know. I grew up with Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Demon City Shinjuku, Ping Pong Club... Plenty of anime that had male characters that I could relate to far more than these shoujo-infested anime. Argh, okay, I feel like I'm just ranting because I can't really articulate my thoughts on this subject but...

TL;DR - I haven't seen any anime past the year 2000 that was even close to being good, and the stuff that's all about little girls is a joke for ronery fanboys.

ink.inc
« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:29:29 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
iffi
« Reply #283 on: January 30, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »

Someone missed the last few pages of the thread.
Kramlack
« Reply #284 on: January 30, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »

I don't know what's more disappointing; the fact that anime has become what's in this thread, or the fact that you guys are buying into it. Now I understand why anime gets a bad rap and is equated with all of the negative male nerd stereotypes... I honestly don't get this modern seinen bullshit that's almost indistinguishable from shoujo. Then again, I don't get why 18 year old males are into My Little Pony, either. Perhaps I'm just too out of touch with today's generation, but I don't get this modern obsession with shows like Lucky Star, or that Katawa Shoujo crap, that's basically an all-female cast that seems to lure in desperate and lonely male types that wistfully wish these girls were real while humping their pillows or whatever. I don't know. I grew up with Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Demon City Shinjuku, Ping Pong Club... Plenty of anime that had male characters that I could relate to far more than these shoujo-infested anime. Argh, okay, I feel like I'm just ranting because I can't really articulate my thoughts on this subject but...

TL;DR - I haven't seen any anime past the year 2000 that was even close to being good, and the stuff that's all about little girls is a joke for ronery fanboys.

We stopped talking about moeblob stuff pages ago, Phubans.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 30, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »

sihg

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
iffi
« Reply #286 on: January 30, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

TL;DR - I haven't seen any anime past the year 2000 that was even close to being good

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »

The Tatami Galaxy was amazing. I started last night and wasn't able to stop watching until I finished.  Who, Me?

rdein
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »

lol

regarding what's actually being talked about here: i havent seen a few of these (namely the memories thing and tatami galaxy and ADDED THEM to the list, gonna watch those soon)

dunno how many of you are into BLACK AND WHITE MANGA as it looks like this thread is all about creaming for GAINAX, but there are also some pretty cool manga TO TALK ABOUT. should this thread be extended to that (please?)
iffi
« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »

There's already been some discussion of manga in this thread, so go ahead.
Conker534
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »

Yeah I'm the only one here that posts crap anyways.

WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #291 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »

i saw the first 2 episodes of gurenn lagann last night.  Addicted

'listen simon, don't believe in yourself. believe in the kamina who believes in you!'
ink.inc
« Reply #292 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04:49 AM »

The Tatami Galaxy was amazing. I started last night and wasn't able to stop watching until I finished.  Who, Me?

"I want to eat rice. A convenience store onigiri would do. Even if it was cold and hard, I'd trade 1000 fishburgers for 1 onigiri! But what I really want is Neko Ramen. A world where I could eat Neko Ramen. The ramen cart, setting up shop in the middle of the night... That is what I would call... Paradise."-Watashi

"While extolling the joys of the Renaissance man-like campus life, he continued to meddle in every single one of my lives. If only I had met Ozu, then I bet my campus life would have been a fun one. Ozu always seemed to be my only real friend..."-Watashi

"I feel like I've been waiting for those words for a very long time..."-Akashi

"GRAB LIFE! AND GRAB TITS!"-Jougasaki

"Just... start living."-The Master

That ending, bro. That ENDING.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:10:15 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »

Well I'm not only bothered by modern anime content, but also modern anime technique. Now that everything is digitized, the whole medium feels poorer for it. Nothing feels genuinely artistic or alive anymore; I miss the beautiful and highly-detailed watercolor paintings that were the backdrop for 80s - 90s anime scenes, from the important shots to the most mundane. I miss the atmosphere and pacing, too, which was perhaps the result of needing to hold shots longer or have less animation for the sake of budget. Though, this created a really moody, deliberate feeling that just doesn't exist anymore. The other things that I miss are some of the special effects that just aren't seen as much (but could easily be reproduced digitally, perhaps not to the same degree of analog beauty); it's that glow effect you see in 80s - 90s anime. The glow effect is likely the result of leaving a part of the animation cell (the part you want to glow) unpainted, and then dying it with whatever color you want or leaving it blank. The light from the table below shines through and creates this beautiful, dreamy diffuse glow that looks especially striking against the contrast of a dark background. Example:

I miss stuff that looks like this so much Cry

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 31, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »

I only recognized Tenshi no Tamago. What other two is? Looks gorgeous.

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: January 31, 2012, 12:33:27 AM »

The other two are from the same piece of animation, which is perhaps my favorite piece of animation of all time. Unfortunately it is only around 12 minutes long Sad It's Labyrinth labyrinthos, the first of three shorts in the compilation film Neo Tokyo.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:31 AM »

I don't know. I grew up with Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Demon City Shinjuku, Ping Pong Club... Plenty of anime that had male characters that I could relate to

yes i am sure punch-hero phubans could relate a lot to these guys (though i dont know anything about demon city or ping pong club)

also what the fuck is wrong with Gainax they made Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann you are crazy (ok this isnt exactly a secret that i believe you are CRAZY(crazy as nuts))

i also like the part where you are only 30 but you act like WHERE HAVE THE GOOD OL DAYS GONE
ink.inc
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2012, 01:27:51 AM »

Though I wasn't weaned on 80s/90s anime, it's not like I'm ignorant of your personal favorites either. Akira, Northstar, Vampire Hunter D... with the exception of the Ping Pong Club, these are all things I've seen and personally enjoyed. I can appreciate the intensity in those works, the camera work and the lighting. However, its still possible to find that pacing and moody deliberation (and manliness) that you so adore in a good number of modern anime as well. Good storytelling didn't go away just because you got a little bit older. You just have to keep an eye open.

Regarding your belief that we're all "buying into" this "shoujo-infested anime": a large portion of the posts regarding things like K-On (at least in this thread) largely fall into the realm of self-parody/deprecation. But even so, does watching a television show really herald the doom of our gender? That's insipid. At any rate, if you're so insecure as to think that the existence of these shows are destroying the public image of anime (and by extension, you), you can always affirm your sense of heterosexuality/nerd superiority by making fun of other nerds on internet nerd forums. We're here for you, Phubans. We're here for you.

PS: katawa shoujo is the gr8est; lilly #1 waifu <<<333  Gomez Gomez Gomez  Hand Pencil Hand Joystick Blink Concerned Cave Story
Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2012, 01:35:15 AM »

It's Labyrinth labyrinthos, the first of three shorts in the compilation film Neo Tokyo.
Gonna see it. This skeletons! Kiss

Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing (this anime created ONLY for Ishii Yasushi's music)
Henshi no Tomago (mentioned by Phubans)
Welcome To NHK!
Tokio Godfathers
Tekkonkinkreet
Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey (and all works by Leiji Matsumoto)

This is my favorite anime. No pictures, sorry

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2012, 01:59:37 AM »

Ignore Paul. He's an older-model PHU-B4N5 cyborg that's running on a script of hate and bitterness that automatically triggers when he detects certain key words or phrases. Surviving PHU's from before '86 tend to be pretty sensitive, so any number of things may have set him off... it's very likely he only read a few posts.

If you just wait a bit he'll switch to another script and shuffle off somewhere else.

Corny Laugh

(P.S. John, I'm stealing those Ghost in the Shell gifs for my cyberpunk tumblr - thanks in advance!!!)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic