Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:34:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1322917 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 06, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »

B!

SoHaunted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 06, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »

I would choose B but add in one more darker shade of gray before the black so it blends in a little smoother.
wademcgillis
« Reply #762 on: June 06, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

B or C.

But B needs an extra level of shading before going to the darkest level.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 06, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »

The correct answer is D. Because the blockiness of the game is already apparent, it doesn't need an arrow pointing at it saying "look, they're blocks!" when shading is applied.
namragog
« Reply #764 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

maybe D but a lot darker...
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: June 06, 2012, 02:15:31 PM »

I'd vote C personally, seems like the happy medium, but go with B if that's your fav.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »

Wow, lots of discussion to see when I wake up, thx :D

You've all got some good comments, and @rek I do agree with you about the double blockiness happening with a-c.  The main problem with (d) is its a lot more expensive to do, so if I could find a non-blurred solution then that'd be better. I guess I'm fine with it being blocky, as long as I can blend the shading with the tiles better, so as not to reinforce their blockiness more than necessary.

The main problem I see with (a) and (c) is that you get those annoying banding artifacts from pixel art when you have gradients of pixels/blocks lined up next to each other.. In (c) I tried to reduce it by blurring the lighting together a bit and then re-blocking it, but the diagonals are especially annoying to me.

As long as I can achieve some semblance of Mood and Discovery with the lighting then I'll be happy. I might go with a variant of (b) for now until a better idea comes along. Smiley

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: June 09, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »

to B, or not to B, that is the question.
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: June 09, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

to B, that is the answer

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: June 09, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »

I think having [the darkest colour] pitch black would help for the sake of discovering things.
                                  edit
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:07:49 PM by mokesmoe » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: June 09, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

I'd go B

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 10, 2012, 03:36:06 AM »

C. Go C.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: June 10, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »

oh my, its like voices in my head, C! No B! No A! What?! D?! Argh! Who, Me?

Theophilus
« Reply #773 on: June 10, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »

fuse A and B

B, except with the same values as A. Like, make more colors.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: June 11, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »

Update: more experiments with lighting, this time i'm recording the direction the light comes from so i can attentuate light that travels around corners more.

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 11, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »

Update: more experiments with lighting, this time i'm recording the direction the light comes from so i can attentuate light that travels around corners more.

Hey man, I really like the work you're doing.  I was just messing with lighting on my own game; you might benefit from what I was doing. 

I remember you saying you're using SFML; I am as well.  For dealing with the shadows on the tiles, what I did was create a shadow render texture based on the tile world on screen.  So...I'm not sure how you're managing your tiles, but if you use a single render texture for them, you could put the texture onto a sprite, recolor the sprite to black, and draw it to a new shadow render texture. 
Apply a radial blur shader to it, and it creates a convincing "gradiant" effect that I think you're looking for.  If you want to get it more blocky, apply a shadow that pixelates the shadows and it would produce the same effect you're making there, very, very, very fast and without storage in individual tiles.

Not sure what your method is, but I'm sure it works really well, too.  Just thought I'd help out a little -- really like your style Smiley.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: June 11, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »

hey soulblade, thx for the tip. how does your method cope with very large worlds? and if it's just image-based lighting, how do you factor in lighting that comes in from off-screen?

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 11, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »

hey soulblade, thx for the tip. how does your method cope with very large worlds? and if it's just image-based lighting, how do you factor in lighting that comes in from off-screen?

Well my world is infinitely-sized and it works really well.  It's updated every frame using the same image that the tiles use.

So, for lighting the comes in from off-screen, all you need to do is manage a "null map" (I'm sure it has a real name, I just made that up).  The null map is all white, and where there are holes, you make that part transparent.  You multiply this map against the shadow map, and it creates holes in the shadow map that you can see through.  This can be done pretty easily using the SFML blend mode MULT.

If you manage the null map properly, you can create all the lighting holes in the shadow map you need from offscreen and on screen sources.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »

well it sounds cool, but i'm not quite following you. in any case, do you have any screenshots of it in action? cheers Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: June 11, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic