Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412012 Posts in 69461 Topics- by 58492 Members - Latest Member: Gods Of Fire

July 03, 2024, 07:26:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1354616 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: February 08, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »

I'm a bit late for the early particles talk, but have you considered making those fire particles on moonman randomly in front and behind him? Since they're all behind him at the moment, and it doesn't feel like he's really on fire, no?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2221 on: February 08, 2014, 03:52:08 AM »

Yep, the fire is in front and behind in the latest version..

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2222 on: February 08, 2014, 04:45:20 AM »

Since this devlog is good to read and I don't want it to end, I think you should scrap everything and start again.  Well, hello there!
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »

Since this devlog is good to read and I don't want it to end, I think you should scrap everything and start again.  Well, hello there!

Don't give him ideas...
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »

Gifs and video! I am appeased. Tiger

Love the particles. Toast LeftSmileyToast Right
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2225 on: February 11, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »

Update: Did some big changes in the code as I work towards a more flexible scene-graph in my engine. Composite sprites like Moonman, now instantiate many entities, one for each part of the sprite. So there'll be a legs entity, a head entity, an arm entity, etc., and these can all be hierarchically linked together, have arbitrary z-ordering, and all the other things that generic entities can have (like separate render effects). This is all good stuff, but atm I'm just going to use it to perform nicer death animations -- as I never liked how the enemies just disappeared. Here's a quick prototype of what spider death may now look like -- rotate spider and add disappearing particles.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2226 on: February 11, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »

Could you make his legs cramp together when he dies? =o

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2227 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

Hey rundown, thanks for the comment. I tested a couple of cramped legs sprites, but I think I prefer the cartoony stiffness of the current one. I think its a good idea to have a 'dead' mode sprite, and I'll keep experimenting when I get a chance.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: February 11, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »

Hey! I'm going to call pETa (people for the ethical treatment of aliens)

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2229 on: February 11, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »

That would be cool if the spider kind of turned over instead of flipped instantly. It looks kinda weird right now. Also, since his limbs are now entities, couldn't they just fly off? That would be really cool!  Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2230 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »

Hey! I'm going to call pETa (people for the ethical treatment of aliens)

Its funny you say that, I'm actually a little disturbed by killing animals in games. I can kill people just fine, but the hunting sub-games in GTA or FarCry really bother me. I'm a vegetarian, but not a cannibal, so I'm not sure where these feelings come from. [:D] I'm probably going to have the green moon have a 'vegetarian' attribute, which penalises you for eating meat.

That would be cool if the spider kind of turned over instead of flipped instantly. It looks kinda weird right now. Also, since his limbs are now entities, couldn't they just fly off? That would be really cool!  Smiley

Oh it rotates over smoothly in 0.02 seconds or so, too quick to see in a gif. Tongue

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2231 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »

That would be cool if the spider kind of turned over instead of flipped instantly. It looks kinda weird right now. Also, since his limbs are now entities, couldn't they just fly off? That would be really cool!  Smiley

I think it acually is turning over, I looked at the gif and there is 1 frame where it is rotated. Must be the low fps of Licecap.

Damnit^ you were 5 sec sooner!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2232 on: February 11, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »

Ooh yeah I'm quick like that.

Also, check out this mad MM fan art by @SunraHeadgear!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 11, 2014, 08:28:34 PM »

I was wondering why you looked so green Huh?
I sympathize with vegan, I plan to veganify my life too, not completely but turning down meat as much as possible, too bad my environment isn't vegan friendly

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: February 12, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »

I was wondering why you looked so green Huh?
I sympathize with vegan, I plan to veganify my life too, not completely but turning down meat as much as possible, too bad my environment isn't vegan friendly

Maybe go vegetarian first and see if you're comfy with it before you try vegan... Oh, wait, "not completely" vegan kinda matches "vegetarian" already :-)
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: February 12, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »

Composite sprites like Moonman, now instantiate many entities, one for each part of the sprite. So there'll be a legs entity, a head entity, an arm entity, etc., and these can all be hierarchically linked together, have arbitrary z-ordering, and all the other things that generic entities can have (like separate render effects).

Cool, very cool. Dwarf fortress has a very detailed system of body parts (although they don't have sprites) and it is the source of much fun.

By the way, I noticed on my way home today, it's nearly full moon outside. That always means a burst of activity on this devlog. :D
_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2236 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »

Oh it rotates over smoothly in 0.02 seconds or so, too quick to see in a gif. Tongue

Well then.
What about the limb flying off thing?  Grin

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: February 13, 2014, 12:55:53 PM »

The only question worth asking about the new entity/component system, at least for a Javascript programmer/C++ noob like me is:

Can you make houselegs with it?

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2238 on: February 13, 2014, 01:23:30 PM »

I think it would be cool if you had multiple variation sof the spider death animation.  Sometimes he has stiff legs, sometimes they cramp up, and so on!  And it'd be a ton more work.  Smiley
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2239 on: February 13, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »

Update: Misc updates, humans now rotate to lying down position when killed, although their pants disappear for some reason. Also crocodiles.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:55:21 PM by eigenbom » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic